Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Private Best pathfinder to use?

Reaction score
Hey,

I was wondering something. I try to do everything as good as possible. I know there are plenty great pathfinders. I was wondering which the best pathfinder is to use in a project.

Thanks.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I would too recommend the A* pathfinder, it's simply the pathfinder you're looking for, if you want a professional environment.

◝(⁰▿⁰)◜Smile◝ (⁰▿⁰)◜
Developer
Reaction score
I would too recommend the A* pathfinder, it's simply the pathfinder you're looking for, if you want a professional environment.

A* has nothing to do with professionalism, it's just one of the most used algorithms in games.

@Glaceon you can go for a more advanced path finding system which avoid traffic jams at choke-points in the room. A* perfectly suits your situation since the Habbo rooms are based on a grid.

Do some research about the topic yourself, you'll maybe find more points which you can improve.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
A* has nothing to do with professionalism, it's just one of the most used algorithms in games.

@Glaceon you can go for a more advanced path finding system which avoid traffic jams at choke-points in the room. A* perfectly suits your situation since the Habbo rooms are based on a grid.

Do some research about the topic yourself, you'll maybe find more points which you can improve.

It is too compared to butterfly's old pathfinder. It might annoy users

Reaction score

A* doesnt really require a grid. I mean, any 2d plane can be considered a grid.

Retired
Reaction score
it is too compared to butterfly's old pathfinder. It might annoy users

As many others suggest in the thread: It depends. A* is however, the most used algorithm and is afaik considered as the most efficient in the use-case of Habbo servers.

Why did the bfly pathfinder annoy users? Well, all it did was to move the user to the next walkable square that is closer to the goal compared with to the current user position. It did not really search for any path (and is thus questionable whether it actually is a pathfinder). The reason for implementing the algorithm this way was since at this time, much of the CPU-hog by the emulators was blamed at the pathfinders and heightmaps. I decided to implement an algorithm that would very efficiently move the user towards the goal without starting to eat up CPU-resources by design. Also, at this time I had no clue how A* worked (or any other pathfinder) and I barely knew how to calculate the distance between two points. Much of the pathfinding was then left to the users as a result of this algorithm.

Do you need to find the entire path for a user on Habbo? Well, not really. They are still able to walk around, play their silly games and chat with other users. Sure, it is annoying when the pathfinder is not that intelligent, but this comes from the expectations of the users.

Inb4 someone posts "you can limit the search area of A*"; yes, but compared to the bfly algorithm, the amount of CPU steps in A* is still significantly higher, where I wanted to achieve performance and not find the complete path to the goal.

Back