Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

How can I make my server support another client?

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hello Ragezone,

I've been wondering if I can make my server support another client, and how?

The server files written in C# 3.5 framework.

Notice: I don't have the source code of the server files, but it can be decompiled by any .net decompiler.

Any help will be appreciated.

[emoji848]
Legend
Reaction score
That's is too broad of a question to be answered really, "support" is a big word. First of all you'd have to detect packet changes and new packets and might end up re-developing the game based on new or deprecated features. It'll be a ton of fiddling and testing with how the clients respond to packets and adapting the server logic accordingly.

Reaction score
You'd have to understand exactly what the server<->client communication looks like. The server and client are independent programs, so in general (from a naive perspective) it doesn't matter if they are made with different programming languages. Circumstances, though, such as custom encryption, encoding, or systems that otherwise manipulate the packets to/from the server may be easier to do in a specific language simply because the code is already done in the server. In general, it's easier to do the client and server in the same programming language, but most of the time the server and client are in different programming languages.

So to answer the "if", yes you certainly can. To answer the "how", you would need a strong foundation on network programming. Are you trying to take an existing client designed for a different server, and just plug it into your server? I've got more questions than answers here, so I can't really answer this.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
You'd have to understand exactly what the server<->client communication looks like. The server and client are independent programs, so in general (from a naive perspective) it doesn't matter if they are made with different programming languages. Circumstances, though, such as custom encryption, encoding, or systems that otherwise manipulate the packets to/from the server may be easier to do in a specific language simply because the code is already done in the server. In general, it's easier to do the client and server in the same programming language, but most of the time the server and client are in different programming languages.

So to answer the "if", yes you certainly can. To answer the "how", you would need a strong foundation on network programming. Are you trying to take an existing client designed for a different server, and just plug it into your server? I've got more questions than answers here, so I can't really answer this.

Alright, I'd to take an existing client which is another language client.
I tried to connect my server to the new client, but it shows for me "Unhandled Packet", and tomorrow when I sit on the computer I'll add some pics.

Thanks for reply guys

Back