Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Discussion] Microsoft offers Mojang $2b For Minecraft!

R.I.P Millercent
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Read full here;

My thought is, maybe good could possibly come from this.. BUT Microsoft have made some poor decisions and if they ruin minecraft, they'd certainly make millions of people very very mad at them.

Leave your thoughts below!

Pce amigo.

Reaction score
It would be retarded. They are making about 100 million profit per year, they have nothing else that will make them big money. So you are buying a company that will only see a drop in income over the next few years. Making the 2 billion back will be pretty much impossible, let alone make profit.
So unless MS has some master plan, they should not be paying that much for sure.
Leave your thoughts below!
This is a discussion forum, not a news site, no need to be captain obvious.

R.I.P Millercent
Loyal Member
Reaction score
It would be retarded. They are making about 100 million profit per year, they have nothing else that will make them big money. So you are buying a company that will only see a drop in income over the next few years. Making the 2 billion back will be pretty much impossible, let alone make profit.
So unless MS has some master plan, they should not be paying that much for sure.

This is a discussion forum, not a news site, no need to be captain obvious.

As much as they wouldn't make a profit from it, the amount of editing and optimizing they could do to make new and better features inside Minecraft for Windows and the Xbox could have a really good effect. That's my guess on why they're buying it, add some features Mojang can't add but they can to make it easier for MS users.

And I wasn't trying to be, force of habit..

Super-Moderator
Staff member
Super-Moderator
Reaction score
Re: Microsoft buying Mojang AB ?

M$ can clutter it with fee's, and giving lackluster to support to other platforms. Which I don't think they'd do, since its more money to be had. On another note so much can be done if they go the right direction. Possibly a MC 2? MC MMO?

I've seen fans getting pretty upset because Notch hasn't said anything about it, with him usually being vocal on Twitter. He must have something else he's going to work on. With a price tag like that, hell why not? And M$ did do Rare no justice when they bought it. So I can see why people aren't to happy about them particularly buying this.

We'll have to wait and see how it goes. M$ must know what they're doing if they throwing that much out.

Reaction score
Re: Microsoft buying Mojang AB ?

Here's my 2 cents on it. Everything that Microsoft buys .... over time it turns into a big pile of crap. Live example, Skype was awesome before Microsoft bought it, now it lags, crashes, I can't add people ... and they turned support towards their newest OS only, they don't give a poop if it doesn't work well on other OS-es. Also since Microsoft bought it, the API is literary gone.

So I don't see why Microsoft would buy Minecraft unless they have some big plans for it. I'm afraid that they would make some subscriptions that you have to pay monthly or just add purchasable items in game ... just so they can squeeze more $ out of it. Also it may disappear from Android, and it may never be available for PSP after they bought it.

Reactions: Jax
Reaction score
Here's my 2 cents on it. Everything that Microsoft buys .... over time it turns into a big pile of crap. Live example, Skype was awesome before Microsoft bought it, now it lags, crashes, I can't add people ... and they turned support towards their newest OS only, they don't give a poop if it doesn't work well on other OS-es. Also since Microsoft bought it, the API is literary gone.

So I don't see why Microsoft would buy Minecraft unless they have some big plans for it. I'm afraid that they would make some subscriptions that you have to pay monthly or just add purchasable items in game ... just so they can squeeze more $ out of it. Also it may disappear from Android, and it may never be available for PSP after they bought it.
What are you talking about? Skype needed and still needs a major rework, which is what MS is giving it.

Now I only have 1 problem, which I believe just got solved, which is that Skype keeps activating on all devices.
Here is the thing, that API you so much like, was poop, it needed to go. MS obviously wants to make Skype the number 1 communication program/app, which could never happen with the old API, they are doing the right thing to remove so much from it, and make Skype a proper multiplatform program that people do want to install on all devices, and use for everything.
As much as they wouldn't make a profit from it, the amount of editing and optimizing they could do to make new and better features inside Minecraft for Windows and the Xbox could have a really good effect. That's my guess on why they're buying it, add some features Mojang can't add but they can to make it easier for MS users.

And I wasn't trying to be, force of habit..
That's nice, if you want to invest a 100 mill in it. Not 2 billion. MS is a company, their goal is not to create the best gaming experience, it's to optimize profit. Spending 2 billion on a great game, will get them massive lawsuits.

The only way they can purchase this, is when the board agrees, who will only agree when they got a clear and realistic plan to make the 2 billion back, and add another billion profit to it.

R.I.P Millercent
Loyal Member
Reaction score
M$ can clutter it with fee's, and giving lackluster to support to other platforms. Which I don't think they'd do, since its more money to be had. On another note so much can be done if they go the right direction. Possibly a MC 2? MC MMO?

I've seen fans getting pretty upset because Notch hasn't said anything about it, with him usually being vocal on Twitter. He must have something else he's going to work on. With a price tag like that, hell why not? And M$ did do Rare no justice when they bought it. So I can see why people aren't to happy about them particularly buying this.

