Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Custom model shows gray textures

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
So I am really close in finding out how to make your own custom armor/skin mods in game.
But the only problem that is left is the textures shows gray colors.
I have found out it has nothing to do with the .VMT .VFT files.
The original amor textures uses some kind of colormapping.
If you look at the original armor textures they are all green blue and red.
I think this has something to do with the ingame dye system.
If there is anyone thats intrested in figuring it out with me the custom model files can be downloaded below.
It replaces the male cowboy hat with a giant mario head.
If we get this texture issue resloved I will make a tutorial how to get custom models in Vindictus.

TCXUe3C - Custom model shows gray textures - RaGEZONE Forums

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Yes, that's correct. The red, green, and blue channels in the original diffuse texture for armors determine which of the 3 dyed colors appear in that region. I don't remember which channel maps to which color offhand, but it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out.

Either way, that is why your colors are screwed up; the game's interpreting the Mario hat's colors as dye masks. I don't know if there's an easy way to get around this; maybe try using the VertexLitGeneric shader instead of HeroesArmor or whatever the names are.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I got it fixed.
I used as example the combine head armor that was available in the april fools 2011 event.
The combine head and the headcrab head armor are the only armors I can find that doesn't use the red blue green channels.
If I am home I will upload a picture of the result.
The only thing I need to figure out how the game knows which mdl to use when I add new items in the db.

Update:
Here are the pictures:
Mario
MLxBvYk - Custom model shows gray textures - RaGEZONE Forums

Marluxia from the game Kingdom Hearts:

KzymsE0 - Custom model shows gray textures - RaGEZONE Forums

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back