Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Private Jabbo JS (/HTML5?)

Reaction score
Hey,

So I've seen quite a few HTML5 projects, all started from scratch to move away from Shockwave and Flash. I know there has been a project before, called Jabbo, which was done in JS (/HTML5? not sure).

My question is, why didn't anyone continue from Jabbo? Was it that badly coded? Because it had quite a bit of functionality already so it would make life much easier to work from it and update the GUI to the new GUI (if wanted) and add more functionality.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Because Jabbo was built long before actual decent web standards. It's extremely outdated and exploitable. There was a project made by the same developer using the same code called Kynto which used different avatars and furniture.

Reaction score
Hey,

So I've seen quite a few HTML5 projects, all started from scratch to move away from Shockwave and Flash. I know there has been a project before, called Jabbo, which was done in JS (/HTML5? not sure).

My question is, why didn't anyone continue from Jabbo? Was it that badly coded? Because it had quite a bit of functionality already so it would make life much easier to work from it and update the GUI to the new GUI (if wanted) and add more functionality.

I actually continued the source and partially finished the project. I did not release it. I have it somewhere on an old flash drive. Let me see if I can find it and I'll be glad to release it.

A lot was accomplished, although there are some bugs.. such as exploits. Opened a test hotel one time and my database got deleted. I'm not good at fixing exploits so I left it alone.

If I find it, I'll let you know!

Reaction score
I actually continued the source and partially finished the project. I did not release it. I have it somewhere on an old flash drive. Let me see if I can find it and I'll be glad to release it.

A lot was accomplished, although there are some bugs.. such as exploits. Opened a test hotel one time and my database got deleted. I'm not good at fixing exploits so I left it alone.

Ah, sounds great! If you find it and decide to release it, I'll look around it and see how far I can fix exploits / improve tiny stuff. Maybe without exploits and such it could be useful to move away from Flash ASAP.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

Did you find it yet?

Reaction score
Ah, sounds great! If you find it and decide to release it, I'll look around it and see how far I can fix exploits / improve tiny stuff. Maybe without exploits and such it could be useful to move away from Flash ASAP.
I don't think Jabbo regardless of hot fixes would be suitable in the long term for retros. Architecture from the core up is even more important than if it does the right stuff. That's how we ended up with Snowlight, Uber, etc

Reaction score
I don't think Jabbo regardless of hot fixes would be suitable in the long term for retros. Architecture from the core up is even more important than if it does the right stuff. That's how we ended up with Snowlight, Uber, etc

Sorry - and this is mainly cause I'm not English - could you explain what you mean exactly?

Reaction score
Sorry - and this is mainly cause I'm not English - could you explain what you mean exactly?
If it was built without following web standards, probably means the source doesn't even use webpack/babel/etc. All of these things are extremely necessary evils to have an actual architectural flow that is long term oriented. Based on that and other comments, probably means the code is a jumble of ES4 /(maybe ES5) with maybe a few different files.

It could also be a huge mess if the CMS and the client are too packed together instead of being separate packages entirely/ 95% chance they are in the same source code.

So you can fix Jabbo's exploits, tedious bugs, but you'll never be finished. Each bug fix or exploit fix will inevitably lead you to another one because of how coupled together the source code is. Long term it's another unfinished, unstable and unusable product that was a waste of time for the few devs in this scene. Short term, well at least it has a working client vs other html5 projects that promise 15 different client revisions even though it truly can't promise any except for UI things.

Reaction score
If it was built without following web standards, probably means the source doesn't even use webpack/babel/etc. All of these things are extremely necessary evils to have an actual architectural flow that is long term oriented. Based on that and other comments, probably means the code is a jumble of ES4 /(maybe ES5) with maybe a few different files.

It could also be a huge mess if the CMS and the client are too packed together instead of being separate packages entirely/ 95% chance they are in the same source code.

So you can fix Jabbo's exploits, tedious bugs, but you'll never be finished. Each bug fix or exploit fix will inevitably lead you to another one because of how coupled together the source code is. Long term it's another unfinished, unstable and unusable product that was a waste of time for the few devs in this scene. Short term, well at least it has a working client vs other html5 projects that promise 15 different client revisions even though it truly can't promise any except for UI things.

Ah okay I guess that makes sense. I've never looked at it that way.

Reaction score
Ah okay I guess that makes sense. I've never looked at it that way.
I wish that the developers in the scene would promise less ambitious projects (Use me as an example of why these projects will inevitably under deliver). Things such as multiple revisions, a full CMS, mini games, etc are not needed for an entirely new concept with HTML5. It just needs to be a MVP that delivers a working client.

Reaction score
Actually, it has potential to become successful in a long term for retros. It doesn't have an emulator to run, therefore it can never "go down". Thus, not running an emulator means you don't need a VPS or a dedicated server. All you need is a website - and it can be accessed from any browser as the client doesn't use Shockwave or Flash - essentially, it can be accessed on mobile devices. The only thing you would need to change are the graphics itself, as they're copyrighted by Sulake. If you make everything custom (UI, hotel view background, icons, clothing, furniture) - you'd have a 100% legal retro!

Reaction score
Actually, it has potential to become successful in a long term for retros. It doesn't have an emulator to run, therefore it can never "go down". Thus, not running an emulator means you don't need a VPS or a dedicated server. All you need is a website - and it can be accessed from any browser as the client doesn't use Shockwave or Flash - essentially, it can be accessed on mobile devices. The only thing you would need to change are the graphics itself, as they're copyrighted by Sulake. If you make everything custom (UI, hotel view background, icons, clothing, furniture) - you'd have a 100% legal retro!
You do realize that just because something doesn't use Flash; does not mean it can magically work without an "emulator." Jabbo even specifies it uses web sockets, which is NOT peer to peer technology nor would that work well. In fact Jabbo uses a collection of server based technology including C, PHP and MySQL and in the past, Python.
http://forum.ragezone.com/f353/jabbo-v3-1-javascript-habbo-912294/

You could always use the client code; but I just got done looking at it and it's a pretty big mess considering the above.

Reaction score
I decided to head over to my parents house and in fact, I still have the source but not my edit, only the original which is actually Jabbo v3.3, slightly modified off the one you provided up there ^^

EDIT: after testing it on my localhost, it works partially. Its mostly still in Dutch, and theres a lot of features broken. I can make rooms but for some reason I cannot access rooms. Catalog works but buying furni does not.

Last edited:
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
I decided to head over to my parents house and in fact, I still have the source but not my edit, only the original which is actually Jabbo v3.3, slightly modified off the one you provided up there ^^

EDIT: after testing it on my localhost, it works partially. Its mostly still in Dutch, and theres a lot of features broken. I can make rooms but for some reason I cannot access rooms. Catalog works but buying furni does not.

did u will release for everyone ?

Back