We'll have to wait and see how it goes. M$ must know what they're doing if they throwing that much out.

My thoughts exactly. If they're going to throw so much at MC, they must have some big plan in action. Most likely MC 2 - fully designed and built to go hand in hand Windows and Xbox. Imagine the optimization and addons Mojang can't do, that they could.. But whether they'd get $2b back.. Very doubtful.

That's nice, if you want to invest a 100 mill in it. Not 2 billion. MS is a company, their goal is not to create the best gaming experience, it's to optimize profit. Spending 2 billion on a great game, will get them massive lawsuits.

The only way they can purchase this, is when the board agrees, who will only agree when they got a clear and realistic plan to make the 2 billion back, and add another billion profit to it.

I agree there. They are only out to make money like most companies. If they play their cards right, they might be able to break even, but not make profit. Something more slimmer of a price would have been better, but they must have some great plan to be willing to spend $2b on it.

I say good to luck them.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Mojang bought by Microsoft for $2.5b

It's official! Mojang was purchased by Microsoft and the three founders (Notch, Carl, and Jakob) are leaving with money overflowing every pocket.

How do you feel about this, if you're a minecraft player? Would you wanna see Microsoft do something different?

As much as it would hurt the modding community (somewhat, it's kinda already slowly going to go with the main contributor to Forge leaving all of minecraft ( )

I don't know my position about this yet, but if anything... I hope they remake it in c++ over continue use of java for performance reasons.

Anyone got any inputs about all this?

Reaction score
Re: Mojang bought by Microsoft for $2.5b

This is a complete joke. I knew they were going to take the offer, they're greedy pigs.. Yes, it's money, but I can't believe they're taken the money and ran. So disappointed. But Microsoft is such a much larger company, so they'll be able to bring more often updates, and much more staff will be involved in the MC project.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score

This is a complete joke. I knew they were going to take the offer, they're greedy pigs.. Yes, it's money, but I can't believe they're taken the money and ran. So disappointed. But Microsoft is such a much larger company, so they'll be able to bring more often updates, and much more staff will be involved in the MC project.

Only $5 for each new minecraft update brought to you by microsoft.

can you imagine? i can haha

Reaction score

Only $5 for each new minecraft update brought to you by microsoft.

can you imagine? i can haha
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they charged us for updates..

But, even still, if they bring out some amazing updates, I wouldn't mind paying a somewhat small fee.. But that's me..

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they charged us for updates..

But, even still, if they bring out some amazing updates, I wouldn't mind paying a somewhat small fee.. But that's me..

I already bought the game D: < Better be free lmao. Hope they stabilize it

Reaction score

Honestly, I would a game for 2.5billion. I think you have unrealistic expectations.

I say very well done to them.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score

My friend showed me this and I just cracked up

b1dadfa09d599b6b2dc204f18e79ae0a - [Discussion] Microsoft offers Mojang $2b For Minecraft! - RaGEZONE Forums

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Well Microsoft will lose 100% of my respect if they screw Minecraft up. It has been confirmed that Microsoft is purchasing Mojang for $2.5 Billion dollars. They already lost at least 40% of my respect for purchasing Mojang. If they screw Minecraft up, I will be installing Linux on this old laptop, not really but it is a consideration now.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
It's a done deal...Microsoft now owns Minecraft but will not get the founding fathers with it...all those involved with the creation are stepping down stating they just want to make games not be in the spotlight....the success was too much for them to handle.

Without the original vision involved...I'm pretty sure MS will screw it up somehow.

R.I.P Millercent
Loyal Member
Reaction score
It's a done deal...Microsoft now owns Minecraft but will not get the founding fathers with it...all those involved with the creation are stepping down stating they just want to make games not be in the spotlight....the success was too much for them to handle.

Without the original vision involved...I'm pretty sure MS will screw it up somehow.

Such a shame Notch and a few others decided to leave. I can only see this rolling down hill from now.. I mean, Microsoft have a major $2.5 Billion dollar hole to now refill. I've a few ideas on which they might do, but I'll wait and see to what MS does.

GG To them i say.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Well first thing will probably be Minecraft "2"....it will probably look like this:

9nnx9 - [Discussion] Microsoft offers Mojang $2b For Minecraft! - RaGEZONE Forums

Then expect

FatalLulz - [Discussion] Microsoft offers Mojang $2b For Minecraft! - RaGEZONE Forums

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
R.I.P Millercent
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I can see some very stupid ideas being implemented. Like you said, micro transactions. If they do add them, it'll just ruin the game.

Most likely a Minecraft 2 that'll cost about $35 USD, then a server license will be created for making a MC2 MP server.. Another $35.. Merchandise will go up in prices..

FatalLulz - [Discussion] Microsoft offers Mojang $2b For Minecraft! - RaGEZONE Forums

Back