Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

2nd Pre-Made Trickster Development Virtualbox Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
A little larger than the last export but still under 3GB.
Enhancements in this release:
~ A lighter MSSQL database for faster trickster server loading.
~ MSSQL server license that won't run out.
~ Strong password protecting the downloaded archive.
Password located in torrent download to prevent non-members from using the devbox.
~ Extra crediting documentation added to the archives in case of non-winrar unrar utilities.
~ Slightly better translation of the client, previous libconfig.dat archived in same directories as new files.

I prefer using torrent due to the longevity and anti-corruption properties it has.

Torrent with password inside: View attachment TricksterDevbox2-torrent.rar

~PyroSamurai

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited by a moderator:
Delta
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I've worked on a few games, and I'm curious, rather then dicking around with translations / presets, why not just RE the trickster client and make a server out of it? You've got all the tools + information in the trickster files. I realize its a task, but I've been planning on doing something along those lines whenever I have time.

Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
I've worked on a few games, and I'm curious, rather then dicking around with translations / presets, why not just RE the trickster client and make a server out of it? You've got all the tools + information in the trickster files. I realize its a task, but I've been planning on doing something along those lines whenever I have time.

Because these particular server and client files are very old. Most people who are following the development of the private servers for this game want the newest version of the game which is the 4th version and these files are for the 1st version. Hence, no real demand for the effort. Also I'm already writing a new GPL3 server and client which will be a replacement for the proprietary game. In other words, a 5th version. So, other than the actual mechanics of the game, these files don't interest me much. If you want to waste time on reverse engineering an old version, be my guest. I'm just a nice developer who decided to help out this game's community so I have no particular loyalty to any specific version of the game.

Delta
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Because these particular server and client files are very old. Most people who are following the development of the private servers for this game want the newest version of the game which is the 4th version and these files are for the 1st version. Hence, no real demand for the effort. Also I'm already writing a new GPL3 server and client which will be a replacement for the proprietary game. In other words, a 5th version. So, other than the actual mechanics of the game, these files don't interest me much. If you want to waste time on reverse engineering an old version, be my guest. I'm just a nice developer who decided to help out this game's community so I have no particular loyalty to any specific version of the game.

I see your point, and I agree with it. However what I'm wondering is what exactly do you mean by "old version"? I have the English version of the files before they shut down (which are up-dated right before they closed down). Although are you talking already unpacked and extracted FTP files?. In which case no I don't have those. But I do have the unpacked and extracted files I did myself. If it's any help.

I was talking more about RE the recent files the ones right before the close (presumably we're talking about 4th(?) version), not about these particular ones because I've seen these floating around and quite honestly I don't think they're much use for someone like you or I. But for occasional average users who simply want to mess around then I would say this would be certainly suffice.

Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
I see your point, and I agree with it. However what I'm wondering is what exactly do you mean by "old version"? I have the English version of the files before they shut down (which are up-dated right before they closed down). Although are you talking already unpacked and extracted FTP files?. In which case no I don't have those. But I do have the unpacked and extracted files I did myself. If it's any help.

I was talking more about RE the recent files the ones right before the close (presumably we're talking about 4th(?) version), not about these particular ones because I've seen these floating around and quite honestly I don't think they're much use for someone like you or I. But for occasional average users who simply want to mess around then I would say this would be certainly suffice.

I have considered that and about 6 other clients of varying versions and extracted all the graphics. The problem is that all the games are shutting down and honestly I would like to have a replacement solution that I can distribute and work on without worry of some proprietary dogs wanting to sue me over a dead game since they have little else to do. For me personally, it is easier to just write the server and client with my own code so I know what can go wrong and what can cause any of the bugs I might encounter rather than worrying about the issues of a proprietary file here or there or one that I missed or some crappy code on their part. That way I can just have a nice clean, editable, distributable server and client that anybody can use, but that is completely unrelated to these development vboxes and the soon to be released public server vbox.

They are made specifically to get development popular as before I started working this thread the development of private servers was far too dependent on the teams who started and eventually quit the developing without releasing their work. With this method I had a public private server up in 6 weeks from the time I started development on this game. I don't host the servers myself so working out bugs is more time consuming for me. Using the private servers to do the translations is also another purpose of these vboxes. I'm sort of rambling now but the gist of the story is that I need time to write the new server and client and giving people this to use and develop in the meantime is useful to me.

Trying to sum up the reasoning for seven months of work is not easy. In essence, I'm changing the OS platform to GNU+Linux, the graphics (I have artists on my team), I want the resulting code to be GPL3 and as modular as possible. Once the engine and client are done for this game, I want the same code (or most of it) to be able to used in other projects of similar games. There simply is a lack of good (non-game-specific or otherwise) MMORPG engines out there that are GPL. Wow, that took too long to write. I've already written more than half the code so there is no point in me changing my method. Like I said though, I welcome any development. I do not consider it competition since my end goal is to make the community happy and put the game back in their hands.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I have considered that and about 6 other clients of varying versions and extracted all the graphics. The problem is that all the games are shutting down and honestly I would like to have a replacement solution that I can distribute and work on without worry of some proprietary dogs wanting to sue me over a dead game since they have little else to do. For me personally, it is easier to just write the server and client with my own code so I know what can go wrong and what can cause any of the bugs I might encounter rather than worrying about the issues of a proprietary file here or there or one that I missed or some crappy code on their part. That way I can just have a nice clean, editable, distributable server and client that anybody can use, but that is completely unrelated to these development vboxes and the soon to be released public server vbox.

