Mobile versions of games

MemberRank
    Jun 2017 Join Date
    9Posts

Mobile versions of games

RaGEZONE Recommends

RaGEZONE Recommends

What do you think when major games turn into mobile versions of themselves? Does this make the games more approachable, but make them lose their value? Some examples could be Fallout Shelter on mobile, or the future possible mobile Runescape version. What are your thoughts about this?

MemberRank
    Aug 2008 Join Date
    41Posts

Re: Mobile versions of games

GTA series are on my Iphone and I am loving them

ModeratorRank
    Oct 2014 Join Date
    Arad DomanLocation
    1,009Posts

Depends how what you mean by 'turning into mobile versions'. Do you mean they're a direct port, or modified to better suit the device?

One example is Rollercoaster Tycoon, it's very playable on mobile because it has been modified to better suit mobile devices, while keeping the gameplay the same as the PC version has been for over a decade now, and is very fun.

A direct port would not be good, because the interfaces would be cumbersome for a smaller active area (despite having similar resolution scale), not to mention any interfaces that relied on hovering to present tooltips would not work since touch devices do not have a hover state.

Games based ON their PC counterpart, but still a separate game, are obviously fine too as they're just of a similar flavour. You mention Fallout Shelter, which is an example of this. As it's an entirely different game based on an existing IP, I don't think it somehow 'cheapens' the PC games at all, they're different games.
    If I helped you, please click the Like button at bottom-left of my posts. Thank you! :)
    I am also vasheni at deviantArt.com.

If you have been a member for over a year and have less than 100 posts, don't expect everyone else to drop everything to cater to your leeching. Just saying what everyone thinks.

MemberRank
    Jun 2017 Join Date
    9Posts

well do you think mobile Runescape will get as much attention as it had with a PC version? What key features are important for the developers to nail down that the game would be enjoyable on mobile?

ModeratorRank
    Oct 2014 Join Date
    Arad DomanLocation
    1,009Posts

Depends (I've said that a lot LOL). Runescape has weight as a name because of how long it's been around, that coupled with the fact mobile games are a massive market, it stands a fair chance.

They have to keep the usual things in mind when making a port, namely how to translate the interface over and keep it functional yet easy to use, how to handle movement controls without affecting other aspects (if your thumb is on the screen using a joystick to move a character, an enemy could be shooting arrows at you, standing right beneath your thumb, not to mention interface clutter). Also the fact skills are live-cast in Runescape and some touch device implementations don't support multiple touches, so if you're trying to run while casting it might not easily pick up the skill touch events, etc etc.

Are you a dev? :)
    If I helped you, please click the Like button at bottom-left of my posts. Thank you! :)
    I am also vasheni at deviantArt.com.

If you have been a member for over a year and have less than 100 posts, don't expect everyone else to drop everything to cater to your leeching. Just saying what everyone thinks.

Advertisement