Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Official Habbo slowly going the way of HTML5 or other than Flash?

Reaction score
It's been discussed so much, Flash is becoming deprecated (eventually) and the world is moving on..

With the latest releases of Habbo, we've noticed that they're going the way of catalog images instead of reading them from the SWF file? Are they going the way of HTML5, or some other platform? I'm not aware as per the new catalog, since I haven't updated to it yet so I don't know anything about it (I've noticed things like colored chat and ALT codes in usernames) but was it really necessary to have us load even more files, meaning more bandwidth usage?

Each to their own opinions, I'm not sure what this means, so maybe someone can enlighten me.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Here is a official comment from a Sulake developer

Liam - Habbo slowly going the way of HTML5 or other than Flash? - RaGEZONE Forums

I think they are going to make a own program (ditching webclient) where you can play Habbo on. Like they have on their Habbo mobile.

Reaction score
Maybe they will just close it down. If their profits are declining every year why spend money on making it HTML5? Its already on mobile devices so HTML5 wouldn't give much of an boost there anyways.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have closed it down once all browsers stopped supporting flash.

Here is a official comment from a Sulake developer

Liam - Habbo slowly going the way of HTML5 or other than Flash? - RaGEZONE Forums

I think they are going to make a own program (ditching webclient) where you can play Habbo on. Like they have on their Habbo mobile.

That was two years ago.

In two years all major browsers have announced that they want to drop Flash.

If they go html5, they'll need a major rewrite. :)

Its the same as when they transitioned to flash. It will cost money and time but not impossible.

Unknown Place
Reaction score
Maybe they will just close it down. If their profits are declining every year why spend money on making it HTML5? Its already on mobile devices so HTML5 wouldn't give much of an boost there anyways.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have closed it down once all browsers stopped supporting flash.

That was two years ago.

In two years all major browsers have announced that they want to drop Flash.

Its the same as when they transitioned to flash. It will cost money and time but not impossible.

Ah, yeah, if they want to spend money and time on this, no problem at all, it can be certainly done, but they'll be on a all over process again, by coding, testing, fixing possible bugs and everything like this (ok, this is part of what time means as well heh).

Reaction score
If they go html5, they'll need a major rewrite. :)

Again.

I wouldn't be surprised if they move to HTML5 though. I just hope it's not a 2-year beta process all over again, like we've seen with Shockwave => Flash.

Ah, yeah, if they want to spend money and time on this, no problem at all, it can be certainly done, but they'll be on a all over process again, by coding, testing, fixing possible bugs and everything like this (ok, this is part of what time means as well heh).

Flash beta versions were pretty crude I must admit. As far as I remember, not even pets were coded in the first couple builds.

Note: 2017 and trax are still long-gone

Divine Celestial
Reaction score
What are you talking about they are already in the process of constructing a new layout of the clientele they are planning on having

Reaction score
What are you talking about they are already in the process of constructing a new layout of the clientele they are planning on having
Any proof? That they've extracted images from swf doesn't have to mean they would move on to something else. That was just an improvement to display items faster then load everything from swf directly.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Proof? They'll have no choice but to switch. It's official in 2020 Adobe is killing Flash. No more updates/support for it. rip

Reaction score
Proof? They'll have no choice but to switch. It's official in 2020 Adobe is killing Flash. No more updates/support for it. rip
They will stop doing support and updates for it. But some Browsers won't just remove it, Like Opera. Chrome and Firefox already are in the process of removing it. Microsoft Edge actually doesn't have it...

Flash flash it's going over like in a flash.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
An curious thing is: Habbo don't update the swf anymore, the last notable update was in 2016-07 (new catalogue).
1 year after 2016-07 (2017-07) has only 2 new things: room shake and removed badge/furni description...

Reaction score
An curious thing is: Habbo don't update the swf anymore, the last notable update was in 2016-07 (new catalogue).
1 year after 2016-07 (2017-07) has only 2 new things: room shake and removed badge/furni description...

This is rather interesting, actually. I'll come back (for everybody's misfortune) if Habbo goes to HTML5.

Reaction score
Just to clarify. If Habbo will be recoded, it will be WebGL, not just "HTML5". But it's still unlikely. It requires new team, which they don't have + they will have to rewrite mobile apps.

Btw. "Sulake is now looking for a Graphics Programmer for its new mobile product." https://www.sympahr.net/public/pq.aspx?8b474554

Back