Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Libre Trickster

Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
I'm creating this thread so that there is a place to talk about the project on RZ without bleeding into the other development threads (like this conv: #88).

Basically, you can ask or talk about any project hosted here:

I will delete or edit any posts which ask any variation of "When will this be ready?". For the most part I work on this by myself and only when I feel like it.

A little history and overview of the project:
I started this project long before we had the S2 files available. In fact, at that point in time, the chance of obtaining them looked abysmal. So the only option left to have S2 features and content was to create an emulator. I personally wanted to take it a step further and make a clone of game instead since I already knew how hard it was to edit the client. Anyways, that's what lead to the creation of this project. I ended up sinking quite a bit of money into getting good domains for the project. Ntreev doesn't plan on letting go of the .com for at least a couple decades, though. Website or not lol.

After that, I started working on the nori extractor (documenting the format, reversing existing tools, etc.), but never really had the time write the program itself. Then the S2 files were leaked/released and the need for my project drastically reduced. It got demoted to a hobby project priority level. So, ofcourse, the amount of time I spent on it reduced even further.

About 6 months later, xTridence approached me about collaborating on the extractor program, since he was looking for a challenge to test his skills. Both of us had some terms for the agreement, one of his being the license he wanted to use. In the end, I provided all the research information I had accumulated for the tool and he agreed to write the prototype for me. He ended up adding a libconfig editor to the tool as well.

After the prototype reached a decent degree of usability and competence, we did a couple months of bug testing (by iceblade112) and fixes, then xTridence lost interest or something and vanished as mysteriously as he appeared lol. Regardless, I am quite grateful for the assistance to the project that he provided, as it may have taken me several more years to find the time to complete a prototype myself.

Anyways, xTridence valued his privacy and it was part of his terms to respect it. Which is also why I never mentioned the project here, myself, until recently. xTridence's github account is just a shell he made for the project. I think it is funny when people follow it, though :laugh: . Don't bother asking for a way to contact him. I won't tell you. I don't give my word lightly.

So, per our agreement, I am in charge of maintaining the program after he poofs. Now, 2 years later and I finally have some time to work on the project again. I've done some fixes and updates on the prototype. I've also started writing the production-quality version of the extractor. I've made quite a bit of progress thanks to Hurricane Irma taking out my internet for a week.

I originally planned to write the extractor in C++, but I've decided to go with Java instead to save myself the time of making sure it works the same on all platforms, since I know this program needs to be cross-platform. I've always held a deep hatred for C# for its platform-specific approach. C# is still insufficiently cross-platform for most applications, especially libre software. In addition to the license, this is reason why I didn't simply extend the prototype.

I've recently been asked to help with similar tool for Talesweaver, so I'll be sharing the time I've allotted for TNT program with that Talesweaver program as well. So even less time lol.

So, I think that brings us to present day. Feel free to ask for more information if I missed something.

Technically, here are the current team members (ordered by joining date): myself, xTridence, iceblade112
Their roles have already been explained in the post. I'm the only contact for the project, though.

TL;DR:
If you aren't willing to read the entire post. Do not reply. I spent a lot of time writing it.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
@BattleCattle
1A. I've already examined that file, and it doesn't really add anything new to our info.
2A. Mostly likely it has something to do with the way that the nri file interacts with the game client (my best guess). What we do know is that it isn't necessary for the extraction of images and animations themselves, so we've simply ignored it for now. That section's size changes directly with the nori version so we know how many byte to ignore when reading the files.
1A. i see, thanks
2A. for me, its hard to ignore such large part of the file - it has to be important, otherwise it wouldnt be there
im trying to finish my version of NORI file structure documentation (based on japanese nriformat.txt),
to be able to create new things for Trickster Online (because if you want something to happen, you have to do it yourself :) )
so far only pets:

Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
1A. i see, thanks
2A. for me, its hard to ignore such large part of the file - it has to be important, otherwise it wouldnt be there
im trying to finish my version of NORI file structure documentation (based on japanese nriformat.txt),
to be able to create new things for Trickster Online (because if you want something to happen, you have to do it yourself :) )
so far only pets:

As you are already aware, I'm taking a different route to "create new things for Trickster Online" than most. The goal is large and the human resources are low, so I must focus on things that give results instead of worrying about every detail.

Regardless, I welcome all who wish to add to the community knowledge-base. If it interests you, feel free to research it. I'm about 75% done with TNT, but short on time atm. I doubt you feel like waiting while your enthusiasm is pumping, so I'll just say that in addition to the research you will do, please do check out the TNT docs when I find the time to finish the program.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
As you are already aware, I'm taking a different route to "create new things for Trickster Online" than most. The goal is large and the human resources are low, so I must focus on things that give results instead of worrying about every detail.

Regardless, I welcome all who wish to add to the community knowledge-base. If it interests you, feel free to research it. I'm about 75% done with TNT, but short on time atm. I doubt you feel like waiting while your enthusiasm is pumping, so I'll just say that in addition to the research you will do, please do check out the TNT docs when I find the time to finish the program.

Oh, cool you are at around 75% when will you update the github ?

Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
Oh, cool you are at around 75% when will you update the github ?

Only when it's done. -.- TNT is only a little different from TO-Toolbox results-wise.
It adds support for that last 10% of nori files, adds documentation, & makes it cross-platform. That's all.
I'm not looking for help writing it, so I see no reason to release it before it is ready to be beta tested.

I appreciate your show of interest though. I'm certainly not seeing any on github.

Last edited:
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I was wondering if you are finished with the .nri NORI documentation it would be a huge help to me because it would majorly speed up the progress with finally creating a tool that will create and understand the .nri files. :)

Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
I was wondering if you are finished with the .nri NORI documentation it would be a huge help to me because it would majorly speed up the progress with finally creating a tool that will create and understand the .nri files. :)

No, I'm not. Finishing the program and finishing the documentation kind of go hand-in-hand. I can only document what I find out after I've figured it out.

Anyways what do you mean by "understand the .nri files"?

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
What I mean about "Understanding the .nri files" is understanding the logic of how the file is created.
Creating animation groups, naming said groups, animation delay (ms).
adding bmp images, 8bit 16bit, 24bit, pallet info, image number, x and y axis, image size parameters.
and the end of the .nri with some info un-encrypted and other parts encrypted?

Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
Well I'll do my best to make my documentation user-friendly, but like I said, its release date is the same as TNT and that won't change. I'm far too busy offline already so I have no intention of adding to my workload to get a hobby project done sooner.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
What I mean about "Understanding the .nri files" is understanding the logic of how the file is created.
Creating animation groups, naming said groups, animation delay (ms).
adding bmp images, 8bit 16bit, 24bit, pallet info, image number, x and y axis, image size parameters.
and the end of the .nri with some info un-encrypted and other parts encrypted?

you should create several NRI files :)
then you will know how it works

start with weapons, its really simple

PyroSamurai:

:adore: i would like to thank you, xTridence, iceblade112 and everyone else involved in making TO Toolbox
extremely helpful :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
I've restarted the fundraising for the TNT 1.6.0 release.
Feel free to donate if you're interested.
If you tried to donate last time, paypal probably refunded you because they didn't give me anything.
I'm using normal money transfer method this time, since I know it works. They'll take a fee though >.>

Back