Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Discussion] Mmorpg = rip

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Could somebody please mention a good MMORPG that is worth playing and that is overall accessible internationally instead of VPN and getting a Korean security numbers. :$:

I just tried Skyforge and it was really bad and dull. Tried searching Websites on their list of top F2P MMORPG and every one of them are bad as hell. What the hell, did MMORPGs industries died? Because of MOBA? Wanted to try Cabal 2 but it seems like the game isn't accessible for us South East Asians.

Reaction score
MOBA really has taken over the industries with games like DotA 2, League of Legends, and the newer ones Heroes of the Storm etc.
Not sure if you've tried any of them but it's actually quite fun.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Played both Dota and League for a long time and has been occasionally been joining a bunch of local and major tournaments. And just recently quit, for the main reason, I'm done with the people from mobas.

CSGO for me is currently my thing but I'm not sure if I'm competent enough yet to be for its competitive scene.

But I'm really sad there are no MMORPG now that are fun to play which is free and open internationally.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
we are on the same boat mate. I have been searching for a good mmorpg that i can play for a long time just like i did on the old ones. It seems that they arent any good one out there than can hook me up. i tried tera but got tired of it. i am playing blade and soul, its fun though. Have you tried playing ESO? you should go and look for vids on youtube.

Ben

Developer - JS
Developer
Reaction score
Played both Dota and League for a long time and has been occasionally been joining a bunch of local and major tournaments. And just recently quit, for the main reason, I'm done with the people from mobas.

CSGO for me is currently my thing but I'm not sure if I'm competent enough yet to be for its competitive scene.

But I'm really sad there are no MMORPG now that are fun to play which is free and open internationally.

Well doesn't Blade and Soul fall under the MMORPG tag? it just released so maybe you should give that a tag, I play CS:GO too even on a daily basis, not great at it but yea w.e, however when you do a random competitive Q I think its just as annoying as the ppl from moba's, lot's of kids and ragers.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
we are on the same boat mate. I have been searching for a good mmorpg that i can play for a long time just like i did on the old ones. It seems that they arent any good one out there than can hook me up. i tried tera but got tired of it. i am playing blade and soul, its fun though. Have you tried playing ESO? you should go and look for vids on youtube.

Tried Blade & Soul which was the Russian server and it was okay though, but honestly the game will get boring when you actually understand how the combat works, I always thought it was gonna be a combat system like, probably Dragon Nest. The game could have potentially be the best at around 2012's

And as for ESO, never tried it yet, but I do know if people talks about ESO, they always compare it with FFXIV which was also just okay though, I think they were or it was GW2 that first to introduce the world dynamic events. And other than that, meh. I like Raids, and been looking awaiting for that MMORPG which really takes a toll of me.

Tried Archeage which was a game, I awaited and turns out to be poop. LMFAO

Been waiting for a game called Dragon's Dogma online, it could be playable but I'm not planning to do some VPN shits and buying Korean accounts.

Lastly, I'm a huge ESO fan but I dunno... I'm probably gonna watch some raid videos on ESO if there are.

Super-Moderator
Staff member
Super-Moderator
Reaction score
Oh I so feel your pain! I miss a good game. And I mean a good MMORPG game. many on your list I've tried or read about. Honestly I am so the type of person who just gets sucked into a game and I can even put up with some bad things if I love it enough.

I just mentioned in the Blade & Soul thread that I did AION beta and played for a year after that. Server merges left such a bad taste in my mouth didn't seem like it was handled very well, it felt like NCSoft (west) was the problem.

A year and a half ago my friends tell me about this new game. They go check it out and I just wait. I wasn't in the mood to get my heart broke again like AION. Sure enough, they are playing the closed beta, and I get sucked in. Archeage. OH MY GOSH I LOVED ARCHEAGE. It was so wonderful. The houses, and the farming and the dungeons and the boats and the quests and everything. (Notice PvP is not on this list, I've never found PvP to be highly entertaining, I won't run away from it, but meh, people just like to gank, that is not PvP that is ganking, and it is childish, lame, boring.) Anyway... Yeah I did the closed beta, open beta and played for a year until.... server merge. Which was worse than any server merge ever, because they made us land rush again. We lost almost everything we had, and that was pretty much it. The attitude of Trion was worse than NCSoft in trying to make their customers happy. My last straw was when I lost patron (even though it was paid up for months) and put in a ticket. 7 days no answer so I live-chatted them. They fixed my patron but would not restore the seven days they had documented in their ticket system that I didn't have patron. Because they were working on a compensation package for everyone affected. Yeah, so haven't played since then.

