Happy birthday Holograph! 10 year anniversary!

ModeratorRank
    Dec 2010 Join Date
    AustraliaLocation
    3,100Posts

Happy birthday Holograph! 10 year anniversary!

Hello,

On this day, March 25th 10 years ago, in 2008, Holograph was created by @Nillus, originally in VB.NET and then C#. It was released and open-sourced for the community, and since then, this project has been tested by many people, given birth to many nostalgic hotels that we all remember and has been contributed to by various members of this forums, including other forums that no longer exist

The reason why I know it's been 10 years, is due to the commit history on the Holograph repository, which by the way is still accessible 10 years later!

https://app.assembla.com/spaces/holo...=branch&page=3

Unfortunately, many people have come and gone from the scene and it's sad to see such talented people go, but that's how life in general is.

Thank you Nillus, and the rest of the open-source community for creating such a famous and loved project that allowed us to play our own v23, v26 and v35/v36 hotels.

- Alex

Last edited by Quackster; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:35 PM.

The Habbo archives: http://alex-dev.org/archive/

True MemberRank
    May 2007 Join Date
    North KoreaLocation
    1,102Posts

Re: Happy birthday Holograph! 10 year anniversary!

I think we should all think a moment about these days. We didn't pollute our emus with tons of dependencies and instead we relied on the framework itself. Only dependency was the MySQL connector.

Deep thoughts Happy birthday Holograph! 10 year anniversary! Joopie is offline
    Alpha MaleRank
    Jun 2010 Join Date
    The NetherlandsLocation
    2,634Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maritnmine View Post
    I think we should all think a moment about these days. We didn't pollute our emus with tons of dependencies and instead we relied on the framework itself. Only dependency was the MySQL connector.
    Besides all of the dependencies emulators have nowadays, what about the complexity? Some emulators show some sort of OO practices and design principles. Were as this Holograph version laks all of it. I'd say we as a community have achieved a lot since those days..

But I think to know what you're trying to say. We have made it to a point where the emulators are too complex to work on. Newer (and mostly) younger people have no clue what those things do, what OO practices and design principles are. How can we expect new people to join and continue on what we have laid down? Were as Holograph was a fun and easy to understand (thus everybody could work on it), newer generations are to hard and boring(?).

Don't get me started on the things people (and the newer once) are expected to know. The experience we have earned from this mmo is huge. We all started like noobs. The only difference is that we started with this Holograph emulator, and others have to do it with Bfly, Arcturus and what else complexer emulator.

I could write more, but I think my point is clear to you all.

True MemberRank
    May 2007 Join Date
    North KoreaLocation
    1,102Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joopie View Post
    Besides all of the dependencies emulators have nowadays, what about the complexity? Some emulators show some sort of OO practices and design principles. Were as this Holograph version laks all of it. I'd say we as a community have achieved a lot since those days..

But I think to know what you're trying to say. We have made it to a point where the emulators are too complex to work on. Newer (and mostly) younger people have no clue what those things do, what OO practices and design principles are. How can we expect new people to join and continue on what we have laid down? Were as Holograph was a fun and easy to understand (thus everybody could work on it), newer generations are to hard and boring(?).
    I wouldn't say emulators are more complex today than back in those days, rather the contrary. My point was it is interesting how software development practices have changed over the years. I wasn't implying anything negative or positive about it. I can of course make a 10 page long post where I discuss dependency management hell, but I rather not (or should I?).

It makes sense that more emulators have more OO-patterns today than 10 years ago. As developers have matured and fed back to the community, the overall standard of emulators increased. Having lots of OO-practices around an emulator doesn't really make it complex. Parts of the reasons to use patterns is to attack complexity in a standardized way that achieves certain goals which most people know. In the short term, it becomes harder for people with no experience with the patterns to get into the project, but on the longer term you get less complexity because you avoid well-known problems and are able to deal with complexity in general much easier. It also makes it easier for seasoned developers as they instantly recognize which parts of the emulators does what. I would however say that as more features got added to the game itself, those made the emulators more complex.

Advertisement