Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Guide] How To Setup eAthena Text Version

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I'm not updating any of my guides/downloads on RaGEZONE anymore. Please go for more up-to-date downloads and guides along with more support.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
How To Setup eAthena Text Version
by: Yetsuki
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Downloads

First off, this guide will teach the secrets of running a server with just Sakray. Download the latest Sakray from one of the links http://forum.ragezone.com/ragnarok-online-dev/download-list-v3-0-a-155835.html.

Next, you'll need the latest RagLite by MitzuriX. Get it .

Once you've downloaded both, install Sakray to wherever you want. Once it's done installing, extract RagLite in your main RO folder, overwriting any files that need to be overwritten.

Finally, you're gonna need translations, unless you like reading Korean and ASCII. Get it . Extract it in your main RO folder and overwrite any files that need to be overwritten.

After all that downloading, you'll probably need to update Sakray. Open up Sakray.exe and let it do it's thing (It should be in english because of the translations) If you get any errors, try using program to update it.

IP Addresses

Before being able to setup the configuration files, you must first know your IP addresses. To do this, go to Start--> Run--> then type "cmd" without the quotes and hit enter. Once a DOS box pops up, type in "ipconfig /all" without the quotes. A list of a whole bunch of crap will come up. Try to find an IP that starts with 192.168.x.x (X being any ol' number). If the IP is 192.168.1.1, it's not your LAN IP, that's your subnet. Jot down your LAN IP somewhere.

Then go to and jot down the IP that you see, this is you WAN IP.

Configuration

Part 1 - Character Config
Go into your eAthena folder and then your conf folder. Open up your char_athena.conf with any ol' text editor. Look for the lines noted and edit them to what it specifies below.
Code:
server_name: eAthena <---Change to your server's new name.

//login_ip: 127.0.0.1    <---Remove the "//" and change to LAN IP.

// char_ip:127.0.0.1    <---Remove the "//" and change to WAN IP.
The rest of the file you can change to your liking.

Part 2 - Map Config
Now open map_athena.conf. Look for the lines noted and edit them to what it specifies below.
Code:
//char_ip: 127.0.0.1    <---Remove the "//" and change to LAN IP.

//map_ip: 127.0.0.1    <---Remove the "//" and change to WAN IP.
The rest of the file you can change to your liking.

Part 3 - Subnet Config
Now open up your subnet_athena.conf. By default it should be:
Code:
subnet: 255.0.0.0:127.0.0.1:127.0.0.1
But you should change it to:
Code:
subnet: 255.255.0.0:LAN:LAN
Where it say's "LAN" you should put your LAN IP.

Part 4 - GRF Config
Now open up your grf-files.txt. Edit it as followed:
Code:
//-----------------------------------------
// GRF List

grf: C:\Program Files\Gravity\RO\data.grf    <--- Delete this entire line.
grf: C:\Program Files\Gravity\RO\sdata.grf  <--- Change this to the path to your sdata.grf file which is in your main RO folder.

// You may add more in this format
// grf: <data file path>

//------ Others ---------------------------

//Path to directory that contains the data dir 
//NOTE: Path must include trailing backslash, only one data_dir entry is supported.
//data_dir: C:\Program Files\Gravity\RO\   <--- Delete the "//" and change the path to your main RO folder's path.
NOTE: Any other files in the config folder you can edit to your liking. It takes some time, but that's the price you pay for a customized server.

Port Fowarding

This is for people with routers only! First off you're going to have to know what type of router you have. Should say it somewhere on itself. Once you've figured that out, go . Find your router (I have a Westell Versalink 327 W, so that's what I'd click on.) Once you're on the new page, either search for Ragnarok Online Server, or just click on any ol' one. But while following the directions, don't use the ports that it specifies, instead forward 6900, 6121, and 5121 in both TCP and UCP

Getting People To Connect

Download and extract it anywhere. This can be the main patch for your players. It contains the sclientinfo.xml, DATA.ini, and a .dll which is the mouse freedom thing. You really don't have to change anything except the sclientinfo.xml which is in the next step.

You'll also need to stick an edited Sakexe in there that you've edited with the diffpatcher OR you can download my new Custom Sakexe which is all ready to go.

<--- To make your own Sakexe
<--- Pre-built Sakexe

Once it's all done edited, pack it up in a zip or rar or whatever you want file and hand it out to your players.

Editing Sclientinfo.xml

If you've downloaded the Server Patch, then all you need to do is edit it to whatever it says. Alternatively you can create a text file and rename it sclientinfo.xml. Edit it wherever it specifies.
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="euc-kr" ?> 
<clientinfo> 
<servicetype>korea</servicetype>
<servertype>sakray</servertype>
  <connection>
     <display>YOUR SERVER'S NAME</display>
     <desc>None</desc> 
     <address>YOUR IP ADDRESS</address>
     <port>6900</port>
     <version>20</version>
     <langtype>8</langtype>
     <registrationweb></registrationweb>
     <aid>
      <admin></admin>
     </aid>
  </connection>
</clientinfo>
The important part of the sclientinfo.xml is that YOU use your LAN IP in the address line. OTHER PEOPLe use your WAN IP in the address line.

