Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

MapleStory v62 on Linux (wine)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
If for some reason you decide to copy/pasta to some other forum, then at least have the decency to link it back to this forum/thread. That would be much appreciated. (Unless of course this forum/thread is no longer here, then I don't care)

So before I start note that this is only a private server v62, and I have yet (and probably won't) try to do this for anything else... <note> I may try on higher versions of maplestory, but only private servers </note>

Okay so after hours upon hours of endless research, I have successfully gotten Maplestory v62 to work on wine.

Of course it is based on this guide, but he isn't very descriptive on how to make it work.

So for anyone planning on doing this, let's start:

Step 1: INSTALLING WINE (I use Arch Linux, you can do it however this translates into your distro)
I use the terminal, because I like my errors and what not.
Code:
[user@user ~] $ sudo pacman -S wine winetricks (use your package manager in place with pacman)

Step 2: INSTALLING DLL's
Once wine and winetricks are done installing, do one of two things. 1) If you run 64-bit linux
Code:
[user@user ~] $ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine winecfg
2) if you run 32-bit linux just run
Code:
[user@user ~] $ winecfg
Now once that is done creating your wine prefix run
Code:
[user@user ~] $ winetricks
Inside winetricks select these: Select the default wine prefix->Install a Windows DLL or component. Now in this list check these:

<note> I was lazy when I did this and didn't want to test, and don't really care so I selected multiple d3dx's, I may go back and see which ones I need though</note>
d3dx11_42
d3dx11_43
d3dx9_26
d3dx9_28
d3dx9_31
d3dx9_35
d3dx9_39
d3dx9_42
d3dx9_43
dotnet20 (I had to personally download this, not sure if you will. So winetricks will open a browser and tell you to download this and put it in a folder)
mono210

This all should take a little bit, but not too long.

Step 3: Fill in DLL's
Not sure if the dude's forum thread will still be up in the future so I uploaded the 2 dll's you need to mediafire <note> no matter how old this topic gets, message me and I will help out, but make sure you title the email MAPLESTORY HELP! </note>

FOR ws2_32.dll
FOR ws2help.dll

Copy both of these to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/ or /home/yourusername/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/

Step 4: Back to winecfg
Now that we are done with that, go back to winecfg with this
Code:
[user@user ~] $ winecfg
and change the "Windows Version" to 98, click apply and then ok.

Step 5: Point your terminal to your Maplestory directory <note> it doesn't have to be installed in linux, you just need a Maplestory folder with all the necessary files </note> You can do this with a
Code:
[user@user ~] $ cd [I]/your/Maplestory/directory/here[/I]

So currently it's a little buggy or so I might end up joining the wine developers or whatever it's called so I can try and make it run as smooth as possible.

I will also update once I test with different Maplestory versions

Last edited:
Back