They are made specifically to get development popular as before I started working this thread the development of private servers was far too dependent on the teams who started and eventually quit the developing without releasing their work. With this method I had a public private server up in 6 weeks from the time I started development on this game. I don't host the servers myself so working out bugs is more time consuming for me. Using the private servers to do the translations is also another purpose of these vboxes. I'm sort of rambling now but the gist of the story is that I need time to write the new server and client and giving people this to use and develop in the meantime is useful to me.

Trying to sum up the reasoning for seven months of work is not easy. In essence, I'm changing the OS platform to GNU+Linux, the graphics (I have artists on my team), I want the resulting code to be GPL3 and as modular as possible. Once the engine and client are done for this game, I want the same code (or most of it) to be able to used in other projects of similar games. There simply is a lack of good (non-game-specific or otherwise) MMORPG engines out there that are GPL. Wow, that took too long to write. I've already written more than half the code so there is no point in me changing my method. Like I said though, I welcome any development. I do not consider it competition since my end goal is to make the community happy and put the game back in their hands.
So your going to release the source to put the game back in their hands or are you just going to make a server?
OT:Nice release.

Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
So your going to release the source to put the game back in their hands or are you just going to make a server?
OT:Nice release.

Um if you were referring to my replacement's source code, yes it will be available Github. The game is still far from ready though. I still have to replace all the graphics and write the quests after I finish the code. It's not just a server; it is a new game with a client and server.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Um if you were referring to my replacement's source code, yes it will be available Github. The game is still far from ready though. I still have to replace all the graphics and write the quests after I finish the code. It's not just a server; it is a new game with a client and server.
So basically your unpacking the client or something and using those graphics to make a new game using the graphics Trickster Online and the rest making it yourself? If so you should just try using TalesWeaver Graphics muchhhhhhhhhhhh more HD.

Btw if you need a Korean to English or English to Korean translation, I can do it :L
What's the link to the Github and how big is the server going to be?

Last edited:
Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
So basically your unpacking the client or something and using those graphics to make a new game using the graphics Trickster Online and the rest making it yourself? If so you should just try using TalesWeaver Graphics muchhhhhhhhhhhh more HD.

Btw if you need a Korean to English or English to Korean translation, I can do it :L
What's the link to the Github and how big is the server going to be?

I'm not using the graphics that I'm unpacking. They are just being unpacked to be used as examples for the new art we'll be making for the game. The project will be quite a long ordeal. I do need a Korean to/from English translator but not right now. The server is not done and won't be done for a long time. As for size of the server, that is irrelevant to me. My goal for the server is to run under 2GB of RAM without players on. This is the repository but the server won't be available for the public to see until I'm comfortable the server's base structure and design are final. Feel free to fork the client folder and send pull request for any GPL3 graphic replacements you make as there is about 350k to replace. That number should give a good idea of the size of this project.

As a side note for everyone: I'm in no rush to get it done quickly. I'm more interested in coding the server and client correctly to fit my goals than I am in how fast I do it. So don't expect it to be done within a year. I'm not writing a private server. I'm writing a legitimate GPL3 replacement engine and client for proprietary 2D MMORPGs. Since I will be making the game mechanics and client interface modular, other programmers will be able to simply replace those two modules and the graphics to make other replacement games more quickly and with the added benefit of being Microsoft-free.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
can not open game ... Trickster.exe i show popup in image... how to fix it

Last edited:
Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
can not open game ... Trickster.exe i show popup in image... how to fix it

<snip></snip>

1. The error is caused by a lack of 3D support from your VM software settings. Since you are using VMware, read this:

2. Change that image to an inline attachment.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I want to know is what this file is the complete server ???

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'm not using the graphics that I'm unpacking. They are just being unpacked to be used as examples for the new art we'll be making for the game. The project will be quite a long ordeal. I do need a Korean to/from English translator but not right now. The server is not done and won't be done for a long time. As for size of the server, that is irrelevant to me. My goal for the server is to run under 2GB of RAM without players on. This is the repository but the server won't be available for the public to see until I'm comfortable the server's base structure and design are final. Feel free to fork the client folder and send pull request for any GPL3 graphic replacements you make as there is about 350k to replace. That number should give a good idea of the size of this project.

As a side note for everyone: I'm in no rush to get it done quickly. I'm more interested in coding the server and client correctly to fit my goals than I am in how fast I do it. So don't expect it to be done within a year. I'm not writing a private server. I'm writing a legitimate GPL3 replacement engine and client for proprietary 2D MMORPGs. Since I will be making the game mechanics and client interface modular, other programmers will be able to simply replace those two modules and the graphics to make other replacement games more quickly and with the added benefit of being Microsoft-free.
dat massive 2gb memory leak lawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back