If you want, you can add your account's ID inbetween the <admin> parts to get GM clothing (which is kinda gay, but some people like it).

How To Change Rates

Open up your config folder and then go into the battle folder. Open exp.conf. Edit it to the following:

They're both in percentages so take the rate you'd want (say I wanted 500x) and add two 0's at the end of it (so I'd put 50000).
Code:
base_exp_rate: 100  <--- Change to desired base exp rate.

job_exp_rate: 100    <--- Change to desired job exp rate.
Everything else in that file is basically penalties and MVP stuff.

How To Change Max Level

This is kinda tricky, but once you realize how to do it, it's easy. Alright, go into your db folder and open up exp2.txt It should be EXTREMELY lengthy. But edit it to the following:
Code:
//Base - Normal Jobs
99,0:1:2:3:                      <--- Edit first number to desired max BASE level for NORMAL jobs

//Base - Adv Jobs
99,4001:4002:4003:      <--- Edit first number to desired max BASE level for ADVANCED jobs

//Base - Baby Jobs
99,4023:4024:4025:      <--- Edit first number to desired max BASE level for BABY jobs

//Job - 1st Classes
50,1:2:3:                        <--- Edit first number to desired max JOB level for 1ST CLASS jobs

//Job - 2nd Classes
99,7:8:                           <--- Edit first number to desired max JOB level for 2ND CLASS jobs

//Job - Super Novice
50,23,1,30                     <--- Edit first number to desired max JOB level for SUPER NOVICE

//Job - Adv First Classes
50,4002:                        <--- Edit first number to desired max JOB level for ADVANCED FIRST CLASS jobs

//Job - Adv Second Classes
99,4008:                        <--- Edit first number to desired max JOB level for ADVANCED SECOND CLASS jobs

//Job - Star Gladiator
99,4047:                        <--- Edit first number to desired max JOB level for STAR GLADIATOR

//Job - 1st Baby Classes
50                                 <--- Edit first number to desired max JOB level for 1ST CLASS BABY jobs

//Job - 2nd Baby Classes
50,4030:4031               <--- Edit first number to desired max JOB level for 2ND CLASS BABY jobs

//Job - Super Baby
50,4045,                      <--- Edit first number to desired max JOB level for SUPER BABY

After changing all those numbers, copy everything and paste it into the file exp.txt (in your db folder) and make sure you overwrite everything.

After that, go to conf/battle/client.conf and look for
max_lv:
Put there the highest possible level that you placed on the exp.txt

End Note

If I fucked up on anything, please let me know. If any of the links are dead or you can't get somethin' to work, please let me know. I'll be making two more guides soon, unfortunately, I won't be making an SQL setup guide. Have fun with your server.

Last edited:
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Great guide but when i click the runserver batch it says that the char server crashed. and on the login page it says that the connection of char server refused. the map servers connection is also refused. can you help?

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Do you know how to run the servers through CMD? If you do, try to get a screenie of the char and map server. Just saying, "It crashes" isn't enough info.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Do you know how to run the servers through CMD? If you do, try to get a screenie of the char and map server. Just saying, "It crashes" isn't enough info.

nevermind lol i got it working, thanks for your guide again.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
omg why txt use sql its easyer to handling and better

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
what you do and how you play affter u done edit sclient info and other stuff?

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Go into your eAthena folder and open up a file called "runserver.bat" Three DOS boxes should appear. Wait for all of them to load, then open up your Sakexe. When you make your account make sure you put a _M for male or _F for female after your account name.

omg why txt use sql its easyer to handling and better
'cause it's too hard for nubs to set up.

Last edited:
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
where is sakexe. and what it look like? and do i just run server bat and run sakexe each time i want to play?
oh i use to play other Ro server can i jsut take it from there?
oh try to here my aim message me there is easier
Lubugm << my aim name
and what you mean let the 3 dos load you mean like when i just click on runserver then i click on sakayexe next? and i already make acc like u say so do i put the acc that i make in there?
i rune sakayexe is say error how can i fix that? by the way where can i download sakeexe because i jsut took it from anotehr server

Last edited:
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
runserver.bat boots up the server, so you'd have to open that each time you want people to connect or if you want to play. Sakexe is inside your main Ro folder (the place where you installed Sakray). When you open it, the game client should boot up and you can start playing.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
can you talk me in aim?
oh and do i need HexdRo?
and i have this stuff for sarkay sarkkay patch client, sak_setup0711.exe is a bitcomet file i think i dont know how to install it and do you need to install it?
ok now the patch client keep say failed to connect something txt file
i dont get the middle part and i dont have the translatero do i need it

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'm gonna give this a try. I'll post up about my results later, but this guide looks really good. Thanks for it. :)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
i cant login to client :construct (i use modem ADE-3400)
(see my Attach)
thanks

