Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Archive Analysis and Understanding the Client

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I'm still a beginner when it comes to all this, and it's been really hard to find tutorials on the subject. I've already read through so I have a basic understanding of how to look at these archives, but I feel like I'm stuck. For reference, I'm currently looking at the client files for the NA version of Eden Eternal, but I'm hoping to be able to apply this to other games too. I'm not looking for a tool to unpack them for me, I want to understand how to do this and how it all works to increase my own technical knowledge.

So here's what I've figured out so far. I'm using Hex Workshop to look at the files in the pkg folder. pkg.idx seems to have the package version and a folder structure. I'm assuming that the other files reference this one and that this one is a root of sorts. It does not appear to be compressed or encrypted as I can make out file names and a folder structure. There's a lot of blank space and I don't understand why. The space between each file is consistent, at 0250. I can't make heads or tails of the part after the package version. The numbers are either too high or too low to reference other places in the document, the number of files, or anything like that.

Looking at the pkg files themselves, they appear to be compressed using Zlib. They start with x and the rest looks like gibberish. Plus, since I did use a tool to unpack the files to help me along, I already know that the unpacked versions are much larger. How do I go about decompressing them so I can look at the file more easily? I've found a few resources on how to recognize compression, but absolutely nothing on how to actually deal with it.

Lastly, how do I look at the game's executables? There's a few .dat files in the main folder that look promising, but I haven't even been able to figure out how to get started there.

So, can someone point me in the right direction here? Is my current thought process at least going in the right direction? I figure part of the reason I'm having trouble finding tutorials is that I don't know what to look for, so any help there is much appreciated. Again, I'm looking to understand these things myself, so I'm not looking for something to unpack the files for me (I already found something to let me do that anyway). Thanks ahead of time for any help!

Back