Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[SHOWCASE] EQ Trilogy Velious 100% Accurate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well I went on a code binge from Friday to today... I put in 80 hours coding or thinking of coding this. Something I have wanted to do for a LONG time. And now after 1010 (exactly) versions of code and rebuilding I am proud to present my perfectly working EQ Trilogy showcase.

-Reason for the project:
The first and only time I played EverQuest was in 2001, I played for the 15 day free trial and I really loved it. I really enjoyed the idea of going into a dungeon or heck even outside at night and needing a torch to light the way, and I loved the FPS style game play. I was busy with school and the idea of monthly fee didn't appeal to me, so I didn't keep up.

Imagine my shock when years later I tried EQ again and found everything had changed. Not only did Verant/Sony take out the incredible lighting engine, they made 3rd person the preferred playing style :( YUK~! I know EQ Project 1999 tried to bring back some of the coolness of the old game but they use a client that can't or won't support the features of the original and oh so awesome EverQuest from 1999-2002.

So with the scraps of code and meager database resources I could pull together, I applied my massive intellect (+10 INT easily) and went to work. I didn't expect to get this far this fast...

I will post a full dev; list (which will be huge) eventually.
Hopefully in the pics you get the idea:
-All Race/Class original combinations work.
-Combat works
-Zones work
-AI works (hopefully some of the combat logs show it if not I'll take more pics later).
-The old lighting system works. It's DARK outside at night and I have a candle even!
-Quests work
-Inventory works
-Spells work
-You have to use the 1999 EQ interface or Velious 2002 interface just like in 2002 :) not like in EQ Titanium where the interface is an add on and doesn't really fully function the same.

Pics or it didn't happen:

EQ000000 - [SHOWCASE] EQ Trilogy Velious 100% Accurate - RaGEZONE Forums EQ000001 - [SHOWCASE] EQ Trilogy Velious 100% Accurate - RaGEZONE Forums EQ000002 - [SHOWCASE] EQ Trilogy Velious 100% Accurate - RaGEZONE Forums EQ000004 - [SHOWCASE] EQ Trilogy Velious 100% Accurate - RaGEZONE Forums EQ000005 - [SHOWCASE] EQ Trilogy Velious 100% Accurate - RaGEZONE Forums

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
[Reserved for development log]

Pics or it didn't happen:

EQ000007 - [SHOWCASE] EQ Trilogy Velious 100% Accurate - RaGEZONE Forums EQ000000 (2) - [SHOWCASE] EQ Trilogy Velious 100% Accurate - RaGEZONE Forums EQ000012 - [SHOWCASE] EQ Trilogy Velious 100% Accurate - RaGEZONE Forums EQ000010 - [SHOWCASE] EQ Trilogy Velious 100% Accurate - RaGEZONE Forums EQ000007 - [SHOWCASE] EQ Trilogy Velious 100% Accurate - RaGEZONE Forums

[Reserved for test info] [I will host this at some point if enough are interested.]

Not sure how many people (other than hardcore D&D people like me) want to go back and play EverQuest when it had older graphics and sound and was 10x harder than hell. If your interested respond here.

On the shoulders of giants:

EQEmu - Without them this would not have even been worth looking into.
EQC - - For the client links.
OpenEQC - They tried and failed and got beat down on the EQC forums a lot. They were moving in the right direction. They just needed a real coder.
Time - For somehow slowing down so I could do this all in one weekend, and still watch football and eat at a restaurant.
Sony/Verant - For making the game.

Attachments

Last edited:
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I've been busy playing but did get one more update done.

-Faction, all faction works as it did in Velious.
-Faction AI implemented. Guards will defend you if you have proper faction only, so the "evil" classes are much, much, harder to play starting out. Running back to the town, they will let you die, where a "good" faction player will be saved.

I also compared to The Al'kabor Project (The Al'Kabor Project Wiki) and while that is a cool project they don't have the real time lighting so I will continue to develop this.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I call this the torch story, hopefully it shows how lighting in EQ used to be. This was implemented in Direct-X 6~7, and was broken when they 4th expansion was released and they upgraded to Direct-X 8 They never bothered to fix it and left the whole game washed out, and made all the cool objects that cast light and shadows worthless.

Here you can see I have a torch. When I jump in the water, the torch goes out! I get back on land and it's still out! I have to light the torch back up to get it to work again so I can see in the dank, dark aqueducts. Way more cool than the current game, where you can plow through here without worrying about it ever being dark at all.

001-torch_on_looking_at_begger - [SHOWCASE] EQ Trilogy Velious 100% Accurate - RaGEZONE Forums 002_torch_in_water_out - [SHOWCASE] EQ Trilogy Velious 100% Accurate - RaGEZONE Forums 003_torch_out_of_water_still_dark - [SHOWCASE] EQ Trilogy Velious 100% Accurate - RaGEZONE Forums 004_lite_my_torch_light_again - [SHOWCASE] EQ Trilogy Velious 100% Accurate - RaGEZONE Forums

Attachments

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Still working on this:
-Converting Al'kabor Project database to EQ Classic level (AK is one version higher, POP, so it's a great starting point).
-Reworking a lot of the code to eliminate heap errors and memory crashes.

Retired. Don't PM.
Developer
Reaction score
We're actually working on this on TAKP/EQEmulator if you would be willing to contribute or join forces in some way.

Contact me in EQEmulator's IRC (irc.eqemulator.net:6667 #takpmembers ) I assume you're using the leaked EQClassic source. I have some work done on the client, and the server so far - Kunark just got completed on TAKP and the EQMac/Trilogy clients are very similar so whatever we can work on will benefit each other.

See also: https://github.com/SecretsOTheP/EQEmuLoginHook - this will allow the client to run windowed natively without EQW.

Our (rough) trilogy repository is listed here:
https://github.com/EQMacEmu/Server/commits/trilogy

If you would like feel free to contribute to our trilogy repository - you are more than welcome to use our code.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Still working on this. I fixed most of the heap crashes and now I'm debating on adding the bot code which is a huge process that would take me a few months, weeks, day or hours depending on how much time I get and my motivation level. The game is incredibly hard, may be the hardest PC game (forget even MMO) made, and trying to solo is just a nightmare. If I do make a public server I would not expect a big population so I have to consider that and I'm also building this for my own enjoyment so I have to consider those points, over being 100% accurate anymore.

@SecretsOThePast ( a_gnoll_pup ) https://github.com/SecretsOTheP/Server, thanks for the info. As for the code base I started here: https://en.osdn.jp/projects/sfnet_eqemulator/releases/ and then added a ton from the various sources, Yealight release (not leak), OpenEQC, EQEMU. Building up this way takes a hell of a long time to do but has allowed me to understand the project much better and make the changes I want. It also makes the code more divergent and harder to implement into other repos, though if time allows I will look at yours old and new.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back