Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Private Happy birthday Holograph! 10 year anniversary!

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Hello,

On this day, March 25th 10 years ago, in 2008, was created by Nillus, originally in VB.NET and then C#. It was released and open-sourced for the community, and since then, this project has been tested by many people, given birth to many nostalgic hotels that we all remember and has been contributed to by various members of this forums, including other forums that no longer exist

The reason why I know it's been 10 years, is due to the commit history on the Holograph repository, which by the way is still accessible 10 years later!

Unfortunately, many people have come and gone from the scene and it's sad to see such talented people go, but that's how life in general is.

Thank you Nillus, and the rest of the open-source community for creating such a famous and loved project that allowed us to play our own v23, v26 and v35/v36 hotels.

- Alex

Pl4yKU7 - Happy birthday Holograph! 10 year anniversary! - RaGEZONE Forums

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Reaction score
I think we should all think a moment about these days. We didn't pollute our emus with tons of dependencies and instead we relied on the framework itself. Only dependency was the MySQL connector.

Besides all of the dependencies emulators have nowadays, what about the complexity? Some emulators show some sort of OO practices and design principles. Were as this Holograph version laks all of it. I'd say we as a community have achieved a lot since those days..

But I think to know what you're trying to say. We have made it to a point where the emulators are too complex to work on. Newer (and mostly) younger people have no clue what those things do, what OO practices and design principles are. How can we expect new people to join and continue on what we have laid down? Were as Holograph was a fun and easy to understand (thus everybody could work on it), newer generations are to hard and boring(?).

Don't get me started on the things people (and the newer once) are expected to know. The experience we have earned from this mmo is huge. We all started like noobs. The only difference is that we started with this Holograph emulator, and others have to do it with Bfly, Arcturus and what else complexer emulator.

I could write more, but I think my point is clear to you all.

Retired
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Besides all of the dependencies emulators have nowadays, what about the complexity? Some emulators show some sort of OO practices and design principles. Were as this Holograph version laks all of it. I'd say we as a community have achieved a lot since those days..

But I think to know what you're trying to say. We have made it to a point where the emulators are too complex to work on. Newer (and mostly) younger people have no clue what those things do, what OO practices and design principles are. How can we expect new people to join and continue on what we have laid down? Were as Holograph was a fun and easy to understand (thus everybody could work on it), newer generations are to hard and boring(?).
I wouldn't say emulators are more complex today than back in those days, rather the contrary. My point was it is interesting how software development practices have changed over the years. I wasn't implying anything negative or positive about it. I can of course make a 10 page long post where I discuss dependency management hell, but I rather not (or should I?).

It makes sense that more emulators have more OO-patterns today than 10 years ago. As developers have matured and fed back to the community, the overall standard of emulators increased. Having lots of OO-practices around an emulator doesn't really make it complex. Parts of the reasons to use patterns is to attack complexity in a standardized way that achieves certain goals which most people know. In the short term, it becomes harder for people with no experience with the patterns to get into the project, but on the longer term you get less complexity because you avoid well-known problems and are able to deal with complexity in general much easier. It also makes it easier for seasoned developers as they instantly recognize which parts of the emulators does what. I would however say that as more features got added to the game itself, those made the emulators more complex.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
This was a nice project! I really liked it. Nillus it's my role model. I never learned to develop an Habbo Emulator. At least i took an old version of HoloCMS and adapted for new PHP versions, here:

demo:

topkek amirite??
Reaction score

Attachments

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Before the days of Holograph, we had Debbo. This section has come a very long way since then.

4d2b57a7dbb17b5b1752bfc755565a69 - Happy birthday Holograph! 10 year anniversary! - RaGEZONE Forums

885b11f23ddb1aacd404c9aa61d5a0e1 - Happy birthday Holograph! 10 year anniversary! - RaGEZONE Forums

Heh, and I still have all the archives of the Debbo releases. I loved Debbo, loved Marks server too, they were great!

Did you create the PixelEvo servers, if I remember correctly? :p:

Attachments

The World Is Yours
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Heh, and I still have all the archives of the Debbo releases. I loved Debbo, loved Marks server too, they were great!

Did you create the PixelEvo servers, if I remember correctly? :p:
It's been such a long time I don't remember much lol, I helped create Hablux at the very beginning but then I left the community for a while. Now I just browse here to see how much everything has changed over the years.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I remember that in those times there was also Hablog... :w00t:

iXs0JcI - Happy birthday Holograph! 10 year anniversary! - RaGEZONE Forums

Attachments

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I always saw those contributions, and I admired the capacity of its creators. As mentioned before, it was an impetus for many to learn and perform better. Even as a "collateral effect", even if you did not dedicate yourself, you ended up learning something, but that was not enough for such a contribution quality.

I have always admired the capacity they had in those days, probably today they surpass it by far. I contributed at the time in different projects in different ways (monetary rather than programming), I used Butterfly (in the golden years of my hotel) when Josh offered, thanks to my Spanish speaking hotel I was able to meet several people like the ones I described, and I wish you the best for the different contributions you made as a team.

Today everything is different, Holograph reminds us of those great memories of memorable times, teamwork and contribution were an important part of that, but the effort and individual perseverance even more. Today, few are willing to take it.

Back