Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Discussion] What is your favourite MMORPG and why?

Reaction score
Basically the thread title says it all, i'm interested to see what MMORPGs people love and still play to this day and what makes the game so appealing that they keep coming back. As another thread has suggested decent MMORPGs are hard to come by and are largely dominated by Korean companies which add a touch of Asian culture which doesn't appeal to everyone (the child screams during combat, the typical grind and Asian style cosmetics). Whenever a new MMORPG comes out it's hot for a few weeks then the novelty dies off (as with any game but seems more so with MMOs).

The first ever MMORPG I played was Last Chaos which I played for years it was a Korean game and probably had the biggest grind out of any other game I have played which is probably what got me hooked. I enjoy games that make you work for your level/gear. I hate questing and being sucked into quests which is why Last Chaos had my interest, questing was optional and not that beneficial. The game ended up being largely dominated by P2W with the cash shop essentially being the judge of who would make the level cap and one shot everyone. It's also the only game I know of where you had to SP farm, something you would do at level 15 lock your experience and farm monsters to gain as many skill points as you could as later on trying to get skill points was extremely difficult. Without SP farming you would be considered useless as you wouldn't have enough skill points to max out all your skills. This game was my first introduction to the world of MMORPGs and holds many memories for me which you could say is my favourite in terms of memories.
Bergthor - [Discussion] What is your favourite MMORPG and why? - RaGEZONE Forums

My ideal MMORPG is fantasy based, open world with decent graphics/effects and a range of classes/races such as Witch, Druid, Priest, Warlock, Sorcerer, Rogue etc . One where there is no 'proper' way to gain levels you could either quest (follow the story of the game) or grind mobs. Less restrictions so the option to fly later on in game or get flying mounts but these of course would be restricted when it comes to PvP. This list could go on but you get the idea, I like your typical WoW style MMO with just more restrictions on flight, a bigger focus on fantasy and a lot more challenging for players. Being able to buy level boosts is ridiculous and undermines the hard work other players have put into the game.

I'm interested to hear about other peoples favourite MMORPGs and the memories they have associated with that game (pictures and screenshots would be a huge bonus), why the game had/has their interest and what they are looking for in future MMOs.

*Habbo Hotel does not count

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Aura Kingdom

- Diverse skill builds
- Diverse play style depending on your preference
- The closest game to getting a good anime appearance customization
- The PvP and PvE are pretty well done although the game gets broken every single time a new class gets in

and so much more

Honestly, I spent like 300$+ playing this game due to how much I want to get the costumes and lottery gears I wanted.

Reaction score
Aura Kingdom

- Diverse skill builds
- Diverse play style depending on your preference
- The closest game to getting a good anime appearance customization
- The PvP and PvE are pretty well done although the game gets broken every single time a new class gets in

and so much more

Honestly, I spent like 300$+ playing this game due to how much I want to get the costumes and lottery gears I wanted.

Have you checked out the Aura Kingdom section? Might be a fun project for you if you enjoy the game :D

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Already been there a couple of times.

And I just registered in a recent private server that just opened hosted in America

I'll be playing there a couple of time until I find a better MMORPG soon, since BnS was just a no for ping, since the ping really killed me.

Reaction score
Wait for Black Desert Online - Hopefully it's worth all the hype. I've enjoyed all the videos i've watched of gameplay anyway. Another decent game I used to enjoy was Aion not so much for the game it's decent I enjoyed the flying but it had a good community.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I was born to wait on that game, been following reddit and the gulag of it.

Also the English publisher should duck themselves for not opening the game worldwide, my country is restricted by it.

Preparing
Loyal Member
Reaction score
The first MMORPG I played was Tales Of Pirates by Moliyo.
And it is my favorite one because I made some friends and we trolled together and also do a bit of duping together. Good old times.
The private servers were more fun than the original. But I still visit a few private servers sometimes these days.

And the next favorite mmorpg is AION. purely for the PK. I used to play on a european private server for lower ping.