Now that I have that rant over... I agree with you. I've tried out games here and there but they just didn't have the luster. I think really an MMORPG is most enjoyable with a group of people. Even the crappy games can be awesome with the right group of people. But, obviously the producers or whoever is running the show has to have some level of give-a-poop about the players. That is the main thing I see lacking. That... and the communities of these games have been nothing short of toxic. (so which came first the toxic community or lack of care by people running the show.. hmmm)

At least this is what I see. Other games I haven't gotten into the community at all nor did I notice anything about how the game was being ran because.. it didn't interest me enough to care. I just want something fun to play!

Honestly I've just been checking out steam games lately.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
NCSoft has been noteworthy for being bad at publishing their games, it is like the classic publisher Nexon.

Honestly the only game that could save me and I hope the Koreans actually publish the game not in a gap of like 5-10 years which they always do..

Is probably Bless online for the MMORPG experience and as for the MMO experience + Action that would Black Desert

The last MMORPG which I played and really had fun was Aura Kingdom until Aeriagames fucked the game up like they always do with their other games. I spent loads of cash from customizing my character in the game... And really enjoyed it.

And Yes what caught my attention about Archeage was the farming and sailing etc things that makes MMORPG become an Role Playing Game, until they made a huge boundary of a F2P and P2P...

I dunno, they could've tried advertising the game in a different business approach instead of F2P could've been one of those life time purchase cases.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
i tried Aura kingdom too and i liked it so much but got turned down by how aeria games manage it pretty much like every game they host lol. i wish there were decent servers out there for aura kingdom that is actually dedicated in developing it.

Ben

Developer - JS
Developer
Reaction score
i tried Aura kingdom too and i liked it so much but got turned down by how aeria games manage it pretty much like every game they host lol. i wish there were decent servers out there for aura kingdom that is actually dedicated in developing it.

The purpose of every game hosting company is to make money out of it, don't forget that.

Reaction score
Look into Black Desert Online it's going into CB2 in the west soon so the release isn't far away. Other than that I agree, I have played basically all of the MMO's you can imagine I played AION for 3+ years but the community died and the game play was nothing special pay to win essentially. Elder Scrolls Online is good on PC, I have it on console but it's not the same you don't have the same freedom with camera angles, no chat box and using a controller sucks.

I still don't mind WoW now and then but I'm not even subbed atm. TERA is worth trying if you've never played it, I quite enjoyed it and I played it within the past year so I assume nothing much has changed.

RIFT was alright but couldn't get into it, don't think there is much of a community there which is a problem because as someone has mentioned MMO's are all about others who play.

But yeah, if any other MMO addicts want to group up for Black Desert Online when it launches that could be fun.

Super-Moderator
Staff member
Super-Moderator
Reaction score
The purpose of every game hosting company is to make money out of it, don't forget that.
Definitely but we all know as players there are bad ways and good ways to do that.

I know people who happily pay for character customization, I myself included. These do not have to affect game play, I simply just want to look cute while I run around or whatever. I know some people want pay to win and happily pay for it, but it can very seriously ruin games/communities. They just need to find more of a balance. For me, I work 8 hours a day, so I can't possibly keep up with the no-lifers who can play all day. That's ok with me, but sometimes it is nice to be able to pay to close that gap a little bit, not pay to surpass them greatly. I think that part is hard for these game companies to realize.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Definitely but we all know as players there are bad ways and good ways to do that.

I know people who happily pay for character customization, I myself included. These do not have to affect game play, I simply just want to look cute while I run around or whatever. I know some people want pay to win and happily pay for it, but it can very seriously ruin games/communities. They just need to find more of a balance. For me, I work 8 hours a day, so I can't possibly keep up with the no-lifers who can play all day. That's ok with me, but sometimes it is nice to be able to pay to close that gap a little bit, not pay to surpass them greatly. I think that part is hard for these game companies to realize.

+1. Take Dota 2 for example, though it is not a mmorpg, it shows that selling in game vanities can work. they were able to motivate creative people outside of the company to create and get paid also by their own designs. Perhaps the greatest challenge is to design a superior mmorpg itself that will make people keep playing it for example like dota 2, and be able to just sell vanities and get rich.?

