Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Release] GSL clone without modding restrictions

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
The original GSL has some restrictions on files that can be modded, it would, on purpose, restrict modding to only the following files/folders:

- material
- model (but the dll blocked paths starting by "models/player/_anim" )
- sound
- maps
- scripts/body_layer.txt, scripts/face_layer.txt, and scripts/player_costume.txt (any other file from scripts was blocked)

This clone doesn't have any of those restrictions. It was built by reversing the original of Checkbox (so any credits for original dll go for him).
Of course, this is NOT for official servers, it will be detected there.

(Note: unlike the original, the clone will not work if the exe name is not vindictus.exe or heroes.exe, that was lazy programming of mine)

Link to DLL:
Link to source code:

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Updated the file. Bsp files in data/maps folder would give an error, because the game opens those kind of files with the "p" flag, which forces the game to reject files outside a package. The new dll removes the p flag if the file exists in data (bsp modding in data/maps now works).

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hey Vinplayer anychance I could grab the source for this I wanna see if theres a way I can incorporate it into a launcher for the game.

Thanks
Nakashima :)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Sure. I added now the source code as separate link.

The source code is to be compiled with mingw32. By default, it compiles in "release mode", where the debug strings aren't shown anywhere. You can change that in the Makefile (release_static -> debug_static) and use the DebugView program if you want to have a log of all the paths the game tries to access.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Getting error 0xc0000005 in w7 however the 2013 version works, you still have the source code of the unmodified dll?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I get an error with the updated version as well.
tz821mM - [Release] GSL clone without modding restrictions - RaGEZONE Forums

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Fixed by disabling DEP for Vindictus.exe.
PaMYrA5 - [Release] GSL clone without modding restrictions - RaGEZONE Forums

Thanks alot for this; finally got rid of halloween town on my US client.

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
The original GSL has some restrictions on files that can be modded, it would, on purpose, restrict modding to only the following files/folders:

- material
- model (but the dll blocked paths starting by "models/player/_anim" )
- sound
- maps
- scripts/body_layer.txt, scripts/face_layer.txt, and scripts/player_costume.txt (any other file from scripts was blocked)

This clone doesn't have any of those restrictions. It was built by reversing the original of Checkbox (so any credits for original dll go for him).
Of course, this is NOT for official servers, it will be detected there.

(Note: unlike the original, the clone will not work if the exe name is not vindictus.exe or heroes.exe, that was lazy programming of mine)

Link to DLL:
Link to source code:

Got to say that's not working for me at least ... tried on Client EU 1.69 and TW client. both exe's name is vindictus.exe. I've paste winnsi.dll to vindictus main directory. Made new folder called sqlite with heroes.db3 in it (I've extracted it from the same client but changed link to EndPoint to get server list) but for some reason dll is not injecting cuz I'm not receiving list so it mean's that dont work. System Windows 10 Pro.

Last edited:
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
What system do you compile the source on? I've been using mingw32 & msys w/ Windows 10 x64 and ran into some issues.

make
gcc -Wall -I. -std=gnu99 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O2 -masm=intel -nostartfiles -ffreestanding -shared -s -Wl,--subsystem,windows,--kill-at -static -O2 -c -o main.o main.c
gcc -Wall -I. -std=gnu99 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O2 -masm=intel -nostartfiles -ffreestanding -shared -s -Wl,--subsystem,windows,--kill-at -static -O2 -L. -L. -o winnsi.dll main.o -lstdc++ -lws2_32
ertr000001.o:(.rdata+0x0): undefined reference to `_pei386_runtime_relocator'
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [winnsi.dll] Error 1

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
What system do you compile the source on? I've been using mingw32 & msys w/ Windows 10 x64 and ran into some issues.

make
gcc -Wall -I. -std=gnu99 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O2 -masm=intel -nostartfiles -ffreestanding -shared -s -Wl,--subsystem,windows,--kill-at -static -O2 -c -o main.o main.c
gcc -Wall -I. -std=gnu99 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O2 -masm=intel -nostartfiles -ffreestanding -shared -s -Wl,--subsystem,windows,--kill-at -static -O2 -L. -L. -o winnsi.dll main.o -lstdc++ -lws2_32
ertr000001.o:(.rdata+0x0): undefined reference to `_pei386_runtime_relocator'
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [winnsi.dll] Error 1

Some of the info output bu gcc -v:

Target: i686-w64-mingw32 (this is, the compiler itself is 64 bits, but it generates 32 bits programs)
gcc version 4.7.3 (rubenvb-4.7.4-release)

The version is a bit old for now and I installed it a lot of years ago, so I am unsure about where I downloaded it back then, but it is probably one of these:

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Got to say that's not working for me at least ... tried on Client EU 1.69 and TW client. both exe's name is vindictus.exe. I've paste winnsi.dll to vindictus main directory. Made new folder called sqlite with heroes.db3 in it (I've extracted it from the same client but changed link to EndPoint to get server list) but for some reason dll is not injecting cuz I'm not receiving list so it mean's that dont work. System Windows 10 Pro.
All the new files need to go in data folder. So the location for heroes.db is data\sqlite.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Some of the info output bu gcc -v:

Target: i686-w64-mingw32 (this is, the compiler itself is 64 bits, but it generates 32 bits programs)
gcc version 4.7.3 (rubenvb-4.7.4-release)

The version is a bit old for now and I installed it a lot of years ago, so I am unsure about where I downloaded it back then, but it is probably one of these:

This is exactly what I needed, thanks

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
hi Vinplayer
there is a new female character called miri
will you update GGH for official servers?:love:

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to get custom maps working? I'm not talking about swapping one Vindictus map renamed to another, but actual Source maps from other games.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Me not, but I can edit town maps with this:

For example you can remove colhen dogs or place a spawner and turn colhen into a battle map. You can also switch neamhain with another npc in her title screen.
Valve hammer editor would be superior but I can't get it to work.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm trying to swap Hagie's body/face with Lann or Hurk's body/face. I feel like I should be able to do this in playercostume.txt, no? Just change the directories for Hagie's body/face with the ones for Lann or Hurk?

Yeah, I don't know why I can't seem to get this to work. I've tried swapping around various inner armor models in playercostume.txt but I've had no success. I have the dll in the main Vindictus folder and I have the data folder structured appropriately. Vindictus.exe is named as such.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
tinyupload seems to be broken, can you upload it one more time? thanks

PS: the server is back up i think, but i see that i still can't change npc portrait, is it still unable to read the npc portrait folder?

Last edited:
Back