[Electron + React] - Venobo

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Registered Delight is offline
    MemberRank
    May 2017 Join Date
    15Posts

    cool [Electron + React] - Venobo


    RaGEZONE Recommends

    RaGEZONE Recommends

    Venobo is your own free personal torrent streaming service!

    Currently the app is possible of fetching torrent metadata from:
    • Kickass (sometimes there's timeout / gateway issues)
    • Pirate Bay (sometimes there's timeout / gateway issues)
    • YTS
    • ExtraTorrent
    • Rarbg
    • iDope
    • MagnetDL


    It uses the TMDb API to receive media data and WebTorrent for torrent downloading.

    This service will include many different features that will vary.
    Features such as:

    • Accessible offline through caching
    • Caching
    • Search engine
    • Encoding unsupported codecs using ffmpeg
    • Recommendations
    • Discover
    • Notifications
    • A built-in proxy connection
    • Advanced video player
    • And a lot more..


    I've created a git repository for this project:
    https://github.com/venobo/app/tree/dev

    Video preview so far:


    All kinds of feedback and further features that could be added will be appreciated!


  2. #2
    Deep thoughts [Electron + React] - Venobo Joopie is offline
    SubscriberRank
    Jun 2010 Join Date
    The NetherlandsLocation
    2,578Posts

    Re: [Electron + React] - Venobo

    I have to say, this looks awesome already. I like the design and concept of it. One thing I notice in your video is the extreem long loading time. In your feature list I see "caching", I hope that will decrease loading to none :)
    Keep the good work up!

  3. #3
    Registered Delight is offline
    MemberRank
    May 2017 Join Date
    15Posts

    Re: [Electron + React] - Venobo

    Quote Originally Posted by Joopie View Post
    I have to say, this looks awesome already. I like the design and concept of it. One thing I notice in your video is the extreem long loading time. In your feature list I see "caching", I hope that will decrease loading to none :)
    Keep the good work up!
    Thanks a lot I appreciate it.
    Yeah, due to many HTTP requests that has to be made, the loading time can be a bit much. I tried disabling various torrent providers like kat and tpb, as their website is so damn slow. For app development until I find something better, I'm currently using YTS API and webscrapping on iDope, and that actually works pretty great and is fast.
    It caches 2 ways. One time in the state, so it lives forever meanwhile the app is open so no file reads or http requests has to be made, and then it gets written to a file in the app cache folder using a npm module I published.
    https://github.com/marcus-sa/local-storage-es6

  4. #4
    "(still lacks brains)" NoBrain is offline
    ModeratorRank
    Sep 2011 Join Date
    United KingdomLocation
    2,672Posts

    Re: [Electron + React] - Venobo

    Quote Originally Posted by Delight View Post
    Thanks a lot I appreciate it.
    Yeah, due to many HTTP requests that has to be made, the loading time can be a bit much. I tried disabling various torrent providers like kat and tpb, as their website is so damn slow. For app development until I find something better, I'm currently using YTS API and webscrapping on iDope, and that actually works pretty great and is fast.
    It caches 2 ways. One time in the state, so it lives forever meanwhile the app is open so no file reads or http requests has to be made, and then it gets written to a file in the app cache folder using a npm module I published.
    https://github.com/marcus-sa/local-storage-es6
    Perhaps run a background job and let the user carry on browsing the website while it processes their torrent in the background and then alert the user when it's ready? Should set up a job queue for that, beanstalkd for example. It would "mask" the time it takes to load.

    I'd also recommend using Redis as a session store and cache - I use it for my large traffic site (200M+ requests a month) - and it is super fast. You can also reduce the load time by ensuring images (thumbnails and such) are the correct dimensions rather than being unnecessarily large for the container they are being displayed in.

  5. #5
    Registered Delight is offline
    MemberRank
    May 2017 Join Date
    15Posts

    Re: [Electron + React] - Venobo

    Quote Originally Posted by NoBrain View Post
    Perhaps run a background job and let the user carry on browsing the website while it processes their torrent in the background and then alert the user when it's ready? Should set up a job queue for that, beanstalkd for example. It would "mask" the time it takes to load.

    I'd also recommend using Redis as a session store and cache - I use it for my large traffic site (200M+ requests a month) - and it is super fast. You can also reduce the load time by ensuring images (thumbnails and such) are the correct dimensions rather than being unnecessarily large for the container they are being displayed in.
    Electron automatically caches all images in the app cache folder which is nice. I've also thought about using Redis a couple of times, but when reading the doc for nodejs I haven't really found my needs fulfilled with what it's capable of, hence why I coded my own storage module, but surely Redis reduces write and read time aswell as size. For the matter of background job, it wouldn't make any sense, since it just fetches data from TMDb and metadata from the different torrent indexes. Something that would decrease the loading time, would be to move the torrent metadata and tmdb fetching to my own api server, so one user only have to wait the little time every 3 hours when refetching torrent data to ensure the seeders / leechers are correct.

  6. #6
    Registered Delight is offline
    MemberRank
    May 2017 Join Date
    15Posts

    Re: [Electron + React] - Venobo

    Last edited by Delight; 01-06-17 at 11:27 AM.

  7. #7
    Registered Delight is offline
    MemberRank
    May 2017 Join Date
    15Posts

    Re: [Electron + React] - Venobo

    #UPDATES
    Updated the core design and functionality of the search component

    http://imgur.com/a/K3yHX
    https://github.com/venobo/app/commit...c23b1d1c4c387c

  8. #8
    Registered Delight is offline
    MemberRank
    May 2017 Join Date
    15Posts

    Re: [Electron + React] - Venobo

    Decided to wrap my app in Redux, so there's a new branch for that.
    https://github.com/venobo/app/tree/redux-dev

  9. #9
    "(still lacks brains)" NoBrain is offline
    ModeratorRank
    Sep 2011 Join Date
    United KingdomLocation
    2,672Posts

    Re: [Electron + React] - Venobo

    I'm actually a really big fan of the design, do you happen to have the core CSS/JS/HTML files rather than me taking ages searching through your github files? I'd like to use it on a side project I'm working on, if possible.

  10. #10
    Registered Delight is offline
    MemberRank
    May 2017 Join Date
    15Posts

    Re: [Electron + React] - Venobo

    Quote Originally Posted by NoBrain View Post
    I'm actually a really big fan of the design, do you happen to have the core CSS/JS/HTML files rather than me taking ages searching through your github files? I'd like to use it on a side project I'm working on, if possible.
    I've just webscrapped it

    The design is from https://viaplay.dk

  11. #11
    Registered Delight is offline
    MemberRank
    May 2017 Join Date
    15Posts

    Re: [Electron + React] - Venobo

    Currently rewriting the entire application using Redux as state management instead.

    https://github.com/venobo/app/tree/redux-dev

    Is anyone familiar with using Webpack for Electron? It looks like Electron has published something called electron-compile but it's HMR doesn't seem to work proper compared to when using Webpack.

    The problem is that I receive two module errors that couldn't be resolved if I try to use Webpack; Long and ByteBuffer
    Last edited by Delight; 28-07-17 at 06:36 PM.




Advertisement