Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

The NORI Tool Released

Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
Many years of work have now come to fruition for me.

I've released the TNT program with the promised NORI documentation here:

Enjoy! Should extract or analyze any .nri/.bac file you can throw at it. Perfectly.

Edit (Dec 11, 2019):
(the professor): Good news, everyone!
I have an early Christmas gift for the RZ Trickster community.
And a gift it surely is, since I don't benefit from this gift at all and had 0 interest in making it.
But I like to live up to the expectations of my fans.

So I've been working all-day for almost 2 weeks now on TNT, adding feature after feature.
This culminated in the completion of a bare-bones Creation feature.
Unlike previous attempts, mine doesn't stop at loading images.
You can modify or create any non-8bit NORI file you want. (My JBL doesn't support 8-bit creation, atm)
Anyways, I finished testing the code today. Here are some pics of some files I edited (beta client):
BetaTrickster_Custom1 - The NORI Tool Released - RaGEZONE Forums BetaTrickster_Custom2 - The NORI Tool Released - RaGEZONE Forums

By the way, if you're thinking about making a compiled version and sharing it, don't.
If someone isn't able to follow the directions to compile the program,
then they can't possibly hope to modify NORI files with my program.
Doing so requires both math and deep understanding of the NORI format & a useless .bat file
isn't going to save them from that. I make tools, not toys after all. Time to wrap this up.

Merry Christmas, devs and leechers alike. :)
Go check out the release on github and test all those files I don't want to.

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
nice, thanks :)

would it be possible to add an option to save decompressed NORI file?
so i could examine it a bit

Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
@BattleCattle A decompressed NORI file looks exactly the same as a regular NORI file. I assume you're speaking of the zlib compression.

It is exactly like putting a NORI file inside a .zip archive. When you take it out, it is the same file you put in.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
no, im talking about the original NORI file before the compression
i would like to examine animations, maybe there will be something interesting

EDIT: my bad, it about compressed map files - they are not like regular NORI files

Last edited:
Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
@BattleCattle No, it is not possible to add an option to export a decoded NORI file for the purpose observing the animation data for two reasons:
1. The offsets would be wrong for both the images and the animations (fixable, but problematic)
2. TNT doesn't touch the animation data in the first place (not fixable)

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
awesome! Release, although some of the Documentation can be updated for some unknown param's.
Though I was wondering could you make it available to use *.nri *.bac to extract from multiple files at a time?
BitmapData: BMP Data For Each Image
Param 5 = image position_x and Param 6 = image position_Y
then under PlaneData: Basic Data For Each Plane in Every Frame
Param 5 is BLEND MODE (ADD, MULTY, INVMULTY)

Last edited:
Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
@altasking ah, thank you, I will add those to the documentation.

As for the program modification: yes, I should be able to add that ability. Not sure why I didn't think of that, I usually write bash scripts to deal with multiple files but being able to define all with a wildcard would definitely be a good feature. Would you like to make it a formal issue on github?

Edit: Ugh, just realized github did some nasty strikeouts to my documentation that weren't there in my local markdown viewer. I'll have to fix that too, somehow.

Edit: Okay I've added the new info, look it over to see if it is satisfactory.
Edit: I've taken care of the github issue for you.

Edit (14hrs later): Okay , I've add the multi-file input. Added a new release for it as well 1.1.0 . Another version, 1.1.1 may be incoming soon while I look over my code for ways to improve it.

Last edited:
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
So far i have not had any issues extracting files, i just extracted the entire map folder. yes i am using windows.
@PyroSamurai
I thought you wanted to extract all .nri files .til is just another type and contains the rest of the map image files but if you don't want to that is fine i will ask iceblade then.

also part of the animation section of the documentation you can have multiple animation Groups and then inside the group you can have multiple images and then in 1 image you can have multiple images within a z-plane.
Animation 1
Image 1
Image 2
Animation 2
Image 1 Plane 0 , Plane 1 , Plane 2 , Plane 3 <--Group to make 1 Image (Object) layered In game, each Plane is an Image on a z axis. each plane can be moved on the X and Y axis.
Image 2

Last edited:
Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
@altasking Bring it up with iceblade, not on my release thread.
I'm glad my program works so far. I implemented the feature you wanted in less than 24hrs. It was a good feature.
I'm glad you suggested it. I assume you are on Windows so I'm glad it works there too.