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
can you talk me in aim?
oh and do i need HexdRo?
and i have this stuff for sarkay sarkkay patch client, sak_setup0711.exe is a bitcomet file i think i dont know how to install it and do you need to install it?
ok now the patch client keep say failed to connect something txt file
i dont get the middle part and i dont have the translatero do i need it

Sakexe is the same thing as a HexedRO. Download SAK_SETUP0711.exe through a direct link instead of a torrent if you don't know how to use it. YES you do need the translations unless you wanna read Korean. And I provided an alternative program to patch in the guide... Read a little better 'cause all this stuff is in the guide...

i cant login to client (i use modem ADE-3400)
(see my Attach)
thanks
You're missing new_1-1.gat which is one of the first maps... So you probably fucked up on the grf file paths. Go into your config folder and then open up grf-files.txt and check the path to your sdata.grf and data.grf (If you have it). Also, what does your subnet_athena.conf say?

i cant login to client (i use modem ADE-3400)
(see my Attach)
thanks
Thank you for testing ^.^

Last edited:
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
ok thanks but do u think is faster to install the sak_setup0711 in botcomet or it better to download the sak_setup0711.exe in the download section?

oh and afffter iget the sak_setup0711.exe what i do?

ok now i jsut use diff patch thing and i create this exe is say 2006-08-07a_sakexe_v11 and i click on it is say i missing some stuff the i keep clicking then it say gravity error
the miissing stuff is
sprite/shadow.spr
sprite/shadow.act
then there the 1 say resoure error.somthing here cant understand then the last part is say /bgi_temp_bmp
help em please

Last edited:
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
It takes everyone forever to download it. Sadly, you do need it to create a server/play on one.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
subnet_athena.conf
// Subnet support file
// Format is:
// subnet: net-submask:char_ip:map_ip
// you can add more than one subnet

subnet: 255.0.0.0:192.168.1.100:192.168.1.100

grf-files.txt
// GRF List

grf: E:\ROVN\sdata.grf

// You may add more in this format
// grf: <data file path>

//------ Others ---------------------------

//Path to directory that contains the data dir
//NOTE: Path must include trailing backslash, only one data_dir entry is supported.
data_dir: E:\ROVN

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
but ... error :drinks_no

See all file conf
char_athena.conf
// Athena Character configuration file.

// Server Communication username and password.
userid: s1
passwd: p1

// Server name, use alternative character such as ASCII 160 for spaces.
// NOTE: You should not use spaces in the server name, or guild emblems won't work client-side!
server_name: RO_Offline

// Wisp name for server: used to send wisp from server to players (between 4 to 23 characters)
wisp_server_name: Server

// Login Server IP
// The character server connects to the login server using this IP address.
// NOTE: This is useful when you are running behind a firewall or are on
// a machine with multiple interfaces.
login_ip: 192.168.1.100

// The character server listens on the interface with this IP address.
// NOTE: This allows you to run multiple servers on multiple interfaces
// while using the same ports for each server.
//bind_ip: 127.0.0.1

// Login Server Port
login_port: 6900

// Character Server IP
// The character server exports this IP address to the entire world.
// NOTE: You should only need to set this if you are running behind a
// firewall or are on a machine with multiple interfaces.
char_ip:125.234.130.194

// Character Server Port
char_port: 6121

map_athena.conf
//--------------------------------------------------------------
// Configuration Info
//--------------------------------------------------------------
// Interserver communication passwords, set in account.txt (or equiv.)
userid: s1
passwd: p1

// Character Server IP
// The map server connects to the character server using this IP address.
// NOTE: This is useful when you are running behind a firewall or are on
// a machine with multiple interfaces.
char_ip: 192.168.1.100

// The map server listens on the interface with this IP address.
// NOTE: This allows you to run multiple servers on multiple interfaces
// while using the same ports for each server.
//bind_ip: 127.0.0.1

// Character Server Port
char_port: 6121

// Map Server IP
// The map server exports this IP address to the entire world.
// NOTE: You should only need to set this if you are running behind a
// firewall or are on a machine with multiple interfaces.
map_ip: 125.234.130.194

// Map Server Port
map_port: 5121

sclientinfo.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="euc-kr" ?>

<clientinfo>

<desc>Ragnarok Client Information - Taiwan Version</desc>

<servicetype>korea</servicetype>
<servertype>sakray</servertype>

<connection>
<display>RO Offline</display>
<desc>Ragnarok Online</desc>
<address>192.168.1.100</address>
<port>6900</port>
<version>20</version>
<langtype>07</langtype>
<registrationweb>Athena</registrationweb>
</connection>

</clientinfo>

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
hehehe, when i add line
grf: E:\ROVN\data.grf

and change subnet
255.255.255.0:192.168.1.100:192.168.1.100

i can login to client
thanks your server.
this my pic(see my attach)

however, i use client ro vn too, you can download it in web :

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
What is the correct way to connect to the server? What exe do I use to connect? I tried the sakray program and it's korean, and I did use the translations package. What do you other guys use? And I did get the server running, at least it looks that way from the windows command line windows.

Back