Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Tutorial] Online/WAN channel/boat problem fix

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Trying to host a server for internet friends to play, but they get "channel too crowded", can't change channel, and unable to start a boat? Then this thread is for you.
Tested this with a friend on the other side of the world and confirmed that it works.

I tested a bunch of methods, but this is the only one that seemed to work.
I say "seem" because the others (Hamachi, Tunngle, etc) may have worked if we'd kept trying.
I'm sure there are better ways with similar results, but I don't know what they are.

Warning:
With this method, clients still can't seem connect reliably if their latency is 300-400ms or greater.
But it does work. Just keep trying. It's better than nothing.
If anyone knows how to reduce the chances of boat creation failure, please let me know.
There may be a setting in the server files somewhere that makes it easier to connect.
I tried adjusting some of the values I found, but didn't notice anything significantly different.

First and foremost:
Firstly, as SanGawku said, make sure the server has as few Network Adapters as possible.
Having one too many can prevent even the host from connecting to their own server's channels.
Disabling them seems to be fine. You don't need to uninstall.

Server-side:
Make a Windows user account for each unique client/player.
You'll NEED to configure file sharing access, or they will be able to access any shared folders.
Alternatively, disable Folder File Sharing service (Windows will tell you how, it's called "server").

Note that your server will only be as secure as your passwords, so use long passwords.
You don't want random people trying to connect to your PC's VPN.

Once you're done making the accounts, follow this:

Don't forget to open the Windows VPN port on your router and firewall.

Setting IP range to prevent conflicts:
This fixes a problem where both server and client share the same IP.
Right click incoming connections, select properties.
Under networking tab, click Internet Protocol Version 4, select properties.
Set specify IP addresses and type in a desired range.
I ticked Allow calling computer to specify its own IP address. Not sure if that matters

Client-side:

Use the Windows user log-in info to connect.
The server can see connected users in their Network Connections.
They can also use Task Manager's Networking tab to see if any data's being sent or received through the VPN.

Note that as long as the VPN is connected, anything the client does seems to go through the VPN server.
For example, if the client downloads a file, it'll download it through the VPN's server.

Finding the server IP and testing the VPN connection:
You need to find out the server's LAN IP. I'm not sure if it will always be the first available IP in the range.
If not, there are a few ways to check:

Properties method:
In the server's Network Connections, you should be able to see any connected users.
Right click their connection and click Status. Look in the Details tab, and it should list server and client IP.

IPconfig method:
On the server, open command prompt (run, cmd) and type ipconfig /all |more
Look for the PPP RAS or PPP adapter with an IPv4 address that matches the range you defined earlier.

The IPs for server and client need to be different or it won't connect properly.
To test, try typing in the server's listed IP into your web browser.
Do this on both server and client. It's to test if the webhost (with endpoint.txt) loads up.
If you can see the webhost properly, then the VPN connection is working properly.
If not, check your router/firewalls, check that the IPs aren't the same, etc.

Setting up Vindictus:
Change the server IP references in hosts.txt and endpoint.txt to the server IP.
You don't need to change nmconew.ini if everyone can see the webhost's endpoint.txt anyway.
You may need to restart the server. I've confirmed that disabling adapters and restarting the server can fix the server failing to connect to their own channel.

Connect to the server as normal, and the channel and boat stuff should work.
If you see "TW-GM" instead of the server name, the client needs to add these lines to the hosts.txt:
Code:
192.168.x.x tw.patch.mabinogiheroes.beanfun.com
192.168.x.x mhtwgmcheck.garenanow.com
192.168.x.x shop.heroes.gm.garena.tw
(replace 192.168.x.x with your server IP)

Channel may not connect immediately. If nothing happens after a long while, try creating a boat.
If the boat works, it should automatically connect to a channel afterwards.
If the game freezes, wait until it unfreezes and try again. It may take a few tries.
After exiting the boat, they should automatically connect to a channel

Sometimes, you may get sent to a "new channel" on log-in and need to manually select a channel.

Random multiplayer images that don't really prove much:
Patchouli - [Tutorial] Online/WAN channel/boat problem fix - RaGEZONE Forums

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
The LAN servers fun party begins more like it. Because without the Supply Depot features working I doubt any people would like to host theirs.

Do you plan to host your server for a couple of people to join only by PM and ask your IPs?

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Use VPN , I dont think it is the best way because it means that I cant use other Internet. VPN connections are global.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Encountered this issue the first time today, has any different solution popped up to fix this? Don't really want to go through all these steps.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Not that I know of. You could try VPNs like Hamachi, etc, it's possible that those work if you keep trying the boat over and over.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Not that I know of. You could try VPNs like Hamachi, etc, it's possible that those work if you keep trying the boat over and over.

I have tried Hamachi and Evolve but it didn't work. I would follow your tutorial but the problem is that I can't port forward :/

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Evolve and Tunngle didn't work when I tried them, but we didn't try the boat over and over.
We started to try Hamachi and then quit for some reason, but I forgot why.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

Idk it just doesn't work with my router for whatever reason

Ooh even Hamachi didn't work?

Nope

Evolve and Tunngle didn't work when I tried them, but we didn't try the boat over and over.
We started to try Hamachi and then quit for some reason, but I forgot why.

Well I didn't test starting the boat over and over again, what bothers me more is the "channel crowded" error

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
The channel crowded thing fixes itself after the boat, if the boat works.
I had some problems setting up port forwarding on my router, I had to update my router firmware, remove some old unused port forwarding settings, and restarted it.

If you mean you can't find port forwarding, it's also called "virtual servers", under NAT.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
someone to and has succeeded in creating a dedicated server without these estapas in home machine ?someone to and has succeeded in creating a dedicated server without these estapas in home machine ?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
[QUOTE = john007; 8681938] Eu sou maravilha vai Tunngle trabalho :) todos junta-se o mesmo quarto no Tunngle ea festa começa haha ​​[/ QUOTE]

hahaha.
i 'll try install loopback to work with Multiple ips.
in private server.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
HELLO!I WOULD LIKE TO SET UP SOMEONE KNOW Tunngle , WHERE SHOULD PUT THE IPS FOR RUNNING THE SERVER ?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
bro!!!
good evening!
well my friend I'm still okay to create mission my friends does not come, and the channel is crowded with only 2 people.
Then there came the idea to update my client.EU to 1.70 but now I can not count on my server, just loads and error.
you having this client 1.70 what you did to run?
and for the bugs you think I should handle this updating?
LET'S TEST BRO!?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Main problem with boats and channel swithing for ppl who wants to make online server is : server "tells" client what ip it needs to connect to.
In EndPoint.txt we points only server ip to start connect to, but when we enters game server force client to connect to port 27003 ( "channel switching" port ) on server's lan ip ( after router ) - ip of machine server stands on ( see cmd "ipconfig" command )
If you'll open tpc windows monitor on client pc you'll see ( connecting to server from wan side throw router ):

lan ip server on screen is our problem. Client trying to connect to server lan ip 192.168.1.110 insted of server wan ip to switch channel. Same problem for boats

e.g If server places on pc with direct connection to provider and own wan ip ( ipconfig ) then all works fine without hamachi, proxys and etc
If any server side settings to fix this "force lan ip address to client" problem?

sorry for my english :8:

Last edited:
Back