Super-Moderator
Staff member
Super-Moderator
Reaction score
+1. Take Dota 2 for example, though it is not a mmorpg, it shows that selling in game vanities can work. they were able to motivate creative people outside of the company to create and get paid also by their own designs. Perhaps the greatest challenge is to design a superior mmorpg itself that will make people keep playing it for example like dota 2, and be able to just sell vanities and get rich.?

Interesting ideas. One "problem" I think with mmorpg's is the diversity of things to do. Dota 2 is really just pvp, match after match. (Right its just like LoL?) Honestly its a very interesting game structure, but doesn't have the mmorpg aspects I prefer (Like quests and stuff).

Mmorpg style games attract a wide variety of players. There can be players who are perfectly happy farming and being in safe zones, and there are always those who are completely pvp crazy. I think that is one point that is sometimes hard to balance, and then when you add paid items on top of that, it just seems like such a recipe for disaster.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Got at least 50 titles of MMOs in my background, seen a lot from all of them. We all know that we won't find the perfect MMO any time soon, that includes an open, immersive world, a story line worth investing time into, combat in both pvp and pve to be balanced and polished, graphics and sounds to be detailed with addition of some cut scenes maybe.

Grinding would always be the base of MMOs, at least that's how I see it. Unless there's no grinding, there's no free way of getting to end game content/equipment, but some companies are taking this to the next level, again this is a personal opinion.

Some the newest and most recent MMOs I've played have tried balancing things out, but failed.

Take Skyforge for example. Graphics are beautiful, although the engine is poorly optimized, cut scenes and voice acting are found quite often. Combat was nice, but not balanced at all. While I was playing we had 2-3 classes out of 13 that were on top of both pvp and pve, the rest were pretty much useless, at least for endgame. (The game lets you switch between all classes you have unlocked at will.) Game is completely free to play, however there's an in-game currency that is bought with irl money and used for buying mainly boosters and clothing. (There are no armors whatsoever, the only equipment that the character has are main and secondary weapon, rings and talismans). So, this sounds nice, yeah, for a while. In the beginning of your play you get 3 days of premium, which just open a whole new world for you, a world where the grinding is made easier. Once those 3 days are over you are back in reality and you just want to spent those 11 euro for a month worth of premium, it is not obligatory to do so, but its hard to come back from premium. So at this point for most players the game becomes a game with monthly fee. This is where the Devs got it all wrong, because the grinding here is to much. There are no levels in this game, you have a huge a** skill tree composed of different nodes offering passive/active skills and stat boosts. Those nodes are opened with sparks, awarded by missions. The amount of sparks you receive depends on the mission difficulty and one of the latest updates lets you chose your reward. There are a few kinds of sparks, but the 3 basics are green, red and blue, those are used for unlocking nodes in the main skill tree, called Atlas, and those same sparks/gems unlock classes, from then on, each class has its own Atlas. This is where the biggest grinding comes. Each class atlas is divided in two parts, beginning part and main part, in the first part all nodes are unlocked with those 3 kinds of sparks I mentioned above, however the main part is unlocked by either class designated sparks or sparks of evolution. All sparks in the game have weekly limits. Sparks of evolution are sort of universal sparks and can unlock nodes in each class atlas, those are obtained only by premium members or in special missions that occur every few days. The grinding here comes from the low weekly limit you have of class sparks, in order to fully unlock a class you would need about 3-4 weeks worth of class sparks, while we have 13 available classes, you can do the math on your own and see how long it takes to have all classes unlocked. Here comes the best part, premium users receive 50% more sparks than regular. How is this not pay to play?

Another grinding fest is the so much apprised Path of Exile, played it for a while and the grind there is just to much, maybe a few times more than in Skyforge and Silkroad. I guess that it is no coincidence that the developing company of the game is called Grinding Gear Games. Economy is ruined, by players monopolizing all rare resources and requesting prices for legendary items that are unbelievable. For those of you who do not know, the game has no real currency, there are certain orbs/gems that are quite rare to come by and those are used in trades.

B&S - Poor optimization in certain areas for no apparent reason. Combat is good, but the game itself is dull due to repetitive and tedious questing. Also, you can reach level cap in 2 days. Haven't jumped in pvp that much and I hope it doesn't get boring as fast as the pve does.