Edit: not sure why you edited your previous post instead of making a new reply, but no .til, .lyr, and .md3 files are not NORI files. Some of them may be image archives, but they are not NORI files. Anyways, iceblade is the one with documentation on those files. So he is better equipped to implement such a feature in his program that already deals with them. Lose the attitude, though. I don't deserve it.

As for the animation documentation, I believe I cover that in the short paragraph before it. Except for what you are saying about about the layering, but I tried to make it as linear as possible. Not sure how I would incorporate that into the docs.

Last edited:
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
oh, okay thank you for the clarification, i though .til was another type of .nri i guess i was misunderstanding, i did not know i was talking with an attitude, i made an update to my post because you told me to not bring it up in your thread is all. I am sorry that you thought i was talking with an attitude.
i am still a little confused with the z Axis myself but i try to think of it like i would in photoshop.
i did not want to add a new reply as it was going to make the thread larger, but i am making a new reply now so i ended up doing it anyway lol.

Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
@altasking okay, well I guess I misread your post then if you weren't giving me attitude. We really should use emoticons more here :)

But yes, based on the readme on TricksterMap, iceblade already plans to add an extraction option anyways so you just have to wait for him to do that. :)

Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
@BattleCattle I love you guys. There's no way I can test all the files out there by myself.
Thanks for letting me know. I've reproduced your results. I'll upload a fix as soon as I can.

BattleCattle
EDIT - 2Days later: fix uploaded, check out the github repository, don't forget to like or rep.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
[h=2]How to compile and package TNT[/h]Assuming you have Java installed, all you have to do to compile TNT is to access the src directory from the command prompt or terminal.
Then run the following command:
javac *.java
Then to package TNT into a .jar file, run this command in the same directory:
jar cfe TNT.jar Main *.class
it says: 'javac' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
i guess i dont have java installed
what should i install?
maybe it would be better to upload compiled TNT as well (for noobs like me :):)

2. i would like to compress an image
how does RLE compression work?
i cant find 1f 7c anywhere ...
PyroSamurai - The NORI Tool Released - RaGEZONE Forums

Last edited by a moderator:
Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
@BattleCattle I don't know how you compiled the program the first time, and thus find the error, if you didn't have the required java dev kit, but here is a link:

1F7C is hot pink. Well in this case it is.
You should probably learn how to program before wanting to do anything special with files.
Since the NORi RLE is non-standard. But here are some non-programming options for standard RLE:

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
@PyroSamurai
thanks for the link for jdk
------------------
im not looking for compression to zip or rar
im looking for a way how to compress images so they could be used in NRI files
(i have got NRI file with compressed images and 1 uncompressed image that i want to add to this NRI file, thats why i need to compress it)

ive read about RLE Compression on Wikipedia before but there was no answer to my problem

i know what 1f7c is
and because it is used for transparent background, there should be lot of it
so according to Wikipedia, there should be something like: (number)1F7C, but its not there

non-standard RLE? how it works?

Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
@BattleCattle Did you read the NORI format specification? Your answer is there, but in case you missed it, compressed .nri files don't designate a background color, they just denote the number of pixels that the background takes up. Read my specification, please.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
@PyroSamurai

1. TNT
jdk installed, TNT compiled, itm_acc_016.nri extracted :)
thank you

2. RLE compression
my bad, i missed it
i get it now, thanks
does every scanline end with 00 00?

PyroSamurai - The NORI Tool Released - RaGEZONE Forums

Edit: it ends with 00 00 only if the row ends with background pixel/s

Last edited:
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
However,what I don't understand is that tools similar to TNT had been done long ago(just like the toolbox).
So,what is the meaning of it?
Of course I’m not questioning your efforts but objectively viewing the repetitiveness of this matter.
Though I have been watching you for a long time,I have never had the courage to ask you questions.
If you can see my reply, please tell me the secret of repackaging nri files.
Begging you please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
@845467
Why the repetitiveness:
The previous tools were all binary only, proprietary, and therefore unchangeable. This is an issue since none of them fully supported the newer format changes. They were all written before 2007, the game ended in 2013.

Documentation of the format was also pretty much non-existent except for one (NriReaderCon), so that needed to be addressed as well.

So the short of it is, the cause of the repetitiveness is that everyone else's work was unsatisfactory to me so I needed to redo it the right way :)

There's no big secret to repackaging nori files. It's just the reverse of extraction and I've well documented that process. Most of the problems arise with the internal integrity checks by the game client and server. I don't have much interest in that area, so I don't know much about it, yet.

Last edited:
Back