Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Fatal Error: SerializedReadOpen:

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Heya Folks:
so I get this error when I try to go ground side on Memory Alpha.

Fatal Error SerializeReadOpen: invalid signature on file bin/geobbin/Maps/Planets/KFR_Memory_Alpha_Ground/Kfr_Memory_Alpha_Ground.Zone/Terrain_poir_2_deps.bin

I've gotten this error on two different releases. the DNC repack and the NESS199X "unzip and go" repack.

I totally get that this is an 85% working release. if this is part of that 15% that does not work It's good cuz there's other content to play with.
But if there's a fix, like recompiling the code or something then I'm good with that too.

it's just funny that both releases have this same error.

oh it totally crashes the client. forgot that part

Later,
D_H

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't know if either of those 2 packages have the ability to "makebinsandexit" aka Re-bin the files.
If so, you could delete bin/geobbin/Maps/Planets/KFR_Memory_Alpha_Ground/Kfr_Memory_Alpha_Ground.Zone/Terrain_poir_2_deps.bin
Re-bin the files and validate the file was "re-created". I expect, that if re-binning is functioning as expected, the file would be re-created.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
ok trying to rebin. I hope that you mean just running the 2_rebinandexit batch job. I've let it run twice now and it's failed both times. But I'm not done yet. new machine gonna try again. prollem is it fails after about 10hours of compiling. So it's difficult to report back. I can tell you it fails on the 236th bin of 1140 or so. :)
I'm hoping that a better machine will get past this. my next trick will be to pull my Video card from the desktop and put it into my files server and bin there. lots O" Power.. in my experience Developers solution is to throw hardware at a problem. I'm like... maybe streamline your code a little and it wont need a 32 core server with 256GB of ram.
I'll submit a follow-up report in about 10 hours. :)

D_H

ok new machine running much better. bins up to 240 of 1142. so I'm past the 236 bin mark.

Happy happy joy joy!

Reactions: DNC
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
ok so I have 2 MCPDynamicSettings files. not sure which would be the development one. One is named MCPDynamicSettings.txt the other is MCPDynamicSettings_BackupDoNotremove.txt

this last line is the only difference: MCPDynamicsettings.txt
}
Globalcommandline "-englishOnly -SetProductName StarTrek ST -ShardName Live -MTCategory Live -ShardCategory Live -SetErrorTracker code -SetTicketTracker code -SetAccountServer code -SetLoginServer code -GameServer code_game_server -SetGameServer code_game_server -SetChatServer code -SetChatRelayServer code -SetGlobalChatServer code -ChatServer code -ChatRelayServer code -SetChatRelay code -ChatRelay code -SetLogServer code -SetTransactionServer code -LogServer code -TransactionServer code -Controller code -productionMode 1"
Servertypeconfig all
}

_backupDoNotremove.txt

}
Globalcommandline "-englishOnly -SetProductName StarTrek ST -ShardName Live -MTCategory Live -ShardCategory Live -productionMode 1"
Servertypeconfig all
}

Neither one of these strike me as being the Development file. I've checked the other build I have and there doesn't seem to be a file with this name.
any Ideas which is the correct one?

thanks in advance.
D_H

----
Loyal Member
Reaction score
All i can provide is the files are in the thread... STO is not my priority now; all i can give now is the files in the thread...

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thanks Flyer8472, if Ness199X doesn't have the correct file (assuming the ones I have are not correct) I'll figure something out. I have a working server and as I said there's still plenty of content to mess with. I am trying both of the files I have now. we'll see if I get any further. also I noticed that if the re-bin fails and I start the process again it gets a little farther each time. so maybe if the software gods smile on me and in a few weeks I actually complete the process... Just maybe it'll work and I can go about my life like normal.
on a side note I'd like the thank whoever setup the Girl in the Star Trek uniform as a Splash screen.. I love Girls, and I like Star trek. it's a treat to have my 2 favorite things at the same time.
Cheers!
D_H

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I did that due to seeing the same boring loading screen over n over. ;0)

it's Brilliant! Cheers!

I should have asked this question a bit before I started messing around with these files. But what does it mean to "Bin" or "Re-Bin" the server? I mean what are these bin files and what are they for.. I'm sure its some sort of graphic file but not sure where they come from and how they're used.

Thanks!

D_H

Reaction score
You can look at the NW thread to get an idea of the process.
But it is the makebinsandexit bat files creating .bin files from the resources in the data\* folder(s).
Afterward you'd create hogg files for the client.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
All i can provide is the files are in the thread... STO is not my priority now; all i can give now is the files in the thread...
hey Flyer8472 do you still have access to the original code from DNC? The repack post mentions DNC's code. or is it available from somewhere?
I've re-Bind the server twice now and the particular file is not re-created. I will try to move the files it Does recreate into my server.. maybe the error is a symptom of other files being "screwey"...
I am sorry I didnt' come across this project earlier and I realize most folks have moved on, I'm just trying to pickup what ever I can to see what I can do to continue / help in development.

Later,
Thanks
D_H

----
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I have them but i cannot upload it to anywhere it is waaay too big to upload that huge datacluster, so sorry currently i dont have the time - or - resource for that...

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
This issue is resolved.
I had assumed due to the error I received that it was a server file issue. I was incorrect. After doing a little searching, I found that there are a few other posts regarding similar errors, maybe not the same file but similar just the same. most were fixed by deleting CLIENT files. I also noticed that during the re-bin process 2 dos screens popup on labeled Cbin and one labeled Sbin, I figured it must be rebinning both Client and Server files. I found the new client files and over wrote the old ones, tested and frankly I was Shocked that it worked.

Resolution rebin client files and copy over the old hogg's.

Thanks for the feed back and assistance.
D_H

Back