Reaction score
Got at least 50 titles of MMOs in my background, seen a lot from all of them. We all know that we won't find the perfect MMO any time soon, that includes an open, immersive world, a story line worth investing time into, combat in both pvp and pve to be balanced and polished, graphics and sounds to be detailed with addition of some cut scenes maybe.

Grinding would always be the base of MMOs, at least that's how I see it. Unless there's no grinding, there's no free way of getting to end game content/equipment, but some companies are taking this to the next level, again this is a personal opinion.

Some the newest and most recent MMOs I've played have tried balancing things out, but failed.

Take Skyforge for example. Graphics are beautiful, although the engine is poorly optimized, cut scenes and voice acting are found quite often. Combat was nice, but not balanced at all. While I was playing we had 2-3 classes out of 13 that were on top of both pvp and pve, the rest were pretty much useless, at least for endgame. (The game lets you switch between all classes you have unlocked at will.) Game is completely free to play, however there's an in-game currency that is bought with irl money and used for buying mainly boosters and clothing. (There are no armors whatsoever, the only equipment that the character has are main and secondary weapon, rings and talismans). So, this sounds nice, yeah, for a while. In the beginning of your play you get 3 days of premium, which just open a whole new world for you, a world where the grinding is made easier. Once those 3 days are over you are back in reality and you just want to spent those 11 euro for a month worth of premium, it is not obligatory to do so, but its hard to come back from premium. So at this point for most players the game becomes a game with monthly fee. This is where the Devs got it all wrong, because the grinding here is to much. There are no levels in this game, you have a huge a** skill tree composed of different nodes offering passive/active skills and stat boosts. Those nodes are opened with sparks, awarded by missions. The amount of sparks you receive depends on the mission difficulty and one of the latest updates lets you chose your reward. There are a few kinds of sparks, but the 3 basics are green, red and blue, those are used for unlocking nodes in the main skill tree, called Atlas, and those same sparks/gems unlock classes, from then on, each class has its own Atlas. This is where the biggest grinding comes. Each class atlas is divided in two parts, beginning part and main part, in the first part all nodes are unlocked with those 3 kinds of sparks I mentioned above, however the main part is unlocked by either class designated sparks or sparks of evolution. All sparks in the game have weekly limits. Sparks of evolution are sort of universal sparks and can unlock nodes in each class atlas, those are obtained only by premium members or in special missions that occur every few days. The grinding here comes from the low weekly limit you have of class sparks, in order to fully unlock a class you would need about 3-4 weeks worth of class sparks, while we have 13 available classes, you can do the math on your own and see how long it takes to have all classes unlocked. Here comes the best part, premium users receive 50% more sparks than regular. How is this not pay to play?

Another grinding fest is the so much apprised Path of Exile, played it for a while and the grind there is just to much, maybe a few times more than in Skyforge and Silkroad. I guess that it is no coincidence that the developing company of the game is called Grinding Gear Games. Economy is ruined, by players monopolizing all rare resources and requesting prices for legendary items that are unbelievable. For those of you who do not know, the game has no real currency, there are certain orbs/gems that are quite rare to come by and those are used in trades.

B&S - Poor optimization in certain areas for no apparent reason. Combat is good, but the game itself is dull due to repetitive and tedious questing. Also, you can reach level cap in 2 days. Haven't jumped in pvp that much and I hope it doesn't get boring as fast as the pve does.

Since I played B&S for a while now. About optimization, there are certain ways to get around it though 99% include of you either using "Optimise for Combat" option, or if your PC can't even take that, you have to turn everything to lowest possible. Game seems to run better on my integrated than my dedicated nvidia 930M gpu, which means the game is more of a CPU hogger then a GPU, so make sure you have a good CPU if you want to play it. Game also runs better on an SSD, otherwise you'll experience FPS drops, or even stops while the level is loading if you are running fast for example. Since it's a new game the economy is not ruined .. yet. There are a few ways to make money for example going into dungeons (there is always someone looking for party so you'll never have to solo it) and selling blue items (purple ones a.k.a heroic items cannot be sold or traded which sucks cause you get quite a lot of them when farming for a specific piece of armor). It seems like NCSOFT is rushing you to end content themselves and just want you to use the PvP as much as possible. There is a survey system implemented where they are supposedly giving you rewards for filling up a small survey every few levels, giving them an idea of what you want to play and how do you play. Gameplay is great, PvE is ... well pretty repetitive but it's still better than most point and click MMO's out there. PvP is basically composed of you equiping a faction robe/outfit and go kill the other faction. Which usually ends up in either gang bang, or someone calling a higher level to kill everyone. But it's fun never the less.

