Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Release] GSL clone without modding restrictions

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm trying to swap Hagie's body/face with Lann or Hurk's body/face. I feel like I should be able to do this in playercostume.txt, no? Just change the directories for Hagie's body/face with the ones for Lann or Hurk?

Yeah, I don't know why I can't seem to get this to work. I've tried swapping around various inner armor models in playercostume.txt but I've had no success. I have the dll in the main Vindictus folder and I have the data folder structured appropriately. Vindictus.exe is named as such.
That's because it's not client sided. Faces/bodies are stored on the MSSQL server (if memory serves right, it's in the 'Costume' table)

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
That's because it's not client sided. Faces/bodies are stored on the MSSQL server (if memory serves right, it's in the 'Costume' table)

It's actually a windows 10 issue. For some reason in order to get the dll to hook, I have to boot twice.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
rebooting the game twice or rebooting pc twice??

PS:nvm.. i thought it was for my question

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Having some issues getting anything in "resource/localized_text" to replace. I've tried editing text lines in both "resource/localized_text/english" as well as "resource/localized_text/english_eu". Changes are not applied in game even though I have everything placed in the right folders. I'm certain I'm editing the correct text because it is displayed in the XML very clearly which line to edit-- and that line matches the in game line.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Having some issues getting anything in "resource/localized_text" to replace. I've tried editing text lines in both "resource/localized_text/english" as well as "resource/localized_text/english_eu". Changes are not applied in game even though I have everything placed in the right folders. I'm certain I'm editing the correct text because it is displayed in the XML very clearly which line to edit-- and that line matches the in game line.

You don't need any sort of hack like GGH or GSL to do text edits, FYI; every client I've worked with has prioritized loading localized_text files from the local filesystem over loading from the HFS. (I don't know why it does that, but it does!)

Two things you might be doing wrong: first, make sure you're putting the new text in the correct folder for the locale you're running the client with. If you're using en-EU, then "english_eu" should be the right place. If you're using zh-TW, you need to put the text in the "taiwan" subdir. (To find the correct path for other locales, look at the FeatureMatrix table in heroes.db3: the row is called NPCTalkStringAutomatic) So your new text file should be located at "resource/localized_text/[STRING]/heroes_text_[STRING].txt". For en-EU, this resolves to "resource/localized_text/english_eu/heroes_text_english_eu.txt"; zh-TW resolves to "resource/localized_text/taiwan/heroes_text_taiwan.txt", etc.

The other thing is to make sure you're NOT putting the resource folder in the data folder. It should be in the same directory as the executable. (Again, you don't need to use GSL to load localized text, so best to remove it as a possible failure point.)

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
You don't need any sort of hack like GGH or GSL to do text edits, FYI; every client I've worked with has prioritized loading localized_text files from the local filesystem over loading from the HFS. (I don't know why it does that, but it does!)

Two things you might be doing wrong: first, make sure you're putting the new text in the correct folder for the locale you're running the client with. If you're using en-EU, then "english_eu" should be the right place. If you're using zh-TW, you need to put the text in the "taiwan" subdir. (To find the correct path for other locales, look at the FeatureMatrix table in heroes.db3: the row is called NPCTalkStringAutomatic) So your new text file should be located at "resource/localized_text/[STRING]/heroes_text_[STRING].txt". For en-EU, this resolves to "resource/localized_text/english_eu/heroes_text_english_eu.txt"; zh-TW resolves to "resource/localized_text/taiwan/heroes_text_taiwan.txt", etc.

The other thing is to make sure you're NOT putting the resource folder in the data folder. It should be in the same directory as the executable. (Again, you don't need to use GSL to load localized text, so best to remove it as a possible failure point.)

Pretty sure this is my problem right here... I'll test and get back to you-- I was doing everything else properly it seems

EDIT: Yep, solved it!

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'm using windows 10 and the dll doesn't seem to work here (even with injection)
do I have to make file from the source to make it work ?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi! I'm using windows 10 and could not make this work either. So, I made a new version that overrides nexon_api.dll instead, working just fine. Here it is, if anyone needs it:

Rename your original nexon_api.dll to nexon_api.original.dll. Remember that this is not meant to be used on the official servers.

Last edited:
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Hi! I'm using windows 10 and could not make this work either. So, I made a new version that overrides nexon_api.dll instead, working just fine. Here it is, if anyone needs it:
Rename your original nexon_api.dll to nexon_api.original.dll. Remember that this is not meant to be used on the official servers.

Oh really? So I don't need to use PerX.exe anymore? Do I need to use this in conjunction with the winnsi.dll?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Nope! It hooks nexon_api.dll instead of winnsi.dll. I've even removed it from the game's folder.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Nope! It hooks nexon_api.dll instead of winnsi.dll. I've even removed it from the game's folder.
Very cool. Might be worthwhile to have your own thread for that-- would be plenty beneficial for windows 10 users.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Mirror (for vinplayer's winnsi):

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
It's worked before, but now the nexon_api.dll file doesn't seem to work anymore on Awakened Vindictus's servers. Are there any other ways to get mods to work?

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
does anyone know if there's a working mod for private servers too? I'm trying to get it to work for the 'windictus' private server, but there doesnt seem to be a file path at all to the model textures.

Back