Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Release] How to get drop data for any version

Reaction score
So this is a neat little trick, not sure who told me about it a while ago (I believe it was Hendi) but since it's probably already known to some people I thought why not share it with the community.

I'm not sure if the latest MapleStory version contains Monster Book, so please let me know. Regardless, this trick will work for any version that does contain Monster Book so you can theoretically use it on a private server.

Basically, what we're doing is using the drop data provided from the Monster Book to dump it to our server's format.

I didn't do this for a long time, but it could work for you if you're doing things right.

1. Sniff Monster Book drop packets for every mob using MapleShark.
Back in the day there was a packet editor that let you use scripts (can't recall the name). I basically created a script that uses a list of mob IDs for the version I wanted, and sent the Monster Book drop request packet with every mob ID and logged the returned packet using MapleShark.

2. Use the tool provided to parse the packets.
Load the MapleShark Binary File (.msb) using the tool. Be sure to update the opcode for the packets matching your version.

3. Parse the data
The tool will generate a SQL file with the drop data you provided to use for your server.

- Maple Drop Provider.

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure if I understand

Can't you just grab the authentic drop data by going to string.wz > Monsterbook? There there's a reward node that shows the drops that normally show when you unlock 5 cards on a monster. This is client sided.

That's what I have used for years to get drops for any mob that uses mob book. Not sure what's different using that than using this packet method.

Reaction score
Not sure if I understand

Can't you just grab the authentic drop data by going to string.wz > Monsterbook? There there's a reward node that shows the drops that normally show when you unlock 5 cards on a monster. This is client sided.

That's what I have used for years to get drops for any mob that uses mob book. Not sure what's different using that than using this packet method.

That was the method that worked until Neckson revamped Monster Book. Not sure until which version, though. They changed it to server side where the client requests the list of drops.

Staff member
Reaction score
That was the method that worked until Neckson revamped Monster Book. Not sure until which version, though. They changed it to server side where the client requests the list of drops.

Ah, wasn't aware they changed it that much. I assume a bit after big bang when they re-introduced mob books. Good to know, thanks!

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
This only accounts for some drops. There are still drops that don't appear on monster book but dropped anyways. Things like Dark Angelic ring recipe from Zakum, etc...

Reaction score
This only accounts for some drops. There are still drops that don't appear on monster book but dropped anyways. Things like Dark Angelic ring recipe from Zakum, etc...

True, forgot to mention that. It seems like GMS doesn't fetch the actual drop data but they have another database for it.

If you use it on a private server that has it implemented though, I'm pretty sure they will fetch it from the original database.

Back