Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

WZ Harepacker traces.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hey I'm using a maplestory version of 140+ & harepacker 4.2.4 latest one I could find.

I've come to find a server which detects some kind of traces left by harepacker after it saves, the reason I know this is because I'll open a clean wz file and open it in harepacker, not make any edits at all (do absolutely nothing to it) and save it as its (supposed to be clean) self.

I'll use it and it'll be detected, even though I've made no changes to it, I simply opened it in harepacker and saved it.

So that leaves me to think that harepacker does something to the file while its being opened or saved...
Is this true ? and how would I be able to prevent this ? I've already searched through the files to compare differences in size, date of creation and so, nothing is different...

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
You are right, CRC & MD5 & SHA1 checksum values were changed...

CRC or MD5 checksum values being different isn't the problem because I took the clean wz file and changed both those values using a program which changes them and ran the servers client and it did not detect any "wz" changes.

I cannot find a SHA1 value changer, however I checked the SHA1 values on the clean file and the one which I changed CRC & MD5 values and found that the SHA1 is different.

SHA1 isn't something the client of this server checks for, or at least its not what causes the wz file modified message...

Is there anyway to check exactly what harepacker modifies as it saves the wz file ?
Its very odd...

Any more ideas ? something which is left behind from hare is being detected by the servers client
JellyIsHawt - Harepacker traces. - RaGEZONE Forums

Also, whatever changed in the file to have changed the CRC, MD5 & SHA1, I don't know that's what I'm trying to figure out

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
You are right, CRC & MD5 & SHA1 checksum values were changed...
CRC or MD5 checksum values being different isn't the problem because I took the clean wz file and changed both those values using a program which changes them and ran the servers client and it did not detect any "wz" changes.
There are lots of values a file has for properties too. Data may not have changed, but you have things like timestamps of when the file was created/edited, version numbers, descriptions. Things like that. If you're afraid HaRepacker is doing dangerous things to your wz, try some older versions of it to see if it does the same things. I'm pretty sure it's just timestamps changing lmao...
I cannot find a SHA1 value changer, however I checked the SHA1 values on the clean file and the one which I changed CRC & MD5 values and found that the SHA1 is different.

SHA1 isn't something the client of this server checks for, or at least its not what causes the wz file modified message...

Is there anyway to check exactly what harepacker modifies as it saves the wz file ?
Its very odd...

Any more ideas ? something which is left behind from hare is being detected by the servers client
JellyIsHawt - Harepacker traces. - RaGEZONE Forums

Also, whatever changed in the file to have changed the CRC, MD5 & SHA1, I don't know that's what I'm trying to figure out
The data the WZ file contains isn't all that would affect things like the CRC value. There are things like timestamps for when a file was created/edited, descriptions, and version numbers. Something like that might have changed. Try one of the older HaRepackers if you're concerned about things like that.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Exactly, the first thing I did before coming here for help was to check the properties to see what values has changed

The creation time, the edited time and all that were changed, I downloaded a program to set them to the same exact times, all the way down to the seconds, I also got the file size to be exact like the clean file.

There was even some security/permission changes which were changed, at first I tried removing the add-ons so it would be the same as the clean file but I had to go further and do some research on inheriting permissions from parent files.

Turns out it was as easy as moving all the files from the original folder to a new and then I was able to change security/permissions..

Unfortunately for me, it still didn't work.. I also tried using a old harepacker version as you suggested, still had the same problem

The error I get when it detects differences is "wz file was found as being invalid (x.wz)" x being whatever wz file I saved (unedited) with harepacker

I decided to search that error on google and came up with a thread from another forum titled "Does Harepacker still work for EMS now?"
and the what thread started wrote was

"Recently i just downloaded Harepacker , but after editing and saving the wz files and start my maple , they gave me and error saying a wz file was found as being invalid ."

That's not much info, but what I can gather from that is, the server may be using GMS hackshield to detect changes in wz files ?

EDIT: I forgot to mention none of the changes in properties causes a detection because I've tested it

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
The server is not detecting any 'traces' left behind HaRepacker. They are either providing the files themselves modified with a special header that HaRepacker is not re-creating when you are saving it, or they are checking other things like the hash of the file.

There is no way around it without knowing how they are detecting it. If the server uses a client you can try to reverse engineer it and find out how they are checking for modified files. The most common method is a hash of the file, if you modify it in any way, it gets changed. This can be as simple as opening it and saving it as HaRepacker does not just 'save', it recreates the entire file. So it will not match the hash they have on record for the file.

Upvote 0
Back