Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Atom: Open Source Text Editor

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just recently started to use Atom, the text editor made by GitHub, and I think it is really powerful.

You can fully customize it to whatever are your needs, it looks very promising and I am very happy to use this new tool.

Have you guys tried it yet? Let me know your thoughts.

Here is the website:

Sorry if this is the wrong section.

Reaction score
Atom's pretty cool. It is quite similar to Sublime, though that's a good thing in my book. It's built on top of Node - they actually created something called Atom Shell, later renamed to , that they use as a base for their app. Anyone can use it to create standalone WebKit-based apps, similar to giving an application on the web its own actual cross-platform application. Pretty cool.

Atom's extension interface is apparently quite easy and quite powerful - if you know Javascript, you can develop and release extensions for Atom. Really cool; less of a barrier than most other editors, Sublime included.

I'm still waiting on it to mature. It also is just plain slower than Sublime. This is difficult to deal with, as it's a limitation of Node itself. This is most noticeable when dealing with very large files - Sublime and numerous other text editors will be able to open and manipulate them much more quickly than Atom. The speed difference is often not noticeable when working on smaller projects though, from what I've seen. A coworker of mine is trying out Atom - I'm sticking with Sublime for the time being.

Ben

Developer - JS
Developer
Reaction score
Of what i see from atom, it just sucks that theres no CTRL + Spacebar autocomplete or suggestion like other IDE's have if they would have it for java, then i would consider switching IDE's for sure but for now, autocompletion saves lots of time on my work.

Reaction score
Of what i see from atom, it just sucks that theres no CTRL + Spacebar autocomplete or suggestion like other IDE's have if they would have it for java, then i would consider switching IDE's for sure but for now, autocompletion saves lots of time on my work.

Atom isn't an IDE, but it sounds like there are plugins that can do that.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
The package library for atom already has a good collection of plugins, and as you mentioned, potential for many more! My background has been completely composed of using IDEs. It has been refreshing to use Atom for it's simplicity, design-wise and package-wise, in my opinion. I've been using atom and it's plugins for web development and I've been really impressed with the packages. I do not have much experience with sublime but have heard that they are somewhat similar and easy to switch over from. I'm excited for it's future especially since its made by github and so easy to manipulate!

Back