Path of Exile EMU

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MemberRank
    Dec 2014 Join Date
    52Posts

Re: Path of Exile EMU

If anyone else is serious about working on this, let's set up a Discord or chat privately. I found quite a few resources... including a document someone wrote detailing how they went about decrypting the login traffic and writing both a login and basic game server. PM me if you guys wanna work on this together.

True MemberRank
    Nov 2013 Join Date
    110Posts

Path of Exile is still fresh and FTP, so why even bother to emulate? Unless, You want to emu with java as private server, but it would take tons of time and You probably won't even bring players from off server, so...Meh.

MemberRank
    Dec 2014 Join Date
    52Posts

Quite a few reasons, actually:

1. I want to learn these skills regardless and Path is a complex game that will teach a lot.
    2. I don't personally like the direction the game has gone and want to have the ability to craft my own version.
    3. I have some very old clients and would love to bring a "Classic Path of Exile" to life. I am certain a lot of people would enjoy that.
    4. Preservation of my favorite online game. I have personally collected servers and clients for like 40 of my favorite games and I want to be able to "preserve" Path of Exile as well.

In any event, if you decide you wanna join up just let me know :)

True MemberRank
    Nov 2013 Join Date
    110Posts

Well, even if You would write a proper sniffer some how, it would take You ages to complete the emu. If You are just seeking just for learning process, then no reason for someone else to join the "team"...Unless, You all are going to learn from it - and thats all...

MemberRank
    Dec 2014 Join Date
    52Posts

Well, my intention is to fully reverse the game. And a proper sniffer already exists, I just have to update a few offsets to account for new packet IDs and types introduced in the most recent expansion. Decided to wait since I think 3.6 drops tomorrow and will likely require more edits for that as well. Full GUI, lots of packet IDs are already parsed, encryption has been figured out, so a lot of the legwork is already done. I built a spoof login server but I'm still working on that piece as my Python knowledge is not super deep yet.

My main issue is a lack of knowledge surrounding assembly. I have used IDA to dig into the binary but I'm only just starting to be able to make sense of it.

True MemberRank
    Nov 2013 Join Date
    110Posts

Well, I would love to join, but the fact is, even with few team members, You would still need at least serveral monts for first stable release (if not more than a year), and to be honest, in that time, it would be better for You to create join few already existing teams and learn there (also with other off games). Don't restrict Yourself with one long project. If You wan't to learn, it would be much better for You to join other team and don't start from scratch...BUT...it is Your choice ofc :)

MemberRank
    Dec 2014 Join Date
    52Posts

Yeah I have a strong passion for Path of Exile. Played it religiously for years, got burnt out on the constant buffs/nerfs, quit. Creating a private version where I can make changes would be amazing. This is most likely gonna take me 3 or 4 years and I don't mind!

True MemberRank
    Nov 2013 Join Date
    110Posts

Well, if You are aware of that, then yeah - start gathering all the infos and files, and good luck :D Maybe I will join the team at one point - after these 3-4 years (if You will be still working on this project) :D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Advertisement