Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Serious doubt about copyright/trademark

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Hello guys.

I'm currently modding an existing MMO (lets say WoW) to make it look like a MMO from another franchise (lets say Pokemon).

So my questions is... since I know it'd be totally illegal due to copyright/trademark infringement. Is there any way to host a server for it and obtain profit from it without being sued and having a great chance of losing?

I know host providers like so for the hosting side it's not a problem since no one would know the host owner is me. The thing comes about the payments. I don't know of any payment gateway which offers the same privacy as prq. So is there any like this out there that you know so I can't be traced? What could I do?

Or maybe I'm just overthinking it and if I'm hosting the server in Sweden (where I think it's not illegal for foreigners) there would be no problems as I'm from France and I'm not commiting any illegal act in my country and I'm doing it in one where it's not illegal also?

I know many private servers that have really taken most of the playerbase from the official servers or just got a lot of money they'd have earnt like Eternia Games did with Last Chaos. And they were never closed nor I've heard about them being sued and losing.

Sorry if anything of what I've said (like that it's not illegal in Sweden) sounds too dumb but I'm a total ignorant about this and I'd really like to know which are my posibilities.

CATMAGEDDON
Loyal Member
Reaction score
unless u dont want lawyers on your back like i had for my youtube videos u have to be undetectable(i moved all to dailymotion its more permissive)
use paypal for payment as "service" or ask em to buy bitcoins

Upvote 0
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
unless u dont want lawyers on your back like i had for my youtube videos u have to be undetectable(i moved all to dailymotion its more permissive)
use paypal for payment as "service" or ask em to buy bitcoins

But with paypal wouldn't it still be linked to me somehow since the account is at my name? I've heard about superrewards but I don't know if they will allow something to this or dont give out my info

Upvote 0
Back