Only issue so far, is that items in NPC's are very expensive (health potions, dumplings, etc.) To give you a glimpse of how expensive they really are, I had to sell 20 items to gather 8 Silvers (do not ever sell items to NPC, they only give you 1 copper, regardless what it is, sell it in marketplace or destroy it), and one dumpling costs 6. Other than that there are many English speaking players for which I am gratefull since when i played GW2 there were nothing but italians.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Since I played B&S for a while now. About optimization, there are certain ways to get around it though 99% include of you either using "Optimise for Combat" option, or if your PC can't even take that, you have to turn everything to lowest possible. Game seems to run better on my integrated than my dedicated nvidia 930M gpu, which means the game is more of a CPU hogger then a GPU, so make sure you have a good CPU if you want to play it. Game also runs better on an SSD, otherwise you'll experience FPS drops, or even stops while the level is loading if you are running fast for example. Since it's a new game the economy is not ruined .. yet. There are a few ways to make money for example going into dungeons (there is always someone looking for party so you'll never have to solo it) and selling blue items (purple ones a.k.a heroic items cannot be sold or traded which sucks cause you get quite a lot of them when farming for a specific piece of armor). It seems like NCSOFT is rushing you to end content themselves and just want you to use the PvP as much as possible. There is a survey system implemented where they are supposedly giving you rewards for filling up a small survey every few levels, giving them an idea of what you want to play and how do you play. Gameplay is great, PvE is ... well pretty repetitive but it's still better than most point and click MMO's out there. PvP is basically composed of you equiping a faction robe/outfit and go kill the other faction. Which usually ends up in either gang bang, or someone calling a higher level to kill everyone. But it's fun never the less.

Only issue so far, is that items in NPC's are very expensive (health potions, dumplings, etc.) To give you a glimpse of how expensive they really are, I had to sell 20 items to gather 8 Silvers (do not ever sell items to NPC, they only give you 1 copper, regardless what it is, sell it in marketplace or destroy it), and one dumpling costs 6. Other than that there are many English speaking players for which I am gratefull since when i played GW2 there were nothing but italians.

Well PvP goes beyond that, there are duels which start from 1v1 and go up to 4v4 if not mistaken. Also I think there were guild wars as well.

I could share some more experience with recent and not so, MMOs, in case someone is looking for something in particular. Currently stuck with Warframe until I find something better, which might not happen in near future.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Skyforge is basically heading towards an E-Sports prospective, but the game is honestly bad at balancing classes and the classes has a lot of insufficiency too . Although for some people the UI looks clean but for me it is confusing as duck and I can't basically just navigate myself quickly.

And as for Blade & Soul

The game is perfectly fine though, especially with the lack of MMOs in the market. But my main concern is that, I have no idea honestly why people was presuming that the game was gonna be catering people who enjoys PvE more than PvP.

Like the first time that this game was ever publicize, it was already being influencing people who wanted a better combat concept way back 2009 and honestly on that years and so on. The Devs in charge of BnS probably has no other games in development or released, which they could compare or get ideas from to innovate or improvise which they could use to make BnS a game that is worthy of lasting a year of not being linear to how people would expect an MMO should be.

And with E-Sports starting to get more and more recognize, I don't see why NCSoft wouldn't even commit on touching that trend. And I believe BnS is potentially going to be a great game for E-Sports, with the way how they've made your options to be able to stick with a certain class and basically just learn what not to do and what to logically build for a specific class you are up against.

Sadly the World Tournament of B&S which was as mentioned by my Clan Master was pretty much rigged and stupid since they've released Warlock a short time without observing the class first before the tournament started.

Just look at the finals, this was 3.0 patch

I'm looking forward for the NA scene though, there are promising streamers sponsored by NCSoft.

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I hardly see Skyforge as an E-sport game, it's just not ready yet. There's a ton of work that needs to be done before the game could be suitable for e-sports. It could actually be a gem in the rough, but it would need hell lot of polishing.

Back