Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Tutorial] Bypass UpToDateInfo2.dat

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I was poking around in Vindictus.exe thinking it wouldn't make a difference, and figured this out.
This has to be the stupidest workaround ever. Here's how to do it:

Use a hex editor, open Vindictus.exe and do a search for %s\bin\%s
Change that to %s\crc\%s (or whatever else fits into 3 letters) then save.
Have a valid uptodateinfo2 and bin folder. Rename the bin folder to "crc" (or whatever you used above).
You can then use whatever you like as the bin folder.
The game will compare uptodateinfo2.dat to the "crc" folder, but use the bin folder for the actual game.

Confirmed that it works. I edited client.dll to reroute to modded scripts.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Lol wow good work
Do you think this can be applied to hfs modding some way?
Really want to edit enhance glow colors Q^Q

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I already just did that. Here's how:
Unpack and edit enhance_effect.txt (disable all glow) and put it in Vindictus/Script_/
Edit client.dll and search for scripts/enhance_effect.txt
Change that to script_/enhance_effect.txt
Profit.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I already just did that. Here's how:
Unpack and edit enhance_effect.txt (disable all glow) and put it in Vindictus/Script_/
Edit client.dll and search for scripts/enhance_effect.txt
Change that to script_/enhance_effect.txt
Profit.

Much thanks Patchouli, just to clarify...
1.So I unpack hfs, make edits in enhance txt, make a folder in en-US main folder called "scripts_"
2. Put edited txt into scripts_ folder and dont touch the specific hfs from hfs folder?
Or should I repack with dummy.txt. or should I just erase that hfs(not sure if it would load tho that way)
3.edit client dll

However I dont know how to edit dll files. Is there a tool for it or notepad edit works?

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Folder name is script_/
because it needs to be the same number of letters as scripts/ which you will edit in the client.dll
You can't change the size of client.dll or it won't work. That's why you use the same number of letters.
Don't erase the HFS. It's just telling the client.dll to look in script_/ for enhance_effect.txt

Use a hex editor. Notepad doesn't save stuff in its original state, as far as I know.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
does this works with heroes.db3? the only .dll that says something about that file is engine.dll. I put sqlit_/heroes.db3 instead of sqlite/heroes.db3. Then tried to put the file in these folders:

/sqlit_/
/scripts/sqlit_/
/bin/sqlit_/
/bin/scripts/sqlit_/

But all I get is "cannot open db3 file". It's not my db3 fault since the same error happens with an untouched one. If I put the original engine.dll the game starts with the hfs db3.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I put it in Vindictus/sql/heroes.db3 and it works.
I still have the database HFS in the HFS folder, but it's clearly using my newer one.
I just added some new items earlier, didn't reHFS, and the items show up, so I know it's working.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Does this let you use edited motion.txt files (e.g. pc_evy_staff_magic_motion.txt)? I can't find any references to their path in client.dll.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I haven't figured that out yet. Been trying to get it working.

It seems you can't have anything else opening heroes.db3 or Vindictus can't read it.
So I guess it'd be easiest to put the database in another location for editing and then copy that into the Vindictus/sql or whatever folder.
That way you don't have to keep closing your database editors.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
fixed by changing sqlite/heroes.db3 into ../heroes.db3, not sure why it works and not the other way but now I have the db3 next to the exe so its cool. And forgot to say, thanks for the guide.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
fixed by changing sqlite/heroes.db3 into ../heroes.db3, not sure why it works and not the other way but now I have the db3 next to the exe so its cool. And forgot to say, thanks for the guide.

doesn't that change file size? the game doesn't start if dll size changes

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Use hex mode and edit it so that it doesn't change the file size. You can use 00 bytes for the leftover space.

It still says that I need to re-install game. Doesn't help, I try to use v1.69 client, but even your doesnt help

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
for someone who is not getting it right
I assume you have a bin folder, as the original, and a crc folder for the modified Vindictus.exe
you're gonna want to use a hex editor to edit bin\engine.dll, not the crc\engine.dll
so I've changed the db3 directory, and it works, I didn't see anything wrong yet~

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I did exactly what U said, but it still says that can't open db3 file. plz help.

I have met the same problem with you. And even worse, I can't make it right even I change sqlite/heroes.db3 into ../heroes.db3 like you did. Plz help.

Reaction score
instead of doing all this modification why don't you simply use updateinfo and updateinfo2 correctly.

The server side does a check on these files.

It requests a http to UpToDateInfo.txt and compares both updateinfo and updateinfo2

as long as you dont have the .txt then bypass method and gsl etc.. work...

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
How do you guys modify HFS? I need to modify my Heroes.db3 file in my TW client to match the changed i did in the server Database.. yet i use vZipFlip and hfssign but i can't sign the modified HFS with my UpToDateInfo.dat.. it says that the uptodateinfo.dat file is not the right file or smth

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
How do you guys modify HFS? I need to modify my Heroes.db3 file in my TW client to match the changed i did in the server Database.. yet i use vZipFlip and hfssign but i can't sign the modified HFS with my UpToDateInfo.dat.. it says that the uptodateinfo.dat file is not the right file or smth

up
looking for a way to avoid the uptodate check after modified the 763FD8F12D3D013194261D98B4AEF0FB0F6FBA1B.hfs file

Back