Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Reverse Engineering Proprietary Game Files

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Firstly is IDA really the best reverse engineering software?
And if so can anyone link me a cracked version of it or a free alternative.

But on to the actual question, how does one even begin to reverse engineer or simply read the data stored in a proprietary game file? For example MapleStory's file the WZ has been read by others and converted to easier read file type of XMLs which are used in serving when hosting a server.

Please and thank you for all the help.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I am so happy you replied to this, I actual tried messaging you privately, cause I know you were one of the more knowledgeable and active forum users in relation to MapleStory, but it said your inbox was full. I'll follow up on what you said but I am not looking to do WZ editing if that wasn't stated it's for another game.

So any other suggestions?

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
You want to read another game files? (what game) First, do you know how to reverse at all?

Yeah I want to read the files for Star Wars the Old Republic, and yeah I know the basics on how to reverse plus I already have a whole book on how to use IDA, just wasn't sure if I should read it yet.

Reaction score
Well for Star Wars the Old Republic I would start by doing this.

1. Unpack Client .exe
2. Use IDA Pro to find the file type your looking for
3. Learn what that file type does and find the read function that reads that file type
4. Code that function to your most program language of choice to do what you need it to do
5. Profit!!!

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
great idea, way difference from how i was thinking about going about it, which was unack the .tor proprietary file.

Back