Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

DayZ Development So Far - Dean Hall at PAX Prime 2014

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
From NS2HD:
DayZ creator Dean Hall gives a summary of standalone development so far. At PAX Prime 2014, the DayZ crew realised they needed someone to film their panel. While I've never used a camera before in my life, I stepped up to the plate. Not your usual NS2HD fare, but what is life without variety?

This guy reordered the panel and edited it himself, which is awesome.

Reaction score
For a first timer editing a video I'd say he's done the job well.

Good to hear that ragdoll and full vehicle physics have been coded! Hopefully when released it doesn't upset the CPU and RAM usage too much. Also good to hear Zombie AI is being worked on to fix the bugs (wall glitches mainly) and hopefully they get coded a bit better.

I'd like to see them do weekly video's providing us what's going on like what they did. Maybe not as long, but a little like "What's happening this week" sort of thing.

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
For a first timer editing a video I'd say he's done the job well.

Good to hear that ragdoll and full vehicle physics have been coded! Hopefully when released it doesn't upset the CPU and RAM usage too much. Also good to hear Zombie AI is being worked on to fix the bugs (wall glitches mainly) and hopefully they get coded a bit better.

I'd like to see them do weekly video's providing us what's going on like what they did. Maybe not as long, but a little like "What's happening this week" sort of thing.

I'd just like to say he's not a first timer editing a video, he just did it in his spare time which people should appreciate, he has 14k subscribers. :p:

Also yeah, I love the development of DayZ SA, many people criticise it but I have nearly 100 hours on Steam which makes me a happy customer; even if there is bugs. This was the best video I've seen so far about the development, Dean Hall is very charismatic and I love how he and the developers (on reddit) interact with the community.

Reaction score
I'd just like to say he's not a first timer editing a video, he just did it in his spare time which people should appreciate, he has 14k subscribers. :p:

Also yeah, I love the development of DayZ SA, many people criticise it but I have nearly 100 hours on Steam which makes me a happy customer; even if there is bugs. This was the best video I've seen so far about the development, Dean Hall is very charismatic and I love how he and the developers (on reddit) interact with the community.

My brain totally ignored the fact he'd other videos ._.

Must agree. Although I don't have the same hour count as my laptop just is lacking too much now to play it, if I could, I'd be upto 100 hours on it by now. I was surprised when I bought not long after it came out (like a week) it had already sold over a hundred thousand copies. The game is catching on whether it's full of bugs or not.

One thing I hope they work on is a better UI and better settings quality. I find the settings to either make no change, or such a dramatic change I have to change back causing me to lag :(: Oh well. Can't wait for the BETA builds!

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
My brain totally ignored the fact he'd other videos ._.

Must agree. Although I don't have the same hour count as my laptop just is lacking too much now to play it, if I could, I'd be upto 100 hours on it by now. I was surprised when I bought not long after it came out (like a week) it had already sold over a hundred thousand copies. The game is catching on whether it's full of bugs or not.

One thing I hope they work on is a better UI and better settings quality. I find the settings to either make no change, or such a dramatic change I have to change back causing me to lag :(: Oh well. Can't wait for the BETA builds!

Beta builds should arrive in early 2015 with the new renderer which will have better optimisation.

"I'm always careful with what I say - 3 year standard development cycle, meaning in standard terms this would be a 3 year, closed development cycle. Early Access changes a lot of that, I don't need to tell you. We are still aiming for end of 2014 to hit our beta phase entry. You can be certain the weekly status reports will keep everyone updated on that.

I recently built my own computer but unfortunately can only play DayZ SA on all low settings.

Reaction score
Continuing the discussion of the DayZ Development, the lastest build v0.49 is out. Contains a bunch of fixes and a few known problems.

Map and spawn changes :

Severograd, and new villages in vicinity

New items :

-Hunting Knife
-Balaclava (different versions)
-Firefighter jacket (different versions)
-Cattle Prod
-Stun Baton
-Telescopic Baton
-MASKA helm
-Medical Thermometer
-RDG-5 Explosive Grenade
-Soviet Officer Hat
-Various spawn table changes

New mechanics :

-New melee hit detection
-Player temperature
-Resuscitation
-Fibrillation
-New events (helicopter crashes, vehicle spawns etc.)
-New door implementation
-Players can now run up and down the stairs
-Zombie variations
-First iteration of central economy.
-Animal navmesh

New animations :

-Digging Animations
-New restrained crouch pose
-New restrained crouch walk
-CPR animations
-New zombie walks, runs, sprints and idle variations
-Ragdoll changes

Fixed :

-Duplication techniques removed
-Shotgun pellets in multiplayer are now working
-Player can no longer take an item in hand while handcuffed
-Various gesture related fixes and polishing
-Raised move with bow in Standing stance and rotations with bow
-Minor polishing for different reloads
-Unintended fishing cancellation by player movement should be reduced
-Wearing raincoat and gorkas now prevents you from soaking from rain
-Clothes drying revisioned
-Berry picking, tree and kindling gathering and worms digging can now be cancelled
-Player gets wet even when only partially submerged in water
-Ruined axe warning message
-Balaclava mask can get wet
-Weather client synchronization
-7.62x39 cartridges have weight
-Rags and sticks are spent when they are in hand before crafting starts
-Allowed swing detection for most melee weapons
-Added sound, music, radio and speech fade in dead state
-Battery licking animation for check battery action
-Various desync issues
-Various server performance issues
-Player can no longer change weapon when in water
-Player collisions adjusted to reduce clipping through walls in various situations
-Fixed an issue where certain gestures would not get called from raised stance
-Fixed footstep sounds in various moves
-Fixed an issue where the player could fall to the ground after performing "Drink All" action
-Fixed an issue where on occasion, one player restraining another would not result in succesful restrained animation on the player being restrained
-Fixed an issue where the player entering water would not get disarmed automatically under certain circumstances

Issues :

-Persistence (Events do not get loaded properly after server restart)
-Persistence (Server state can become corrupted due to grenades stored in containers)
-Melee (When using rapid left click there is a high chance that melee weapon will get switched)
-Broken shadows in some cases
-Zombies are unable to get into some of the buildings.
-Events (bad positioning on spawn, items might spawn below ground, can be seen on inventory screen)

Lots of new items as well! Certainly want to find a working cattle prod >:)
Downloading the update now, wanna check out the update mechanics and animations mostly. I wonder if they'll do a full Zombie AI re-write.. Notice there's still a few bugs lurking with them from videos on YouTube.

Back