Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Android]TimeDown [requires root]

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
What is TimeDown?
TimeDown is a simple app which allows you to schedule your android device's shutdown. Requires root.

To download it, please visit:
It's a free application, I'll probably stick it on github soon. Also, if you could, please try and test this on a variety of platforms. If you have a phone running a rooted version of gingerbread lying around somewhere, testing it on that would really help!
I'm running CM10.1 on my S3 and I can confirm it works.

Please post any bug reports here. I'll do my best to fix them :D

Thanks,
Adil

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Whats actually the use of it? Also would be glad if you could release the source if you dont have problem with it Caustik

Praise the Sun!
Loyal Member
Reaction score

It's to shutdown an android device at a specified time (i.e if you're listening to music and wish to shut off the phone to preserve battery).

Wouldn't it be better to shut down the music player in that case? It's great that you've found your way into developing for Android devices, but shutting one down is something rare (I haven't had my phone shutdown for more than 5 minutes for over 2 years).

Scheduling to kill apps might be more useful if it has not been done before.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be better to shut down the music player in that case? It's great that you've found your way into developing for Android devices, but shutting one down is something rare (I haven't had my phone shutdown for more than 5 minutes for over 2 years).

Scheduling to kill apps might be more useful if it has not been done before.
I kinda wrote this really for personal usage, but I thought someone may have some use for it.
Thanks for the idea about scheduled shutdowns on certain apps though! :D

Google my name...
Reaction score
I kinda wrote this really for personal usage, but I thought someone may have some use for it.
Thanks for the idea about scheduled shutdowns on certain apps though! :D

I do see the reasoning for your app in terms of overnight, I do find my phone is pretty much gone by the next morning if I leave it playing music or leave myself logged into Skype etc.

But I see a bigger market for killing apps than a full shutdown.

I'll look over the code when I'm home from work, I have never really looked into app development.

JavaScript Is Best Script
Reaction score
I would advise using Android's AlarmManager class instead of the Handler class in your case. According to Android, "The Alarm Manager is intended for cases where you want to have your application code run at a specific time, even if your application is not currently running." This way, your actions will still be fired in case the activity gets killed.

Additionally, you might want to allow for multiple "time downs." This would perhaps make your application more appealing to the users.

Those aside, great idea!

Back