Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

(v0.62) Monsterbooks

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

I would request help in regards of client cracking. It is known for long time that Nexon put unreleased data in client versions before official release. Example, v0.56 has pirates while it got released in v0.62 officially.

Something what I am 90% sure of as well is that v0.62 also has Monsterbooks already fully working, while it got released in v0.67. Monsterbooks is one of my most favorite features from post v0.62 and I would like to find a way to implement it in our server.

Here's some facts about Monsterbook and its data in v0.62:

-The .wz data for all Monsterbook data (mob data, the book itself, etc) exists since v0.56 in Korean, similar as Pirates.

-The client strings for Monsterbooks exist since v0.56 as well and are in English, including the Monsterbook buff items, which are also in English, including all cards, which are also in English.
-Since v0.56 there's an "unused" keyconfig button in the keyconfigs called "MonsterBook", which does nothing because its either disabled or not working yet (Default letter/key B)

-Packet data for Monsterbook exist in v0.62, no proof for older versions (ex: 0.56), but most likely.
-All cards themselves exist, as well as the description of the buff they give.

While we are able to get the said packets to work (Picture for example: ) we have trouble with one thing: the client part that opens the book, which we assume has been disabled rather than not existing at all.

Seeing every server uses the default Maple clients (besides whatever protection removed), I am unsure how experience people are in client cracking. However, my guess would be that the Monsterbook feature has been client-disabled with a switch or something, because this is Nexon after all.

Do anyone have any idea maybe or may want see if there's a way to "unlock" it? I am very sure opening the book is 100% client sided and there's no packet for it (we checked before!).

Full 0.62 in zip:

Last edited:
Staff member
Reaction score
Eric

So it seems like this one time I was lucky, and I took another full day looking into the problem, since it seems I still get the close window = crash problem. However, this time I thought it was an OS (compatibility) issue, or my files were too modified. So I took a whole day playing with files and came in conclusion the problem is completely random.

So there seems to be a pattern of 3 problems, which happen random. They are from my conclusion of 50 client openings the following:

1) The Monsterbook window opens fine, closes fine, but if you do it continuously and then open a panel, it crashes (Best result)
2) The Monsterbook opens and you can navigate fine, but if you close it (any way), it crashes
3) The Monsterbook crashes immediately

There's absolutely no difference in files or anything in the following 3 recorded videos, but the above 3 all happens.

So yeah, RNG based errors. That's really annoying.

Also, the client hang extremely nasty. If you're on Windows 10 and full screen you are pretty much forced to reboot (or log off) since its impossible to close the client. For Vista, I have to force end the game since the client just hangs, and doesn't crash.

Files were on a clean v62 and a "clean" localhost.

This is more a status update than anything, since I know you look more into it. However, could it also be possible the reason the crashing is full random is because of uncoded stuff? Like, sometimes the client try load random garbage data instead of empty and crashes?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I'd say monster book is internally coded just fine, but since it wasn't ready to be publicly released they obviously left out a few things which are needed and you're unable to fully emulate them. You got it to open, but other handles or calls could still be missing that are unknown. Even the littlest thing could change it completely.

Upvote 0
Staff member
Reaction score
An update.

We've got the Monsterbook UI to work with the use of the hotkey (B) , although only by using a .CT/Memory Editor, so not from the client default. Thanks to someone that has contributed this to us. With this method you can open AND close it. Basically like the newer versions.

From there we pretty much figured out that also that way the client crashes a lot, and its as inconsistent as Eric's Party Finder way, so we can pretty much conclude that Eric's way is 100% working but the MB UI itself is very unstable.

Unfortunately because of these crashes locking the game completely (Black screen that stays black until you force shut the game) its still stopping us from actually putting time in coding it, since if you play the game on full screen and it crashes like this on W7+ you have to pretty much restart your PC or find a way to force shut down the game. Basically, not something you want give to your users.

Therefor I want put a 'thank you' reward for anyone that can figure out a way to stop the client from crashing. If anyone can find a way that make the client stop crashing completely, and making us be able to fully add MonsterBooks within the v62 client, I will put a reward up for $100 , which will be given from Paypal.

The crashes are found in the following videos:

The crashes are not 100% consistent and sometimes it doesn't crash, and sometimes it does. The fact its so inconsistent make this very annoying. But everytime it does crash it lock the game up completely, it won't kick you back to desktop.

Do anyone know in v75/v83 if MB is uncoded if it has similar crash issues? Of course we haven't really spend time coding the actual thing yet because we can't get the UI to not crash and do not want waste too much on our limited time if it end up being a waste. If it also crashes in v75/v83 if MB is uncoded then maybe these are the reasons, but I doubt it.

I know I am making a big deal out of it, but MB is one, if not my favourite feature from post v62.

EDIT: If you need a v62 Localhost with MB enabled (probably from Party search) let me know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't understand how his post doesn't answer it. Yes, its for my server, the one he did name. I don't want to advertise nor is it even on-topic to begin with. If that answer isn't what you are looking for then be more specific what you mean.

Upvote 0
Reaction score
I don't understand how his post doesn't answer it. Yes, its for my server, the one he did name. I don't want to advertise nor is it even on-topic to begin with. If that answer isn't what you are looking for then be more specific what you mean.

Yes, he did answer it. You, however, didn't get my question for some reason even though I clearly asked what server. MapleLegends - okay. I see.

Upvote 0
Staff member
Reaction score

Made the B button (aka Monter Book button) worked but still buggy. Maybe will try to figure it out tmr xP

Hehe, nice. Yep, the 'still buggy' is the crash issues I've talked about in this topic. That's the part we are stuck at unfortunately. If the crash issues were 100% consistent we could figure it out (supposely) much easier, but sometimes it crash, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes everything is just fine :x

Did you do it directly from the client or used a memory editor? If directly from client its probably the best way we've got so far.

Yes, he did answer it. You, however, didn't get my question for some reason even though I clearly asked what server. MapleLegends - okay. I see.

I'm sorry I just am not a fan of mentioning server names outside of the server advertisement section, seeing a lot see this also as either advertising or promoting, which is something I do not aim to do here (besides the proper section to do so). Its also the reason why I've removed the server from my sig awhile back.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Did you do it directly from the client or used a memory editor? If directly from client its probably the best way we've got so far.
I used memory editor. Nexon removed MonsterBook completely from UI_Open function so we can't open it w/o some hacks in the client xP

Upvote 0
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
And nooooow? :D

Oops. Forget to update my progess. Here is what i have done so far.
39JcaNQ - (v0.62) Monsterbooks - RaGEZONE Forums

Found out what cause the client keep crashing is CUIMonsterBook::DrawSelectLayer. Nop that function and the MonsterBook will not crash anymore. But idk what will happen if the MonsterBook filled with the cards.

P/s: Looking for a test server with some MonsterBook packets to test xD

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Upvote 0
Staff member
Reaction score
Found out what cause the client keep crashing is CUIMonsterBook::DrawSelectLayer. Nop that function and the MonsterBook will not crash anymore. But idk what will happen if the MonsterBook filled with the cards.

If you can PM or post here the address you did NOP I can test it. The only packet I have working right now is the card itself due to not wanting to waste our limited time on something not working, so I can test it for you. Here's an SS. Would that be enough?

hOOCySZ - (v0.62) Monsterbooks - RaGEZONE Forums

Right now it won't save or anything and it only displays 1 level max, but it will display the mob and multiple cards as well.

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back