Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Launching server under routers

Mythic Archon
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
i have static IP i no need DynDNS or NO IP.

also i check that all ports are openm and they are open

i will try change something in global.ini

but i dont getit why i cant connect if i can login and i see my server on the list and the server status is Normal

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Depending on which version you use, all global.ini in 3 different folders are the same ?

For Mupus release you just need one global.ini, for the other versions you have to copy/paste them in all 3 folders (common/service/zone). And of yourse, on older versions of RoM you need the "patched" switch.exe which allows to go outside.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
With 6.5.2 i have same problem than you.

I was telling for version 6.4.2

Mythic Archon
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
i give up man. looks like this srever dont like me. :p i nevr have any issue with server just simple forward port on router to proper IP where is server and thats all here is like black magick for me.

Thanks to prologe60 now all works like should work from begining, but i had strange problem when i login to server to any account i dont see my character and i can't create new that is strange.

OK all is working like should all is perfect all possible connection with the server are 100% correct. no need Hamachi or any thing like that.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
As you may have noticed, there`s no good way to make RoM server accept clients from external network unless you don`t use routers. Of course, you can use Hamachi or some kind of VPN, but that`s not very convinient. I`ve recompiled Switch and Proxy servers, so that now they listen to 0.0.0.0 IP (so they will accept any client) instead of external ip written in your Global.ini. However, to make client know, where to connect to a switch and a proxy servers, they both send their external IP from global.ini to ServerList, the server list in it`s turn send this info to client.

So, the instrustion to make things work:
  1. Make backups for you Switch.exe and Proxy.exe
  2. Download and extract my files instead of that 2 exe`s ( )
  3. Specify your external IP for SwitchIP_Outside and ProxyIP_Outside fields in Global.ini.
  4. Set ServerListIP_Outside to either 0.0.0.0 or your server`s local IP (192.168.xxx.xxx usualy). It seams like it`s not used for anything except binding the TCP socket.
  5. Make sure your router is configured in a right way. You need all 3 ports (21002, 16401, 16402, all of them are TCP) to be forwarded from any external connection to your server(s)
  6. Make sure your antivirus and firewall are not blocking connections to these ports. You may turn them off, or just "open" ports there.
That`s all with installation. Now you can launch server and anybody should be able to connect.

You can test your ports using services like . You need all of 3 ports to be avaliable for external connection. Also you may use apps like WireShark, capturing connection process should look like your machine connectiong to right external IPs for all of 3 ports. If you see there a target IP = server`s local IP, and dest. port is one of that 3 ports - there`s an error somewhere. Either mine or yours

Note!!!!
*) I can`t say I`ve tested them much. They work for me, but as soon as I`ve recompiled that apps they may contain some errors. I`m not sure at all if I can fix any of them, if there`re any, that`s why you should keep your backups.
*) I don`t realy want to help anyone with configuring particular hardware, unless you`d like to pay for that :w00t:. Just because I don`t know all/any of the your particular hardware`s features, also I`m not an engineer nor a proffesional administrator. As for software problems, you are free to ask, but I have written above the situation.

Can you share the compiled source code?
Because the file you shared doesn't seem to run on version 6.5.2.

Last edited:
Mythic Archon
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Can you share the compiled source code?
Because the file you shared doesn't seem to run on version 6.5.2.

I will be honest with you. if you have files One4All then you can fix this problem alone there is all what you need. Source code for 6.5.2 server side exe and client.exe source code.

Like for me 6.5.2 works perfect (server is behind router and hardware Firewall, and all working like main Server and Battleground Server.)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I will be honest with you. if you have files One4All then you can fix this problem alone there is all what you need. Source code for 6.5.2 server side exe and client.exe source code.

Like for me 6.5.2 works perfect (server is behind router and hardware Firewall, and all working like main Server and Battleground Server.)

How did you fix it? Can you share your source code? I just need the "proxy" and "switch" parts.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
I will be honest with you. if you have files One4All then you can fix this problem alone there is all what you need

No there isn't. The biggest toolbox doesn't do poop if you have no prior knowledge of replacing a transmission once it breaks down on your car. Does someone have actual info on how to set this up? My server is inside a VM and I don't know how to connect.

Mythic Archon
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
No there isn't. The biggest toolbox doesn't do poop if you have no prior knowledge of replacing a transmission once it breaks down on your car. Does someone have actual info on how to set this up? My server is inside a VM and I don't know how to connect.

i have no idea what this have with RoM server.
No there isn't. The biggest toolbox doesn't do poop if you have no prior knowledge of replacing a transmission once it breaks down on your car.

your VM need get IP straight from ROUTER (DHCP), forward proper ports to proper IP, and add this port's in windows firewall (Windows what is on VM)
My server is inside a VM and I don't know how to connect.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
i have no idea what this have with RoM server.

It's an analogy and a fairly obvious one at that. If you have no knowledge of replacing a broken transmission, nor a proper set of instructions for doing so, the tools alone won't help you at all.

forward proper ports to proper IP, and add this port's in windows firewall (Windows what is on VM)

Thanks, that's the info that was needed. According to mageoski, those special proxy and service exe files are not required either, solely the port forwarding. Except for external connections from players outside the router's network, those will require a VPN software like hamachi.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Hamachi is kinda comfortable. You also could just use your IP from your provider, but most private users have dynamic IPs. So after 24h disconnect you have to change the Providers IP in global.ini and runedev.ini. Thats also working if you want to play with friends, but i prefer using hamachi. :D

And yes, there is no need for special files, this was old stuff from the 6.2(?) release where you had to change proxy.exe and switch.exe (afair). This is all fine in Mupu release.

Mythic Archon
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Thanks, that's the info that was needed. According to mageoski, those special proxy and service exe files are not required either, solely the port forwarding. Except for external connections from players outside the router's network, those will require a VPN software like hamachi.

I have proxy.exe and service that i no need use any VPN or any thing (because i have a static IP) so i can use my external IP.
and like i write some times ago server is behind Router and Hardware Firewall and all is perfect. ppl can connect from outside without any problem.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I have proxy.exe and service that i no need use any VPN or any thing (because i have a static IP) so i can use my external IP.
and like i write some times ago server is behind Router and Hardware Firewall and all is perfect. ppl can connect from outside without any problem.

Dear shadow,
can you briefly explain exactly what / where to do in the source code so that you can access it from the outside without a VPN !?

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
I'm running my Rom Server on a VM with Win 2016 Server, i 've never touched the source code to connect to the game through internet. I just put my provider IP in global.ini and runedev.ini on client and thats it. I just run hamachi to not change the IP every 24H.

Also let the ports go throught the firewall and port forward my VM at my fritz box.

Do i miss something here ?

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
And then he goes off being like "the source code has everything that's needed, heh.

I'm running my Rom Server on a VM with Win 2016 Server, i 've never touched the source code to connect to the game through internet. I just put my provider IP in global.ini and runedev.ini on client and thats it. I just run hamachi to not change the IP every 24H.

Also let the ports go throught the firewall and port forward my VM at my fritz box.

Do i miss something here ?

TBF this is a much simpler solution, albeit requiring the use of third party software like hamachi.

Back