Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[VB.Net]Pirate Stream [Music Downloader]

Reaction score
Pirate stream is a music downloading application, coded in vb.net, it allows the user (you) to select a country, genre, and size of list (i.e top 100, top 50, etc.) and it generates a top list based off of iTunes rss xml, it then reads the xml and lists the songs / artist, it then searches online music databases for the song, and allows you to play the song, and download the song. The program even keeps track of what songs you download, and if they appear on the top list, then it puts a check mark next to them, so you know if you have them already.

If you don't want the top list you can simply search a song, and listen / download it right there.

At the moment, i only have USA, Top Songs, size 10, and 'all genres' done for testing.

if you can think of any features please let me know, dont like something? tell me! love something? for god sakes post!

Icon:

dSb4E6V - [VB.Net]Pirate Stream [Music Downloader] - RaGEZONE Forums

Preview:
58ZlRiS - [VB.Net]Pirate Stream [Music Downloader] - RaGEZONE Forums

JxVvF11 - [VB.Net]Pirate Stream [Music Downloader] - RaGEZONE Forums

v1 Download:

v1.1 Download:

Virus Total:

Change Log:
v1.1:
Code:
-Added support for all Genres using iTunes library codes as follows.           
            '20 = alternative
            '2 = blues
            '4 = children's
            '22 = chistian & gospel
            '5 = classical
            '3 = comedy
            '6 = country
            '17 = dance
            '7 = electronic
            '50 = fitness
            '18 = hip-hop/rap
            '8 = holiday
            '11 = jazz
            '12 = latino
            '14 = pop
            '15 = r&b/soul
            '24 = reggae
            '21 = rock
            '10 = singer/songwriter
            '16 = soundtrack
            '50000061 = spoken word
            '19 = world

Flat UI Theme Credits to Mavamaarten

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Reaction score
Sorry for the double post but I was hoping for some feedback, there has been 15 downloads of v1 and 5 downloads of v1.1 and 202 views of this thread.

Please let me know what you think! I've been progressing this application and I'm curious what people think of it, is it even worth spending more time on at all? What don't you like about it? Thanks :D

Reaction score
It just doesn't work, Clicking on the buttons gives a feeling it wont work, but then suddenly something happens. I raged some buttons like 10 times and got it finally working. Download button is broken.

Overall, nice layout. But it's not user friendly.

Tip: make a waiting cursor so the user knows something is happening.

Zephyr Studios
Loyal Member
Reaction score
The program is very buggy, you probably know that, but I can't scroll down and download music, does it happen to you too?

Reaction score
Guess i should fix that, i didnt think about that but the download button doesnt get enabled until you click "search for song"
I can fix that though thanks, see being me knowing exactally how it works i dont know how others will try to use it.

It can only get better from here!
Thanks.

Google my name...
Reaction score
I have not downloaded this program as I am at work currently, but here's a few things for you which you should consider adding which would improve the useful-ness of this program.

1. Add Proxy settings for people to at least attempt to cover their tracks. In this day and age we are being watched for illegal downloads the more support you have for hiding people's details the better!
2. Have support for downloading entire albums instead of just downloading single tracks (if this is already the case please do let me know)
3. Sort out the UI, it is quite a good layout but a lot of it is off, for example if you take the ( x ) button from the image in your signature the 'x' is not centred, it hands slightly lower than it should.

Hope that brings some sort of insight into some changes you can make.
I'll make sure to download it tonight and see if there's anything else I can spot for you.

All the best,
Richard Komakech.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Flat UI Theme Credits to Mavamaarten, just had to say it :3

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Oh poop I was talking to mava at the time, so my brain was pretty weird. I meant to say the theme was made by iSynthesis
Sorry about that!

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Code:
#Region "AlertBox"
    Enum Style
  Success = 1
  Critical = 2
  Information = 3
    End Enum

Sub Alert(ByVal Style As Style, ByVal Text As String)
  Dim AlertBox As New FlatAlertBox With {.Dock = DockStyle.Bottom}
  Me.Controls.Add(AlertBox)
  AddHandler AlertBox.Click, AddressOf CloseAlert
  Dim CurrentHeight As Integer = Me.Size.Height
  Do Until Me.Size.Height >= CurrentHeight + 42
    Me.Size = New Drawing.Size(Me.Size.Width, Me.Size.Height + 2)
  Loop
  Select Case Style
    Case 1
    AlertBox.kind = FlatAlertBox._Kind.Success
    Case 2
    AlertBox.kind = FlatAlertBox._Kind.Error
    Case 3
    AlertBox.kind = FlatAlertBox._Kind.Info
  End Select
  AlertBox.Text = Text
  AlertBox.Visible = True
    End Sub

Sub CloseAlert()
  Dim CurrentHeight As Integer = Me.Size.Height
  Do Until Me.Size.Height <= CurrentHeight - 42
    Me.Size = New Drawing.Size(Me.Size.Width, Me.Size.Height - 2)
  Loop
    End Sub
#End Region

Usage: Alert(Style.Information, "It works!")

Style.Alert
Style.Info
Style.Success

For your alertbox, if you want somewhat an easier way to use the alertbox
(You don't need to put an alertbox into the form, as it'll automatically generate one and add it at the bottom of the app, also increases the size to put it in)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Oejha, The design is very smooth and it fit by windows 8. :D
Keep it up :D

Reaction score
@suspicioso I don't personally host any files, all files are hosted on third party music downloading sites such as mp3skull, my program simply uses iTunes rss generator to make a feed URL and get a top list, then when you search there is a web browser in the background running and searching these sites for the song you choose, when you push download it clicks the sites download button pragmatically, which is why an internet explorer download box appears, I'm not doing anything illegal.

It won't fit
Loyal Member
Reaction score
@suspicioso I don't personally host any files, all files are hosted on third party music downloading sites such as mp3skull, my program simply uses iTunes rss generator to make a feed URL and get a top list, then when you search there is a web browser in the background running and searching these sites for the song you choose, when you push download it clicks the sites download button pragmatically, which is why an internet explorer download box appears, I'm not doing anything illegal.

lol. Tell that to the pirate bay owner. Oh wait.. He's in jail.

• ♠️​ ♦️ ♣️ ​♥️ •
Reaction score

Yea, but stay careful. Even when you do not host such files, your program is supporting the copyright infringement. I programmed a mass downloader for several music from a specific website, too. However I do not share it to public, but when I would, I would be more safe than you against any sous, since the program needs the link lists in a crypted XML file that is not apart of the program itself.
I'm not sure so I would ask a lawyer on your position. ;)

Reaction score
So by that logic,

User -> My program -> Third party website -> Their File Host

In that chain who is held responsible for the actions of the user?

Nothing a simple terms of use cant fix, all im doing is providing the user a link to a site they cant find on their own, in that respect should google be held responsible as well?

• ♠️​ ♦️ ♣️ ​♥️ •
Reaction score
Nothing a simple terms of use cant fix, all im doing is providing the user a link to a site they cant find on their own, in that respect should google be held responsible as well?

Yes, as well. But Google got many expensive lawyers, you not.
It's a grey zone you are in. For your own safety you could build up some terms and conditions the user has to accept before using your program, explaining every responsibilities has to be taken by the user and your service is not meant to rip off copyright, just allowing people to find direct links of hosted files other people upload and share. As last prompt it should say "Get your full samples here, but buy the album when you like the artists work.", or something.

Just a suggestion for you to might get safer.

Back