Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Virtual Box Pre-Made Server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
I am currently working on getting the server up and running locally in a virtual box, since the guide(s) so far have been for the most part unyielding for results. If and when, I get the server up running I will export it and set up a link to download here in forums to download it. That way people can just download the pre-setup server (even if not translated) and start doing development work. Obviously, making people start from scratch every time with crappy files didn't work so we'll see how my idea pans out. Just to let you all know, the download will be somewhere around 15gb since that is a small as I could reasonable fit all the server and server tools you or I may need to use. I will split it up into 30 or 40 pieces so that they are each around 250mb so as not to risk any token key timeouts or whatever. Also I may host the downloads on my own web server which has a poor upload rate of about 360-400kb/s but that's what I have available to me. I will continue to use the useful snapshot and import/export features to advance this project as it is a good alternative to a version control system which is what I am use to using when I do development work. The main point of this is to shorten time between download and development by getting rid of the pain in the butt that setting up this server is. I have read more posts about people having trouble setting up the damn server then I have about actual development work being done. I've only been a part of this little project for about a week and I am already tired of reading those posts. For those of you who have been dealing with this for years, I can only imagine the mental torment you have been through. Anyways going off-topic. Point and fact, if and when I get this server up and running, so will you. No more shenanigans. And Ice if you want to help with this as well I would gladly accept the offer since you seem to have the local language advantage here and have been successful in at least getting the server running which 90% of people have not. End of post.

~PyroSamurai

Edit:

Change of plans for the download part.
I will make a torrent for a single 20GB~ish file and host the initial node on my server.
List of reasons that make a torrent beneficial even if I'm the only seeder:

1. This allows people to start and stop the download as they please, important for large files.

2. Prevents file corruption through download.

3. Ensures that the download is genuine.

4. No reliance on a site.

5. No waiting to download.

There are even more reasons but those really only matter if others decide they want to help me by seeding as well.

Last edited:
Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
http://forum.ragezone.com/f297/release-trickster-156102/index8.html This page is extremely helpful for a translation head start. There is a download on this page of a partially translated libconfig.dat file and some other instructions on how to replace a few files to translate some other parts of the client. Just thought I'd mention it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Great!
If you'd want to test it on a real server, I think I could help with it.
My friend has a dedicated hetzner machine:

In case you'd want to get in touch, my skype is 'avazt-'.

Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
Great!
If you'd want to test it on a real server, I think I could help with it.
My friend has a dedicated hetzner machine:

In case you'd want to get in touch, my skype is 'avazt-'.

I'll keep that in mind because I certainly do not want to host this game on my server since I'm already hosting 3 test servers for a different mmorpg.

Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
I've finished making the virtualbox server and it runs. I am now tackling two issues:

1. Shrinking the ram usage of the map server. (Essentially reducing the number of maps it will be able to load by default. I will have the rest of the maps put into a text file).

2. Figuring out how to map the client connection to outside the vbox or figuring out a way to get 32-bit graphics to work inside the vbox because right now it does not.

As I said in my edit of my first post, I will be making it a torrent.

Last edited:
Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
Okay when I get the time, whenever that may be (I'm so busy I shouldn't even be writing this post ha!). I'll release an even better libconfig.dat patch that should tie you over until Ice finishes his (specifically the translations that need bilingual understanding of english and chinese to make a good translation). Remember people, feel free to post any files or advances you make as well. I saved you some trouble with my releases, so pass on the favor and save others some trouble by sharing your advances.

Reaction score
Okay when I get the time, whenever that may be (I'm so busy I shouldn't even be writing this post ha!). I'll release an even better libconfig.dat patch that should tie you over until Ice finishes his (specifically the translations that need bilingual understanding of english and chinese to make a good translation). Remember people, feel free to post any files or advances you make as well. I saved you some trouble with my releases, so pass on the favor and save others some trouble by sharing your advances.

I am not as good reading the text, so it may take a while.
Also, CHECKSUM!!

Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
I am not as good reading the text, so it may take a while.
Also, CHECKSUM!!

Please stop going on about the checksum. >.> We do get that it has a size limit already.
I'll be releasing my own versions of the libconfig.dat periodically which will include your translations, sound like a better idea?

Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
MD5 Checksum is 835387B6718BB5A970259591ED5D0811 on the .RAR file.

I'm not sure if this was joke at ice's expense or not but he wasn't talking about the release. Ice likes to call the byte-check, that the client uses to prevent corruption of the libconfig.dat file, a checksum lock. It is incorrect terminology, but I doubt we'll be able to shake him of the habit. Just internally translate the meaning whenever you see him use it that way.

@RaGEZONE IRC
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this was joke at ice's expense or not but he wasn't talking about the release. Ice likes to call the byte-check, that the client uses to prevent corruption of the libconfig.dat file, a checksum lock. It is incorrect terminology, but I doubt we'll be able to shake him of the habit. Just internally translate the meaning whenever you see him use it that way.
Trying to make him happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back