Reaction score
The first MMORPG I played was Tales Of Pirates by Moliyo.
And it is my favorite one because I made some friends and we trolled together and also do a bit of duping together. Good old times.
The private servers were more fun than the original. But I still visit a few private servers sometimes these days.

And the next favorite mmorpg is AION. purely for the PK. I used to play on a european private server for lower ping.

God I wasted some years playing Aion, I've still got my characters on the NA servers I have a cleric called 'Jebus' they are all elyos but I do enjoy Asmo too.

I'm going to venture into Aion development shortly, the java servers are just yuck although they do the job.

Preparing
Loyal Member
Reaction score
God I wasted some years playing Aion, I've still got my characters on the NA servers I have a cleric called 'Jebus' they are all elyos but I do enjoy Asmo too.

I'm going to venture into Aion development shortly, the java servers are just yuck although they do the job.

Yeah the grinding on AION is waste of time. Although they have changed the leveling system.. like it is really easy now to get to 65. Then obtaining gears is a grindfest. Unless you pay alot of $$$ for high end pvp gear. And ... the kinah bots all around... still.

Aion private servers are really fun to play. But I have stopped playing aion now. Maybe in the future I will be playing on your server xD

Reaction score
Yeah the grinding on AION is waste of time. Although they have changed the leveling system.. like it is really easy now to get to 65. Then obtaining gears is a grindfest. Unless you pay alot of $$$ for high end pvp gear. And ... the kinah bots all around... still.

Aion private servers are really fun to play. But I have stopped playing aion now. Maybe in the future I will be playing on your server xD

I want to rewrite the java servers in C++ but that all depends how much I enjoy Black Desert Online. I used to enjoy WoW but WoW private servers are pointless the way Blizzard made that game too god damn easy it's not even worth playing anymore there is nothing special about being top level when people can just buy it.

Jax

C# Programmer
Reaction score
SWTOR. Because I'm a Star Wars fan. Oh and I like expanding my knowledge of the lore, even if the lore isn't a part of the main canon.

Since when is Football Manager considered an MMORPG?

It's a simulator.

It isn't massively multiplayer online.

It isn't roleplay.

He may be referring to Football Manager Live, which is an MMO, but not an MMORPG. So it's still invalid.

Ben

Developer - JS
Developer
Reaction score
SWTOR. Because I'm a Star Wars fan. Oh and I like expanding my knowledge of the lore, even if the lore isn't a part of the main canon.

I remember i played it on PC i think i'm not quiet sure but I don't see how you can like a game like that, aside from for example the Star wars games on Playstation I think theyre lots better.

Comparing SWTOR with Battlefront I'm for sure up for Battlefront the MMORPG is just ugly.

Jax

C# Programmer
Reaction score
I remember i played it on PC i think i'm not quiet sure but I don't see how you can like a game like that, aside from for example the Star wars games on Playstation I think theyre lots better.

Comparing SWTOR with Battlefront I'm for sure up for Battlefront the MMORPG is just ugly.

I like it because I'm interested in the expanded universe lore of Star Wars. Battlefront is a great series, but it doesn't live up to what Bioware has created for the franchise. IMO.

On that note, has anyone been playing Black Desert? If so, what do you think of it?

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
MU.
I have no idea why.
/me runs and hides.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
I like it because I'm interested in the expanded universe lore of Star Wars. Battlefront is a great series, but it doesn't live up to what Bioware has created for the franchise. IMO.

On that note, has anyone been playing Black Desert? If so, what do you think of it?

it is my new favorite.. im currently level 9 in game lol.. busy with work.. but damn, you have so much thing to do.. you dont even have to grind and level up to have fun. You can just roleplay in this game.. So huge.

Reaction score
First MMO i played was Phantasy star online for the dreamcast. This game was a pioneer for future MMOs imo. It was small and full of bugs but for its time it was brilliant.

Legend of mir was my favourite followed by WoW.

Reactions: Jax
Back