Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Installer - Multi Mirrored

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Showcase Section!

Me and My developer have been pretty busy on a installer but we are out of ideas for new features.
This installer downloads a .7z and unpacks it.
Let me explain the installer steps:

1. People open the installer, this pops:
DriftCity - Installer - Multi Mirrored - RaGEZONE Forums

It downloads all files that are needed to unpack the 7z file and store it in temp.

2. It will open:

There can be added multiple games / programs to download, people can just choose the game they want to download.

3. Then this opens:

People can select if they want to have a startmenu folder and Desktop shortcut from the game.exe or launcher.exe, they just put the install path or leave it default, they press install.
It will start downloading the client from one of the mirrors, it will select the first mirror from a XML file that is placed on your webserver, it looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<InstallConfig>
<Mirrors>
<Mirror>http://mirror1.com</Mirror>
<Mirror lastResort="true">http://mirror2.com</Mirror>
</Mirrors>
<File>ClockworkMU.7z</File> Exact name of the 7z the installer has to download
<Folder>ClockworkMU</Folder> The exact folder inside the .7z
<Executable>ClockworkMU.exe</Executable> The Executable that it uses for create shortcut and for Do you want to start playing the game now?
</InstallConfig>

Is a mirror down? It will go to the second mirror!

After downloading it will start unpacking the .7z.
When it's done it will ask: Do you want to start playing?

That's it so far, any ideas?

Please rate! :junglejane:

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
So is this downloading a private server of yours or an actual game?

Infraction Baɴɴed
Loyal Member
Reaction score
from my understanding of what you wrote we are downloading all files to then choose a destination for 1 game?

Infraction Baɴɴed
Loyal Member
Reaction score
why not combine the downloading and installing until the end?

to me it seems like it stores 1 file (contains both games) in temp, unpack and choose which game you want, then install.

Staff member
Reaction score
why not combine the downloading and installing until the end?

to me it seems like it stores 1 file (contains both games) in temp, unpack and choose which game you want, then install.

You just gotta read more carefully, Everything is explained how it works. I'll explain it 1 more time:

People download 1 small file, that will download a FEW MB of Data that is needed to unpack.
Step2: People choose the game they want.
Step3: It's downloading!
Step4: after downloading it's gonna install.
Step5: Your done.

Infraction Baɴɴed
Loyal Member
Reaction score
i just cant grasp my head around the whole download a few MB at the very start

1) it downloads a few MB to aid in the upacking
2) selected which game
3) unpack/download the actual game you selected
4) now installing
5) done

thats what it sounds like to me

not trying to flame or anything just understanding your reasoning for having your program access the web 2 times instead of once

Last edited:
Web & Interaction Design
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Could you not have the DLL included in the executable? Surely that would make more sense? :p:

Staff member
Reaction score
Could you not have the DLL included in the executable? Surely that would make more sense? :p:

Well my skills aren't good enough for that, there are a few files that are needed to run the patcher and let it unpack and download..I have the idea worked out and it's running but the optimizing is a problem for me.

• ♠️​ ♦️ ♣️ ​♥️ •
Reaction score
Well my skills aren't good enough for that, there are a few files that are needed to run the patcher and let it unpack and download..I have the idea worked out and it's running but the optimizing is a problem for me.

right-click on your reference and click properties. in the new window set interop type to true and local copy to false ... now, your reference should be implemented in your final compiled executable. that's how it should work at least, but my work mate just told me it does not. >.<

Back