Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Question] Steam Controller

Reaction score
Ok guys, I'm getting some cash in a few days and I was thinking about purchasing an express coffee machine (I'm a coffee addict... in some level) or a Steam Controller.

Anyhow, I would like to ask you the following questions about the Steam Controller (if you already own it).

1 - Is it good for RTS Games (Stronghold, Age of Empires, etc)?
2 - Can I use it for games outside Steam itself and have my own configurations? For instance, I want to play some indie game that's not on Steam (or some older games such Roller Coaster etc)
3 - How about FPS games? Is it really good?
4 - Is it possible to use it on a Android phone with some sort of hack?
5 - Is it good for other tasks that's not gaming? As a remote mouse...
6 - In your opinion, is it worth the cash? Or should I go with the coffee maker :rolleyes:
Drop mudkip

Kind Regards,
Droppy

Super-Moderator
Staff member
Super-Moderator
Reaction score
Did some research for ya:

1 - Is it good for RTS Games (Stronghold, Age of Empires, etc)?
Here is a guy playing Total War: Rome ll with an early prototype of the Steam Controller:

Discussion about this video and your question is here:

2 - Can I use it for games outside Steam itself and have my own configurations? For instance, I want to play some indie game that's not on Steam (or some older games such Roller Coaster etc)
AFAIK you are required to add the non-steam game to Steam and play in Big Picture mode. If you do not do that, the controller (might) won't be recognized

3 - How about FPS games? Is it really good?
Here is a video about a guy playing a FPS game with the controller:

4 - Is it possible to use it on a Android phone with some sort of hack?

The steam controller doesn't use standard bluetooth. It's a modified version of it. I might be wrong but it can't pair with other bluetooth devices.
Standard bluetooth was to slow, so they added a dongle for the game pad to use on the computer.
As for being used on android, I don't think it would work. It might, or some one might set up a software to get it to work, but currently on the pc,mac, and linux, you need steam on, and the steam overlay on games to make it work.
If you are just going to make an android game with a bluetooth controller, i would recommend getting a standard bluetooth controller to pair with your android device to test it out.
While the Steam controller is awesome and super customizable, Most people will be playing with a 360 or similar pad for the pc/linux/mac. And I would recommend getting one for your computer to test the games with.
After you finish the game, you can then add steam controller support to it if you wish :)
Source:

5 - Is it good for other tasks that's not gaming? As a remote mouse...
Yes, but you're required to use Controller Campanion ( )

6 -
In your opinion, is it worth the cash? Or should I go with the coffee maker :rolleyes:
I think the controller costs a lot of money, but I'm definitely planning to purchase one in combination Steam Link. I think it's worth the money, though. Anyway, the decision ain't hard for me. Coffee maker vs Steam Controller. I hate coffee! :)

I'm pretty sure you've seen and read a lot about it already, but I don't think it hurts to send you my research and opinion.

I am really curious about the answers from someone who actually has the controller.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Yes, but you're required to use Controller Campanion ( )

This is actually untrue, controller companion is needed when using any controller as a PC mouse. However out of the box, Steam allows you to use the right thumbstick as a mouse to controller desktop, and RT is used for left clicking. When launching Steam in big picture you can change the mapping of any single button on the controller to be any keyboard or mouse functionality.

I currently have my right stick as a mouse, and left stick as a scroll, it's easy to lay in bed and browse things on my computer just using the controller.

For anyone wondering, when you launch any game in big picture mode that isn't natively controller supported, Steam allows you to either create your own mapping, specific to that game using the same things as above, or download a community template which people can upload for that specific game, and has a rating system.

AFAIK you can even add non-steam games and it'll give you the same community mapping choice as long as it's named somewhat correctly. I would need to double check that though. I love my controller so far, it isn't the best, but it's nice to be able to map to non-controller games without using third-party software, and works well for Rocket League.

My only gripe currently is I'm not sure how to make it show up as just a normal controller. when using it for emulators I have to map every button to something on the keyboard, then map the emulator controls to that same keybind. If I could have it show up as some generic x-input controller I'd be really happy.

Back