Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Tutorial] Porting Chapter I weapon models

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
As I promised, I´m releasing my method to port CP1 weapons to CP3. After many tests, I found out a way to avoid editing the texture to get the correct cosine power map. So it´s even easier than before:

For this tutorial, we are going to port AK-47:

First of all, we need some knowledge: Chapter I (I was using a 2008 client) weapons models and animations were stored inside two files inside "Animation" folder. That forced me to find another path, since I wasn´t able to decompress those files.

In chapter 3, everything is spliced in many files inside ANIMATION.

A fun fact about DE: They tend to add new features spliced in parts, so that in an update they add new textures, in another one they add models etc...

The idea is clear: If we can get CP1 models in a CP3 format, we can por them. But... How? Remember the fact about DE and think about a Chapter where they could change the model system but keeping CPI models. That is.... ¡CHAPTER 2!

In chapter 2, they added the new texture system I explained in my other topic. There is a new cosine power map in the alpha channel that controls the amount of shine a weapon get. But, between 2009 (chapter II update) and 2012 (pre-Chapter III update) we still had CP1 models with their textures updated with the new alpha channel I explained above.

With that in mind, I went to check it: I downloaded a CP2 client and voila! The files were there. I ported them and the weapon loaded succesfully.

Now we can begin the tutorial:

1. Download a G1 client. I recommend you to use a 2010 client. Google it, it´s not hard to find it.

2. Now, we choose our weapon to port. I chose AK-47. Create a new folder, call it "Cp1 port" or whatever you like.

3. Inside that folder, create a new one called "animation". THE NAMES ARE CASE SENSITIVE, SO YOU´D BETTER CALL THE FOLDERS THE SAME AS ME. Add another folder: "texture".

4. Navigate to your 2010 client and go to the "animation folder". Now we are going to copy some files to our new folder. For every file we copy, we need to add the correct path in our new "animation" folder we just created:

A) animation\AG\1st_Animations\AR\AK-47.AG Copy it and add it inside your animation folder following the same path.

B) animation\butt\1st_animation\AR\AK-47.butt The same as above.

C) Check if butt\3rd_animation\U_AR\ has any AK-47 file. In this case not, and the 3rd animation is controlled by the old compressed file (which you still have, despite being a CP3 client). If you had one, proceed as above. If not, skip this step.

D) animation\SGF\1st_weapon\AR\. Copy AK.SGF to your folder, add path...

E) animation\SGF\3rd_weapon\. Search for your 3rd person file. In my case, it was named: AK_3rd. Add the folders as before.

F) animation\WCD\ Copy AK.WCD. Add the paths like we have done with the other files.

¡We finished collecting the 3D stuff! Not it´s the turn for the textures.

Open your AK.SGF with a Hex Editor (although a plain text editor does the trick too) and search for ".dds". You will find something like this: Poly....ak.dds

AK.dds is our texture, and we have to find it. Navigate to your 2010 client and open "texture" folder. Forget about "1stWeapons" since this folder is not used anymore ( think they stopped using it when they updated to CP II. Those textures don´t have a cosine power map). Instead, go to "Weapon" folder:

texture\Weapon\1stWeapons\

Copy ak.dds and create a path for it inside your "CP1 port" folder or whatever you named it. Now that we have the first person model texture, we need the 3rd person one.

Go to:

texture\Weapon\3rd_Weapon\ and copy ak_01.dds. Proceed as we did with the first person texture.

NOTE: Some texture inside texture\3rd_Weapon are still used by the flying grenade and shell effects, so you´d better keep it if you don´t have the knowledge to delete the unused files and skip the used.

¡We are finished! Copy all the files inside: "CP1 port" and paste them inside your client folder. Accept the file replacement and enjoy your CP1 AK-47.

Proof:
DarkRaptor - [Tutorial] Porting Chapter I weapon models - RaGEZONE Forums

Questions? Here!

Last edited:
◝(⁰▿⁰)◜Smile◝ (⁰▿⁰)◜
Developer
Reaction score
Nice job! This is a nice tutorial for people who are trying to add extra guns to their client.

Last edited:
Back