Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Trickster Server Tutorial

Reaction score
THIS TUTORIAL IS FOR 0.50, DO NOT USE FOR SEASON 2

PyroSamurai, the epic guy that started... basically all of this Trickster server craze stuff, has convinced me to make a tutorial. So, here it is!
I will be linking to the Trickster Project thread here, for leech-proofing it a little:
http://forum.ragezone.com/f297/project-trickster-imds-100-work-778634/

DO NOT ATTEMPT DOING THIS ON ANY X64 VERSION OF WINDOWS

From there, download the server files, database, the 0.50 client and SQL Server 2000.
Before you ask, NO, it is not possible to update the client.

Requirements:
  • SQL Server 2000 - any version will do fine
  • 0.50 Trickster Client - read the bold print before asking about updates
  • 0.50 Server Files and Database
  • A decent CPU -- at least 1.6GHz.
  • At least 1 GB of RAM (probably won't even run if you have too much stuff open; 3GB recommended)
  • Some old x86 Windows OS

Installing SQL Server 2000

First, you need to open SQLEVAL.exe (depending on what version you have) and let the installer extract the install files. It should open the autoplay menu.

Keep clicking the first option, until the setup starts.
Press next and so on. If it asks for a restart, restart your computer.

Continue until it says something about where to install it. Install it to a "Local Account".

Then, leave everything default, with the database password as "1q2w3e".
Continue the installation.

After the install finishes, open up Enterprise Manager or Query Analyzer. I will be explaining everything to be used with Enterprise Manager. Then, continue with the next step.

Restoring Databases

Assuming you have the database and server files extracted, move the server files to C:\Trickster and the database in that folder, too.

On the left, if the first list option is not expanded, expand it. Then, expand (local), which should be the second option.

After that, right click "Databases" and click new. Name it Trickster, and repeat with gmg_account.

Then you need to restore the databases.

Right click Trickster and hit All Tasks>Restore Database.

Select "From Device" on the right side, and browse to C:\Trickster\trickster. trickster would be the database backup file.

Then, select the Options tab.

Make sure the 2 file locations are valid in the chart and select "force restore over existing database".

Do the same with gmg_account.

Adding the Linked Server

I wanted to save the trouble of having to rename your computer name to TR_ACCOUNTDB. Let's do it the linked servers way!

On the right list, expand Security. Then, right click Linked Servers and select new.

For the name, you'd name it TR_ACCOUNTDB, changing the provider name to Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server.

Name the product name TR_ACCOUNTDB, the data source (local), and the catalog Trickster. Ignore provider string.

Then, go to the Security tab.

Under "Local Login", put sa. Check impersonate, and select "be made using the login's current security context" on the bottom.

After, go to the Server Options tab and select RPC In and RPC Out.

That's it, press OK.

Adding fls_login

Now, go to gmg_account>Logins and delete fls_login.

You need to go to Security again after you delete the one in gmg_account. Then, right click Logins and choose new.

For the username, put in fls_login. Then, select SQL Server Authentication and put eoqkrajrwk0813 as the password. The default database should be gmg_account.

Then, go to the Database Access tab. Select gmg_account on top, and fls_role on the bottom column. Keep "public" as is.

Then, press OK and re-enter eoqkrajrwk0813 to confirm it.

Editing tables

Go into gmg_account and edit tbl_world. Change what looks like an IP.
Repeat with tbl_parm_server.

If you're ignorant enough to not know what an IP looks like... get out.

ODBC stuff

So, press Windows+R (Run) and type in odbcad32.

Go to the System DSN tab and click add. Then, select "SQL Server".

Name it Trickster_master, with the source pointing to (local). Click next and select SQL Server authentication. Put in sa and 1q2w3e.

Click next and select Trickster as the default database.

Last, click next and finish, and test it to see if it connects correctly.

After, repeat with trickster_system!

Configuring the server files

Let's see... you go into the directories (directory after the first directory :p) and edit the .ini files. Change what looks like an IP. :p

Also, create 'log' in the root directory of your drive.

Yeah, I think you're done.

Start in this order:
FirstLoginServerW.exe
MasterServer.exe
SystemServer.exe
GameServer.exe (IT USES 3 DAMN GIGABYTES OF RAM!)
LoginServer.exe

*GameServer can come after LoginServer as long as the rest of the files are open.

Use cmd to "debug" any errors.

Client editing

You should download a hex editor, like HxD, if you don't already have one.

You first need to open up Trickster.bin. Search for ",win98".

Before that is a 11 character IP.

Put in your IP in place of that IP.

For example,
192.168.001.11,win98 if you have a 9 character IP.
015.035.43.052,win98 is another example.

Save the client as Trickster.exe and play!

Account creation

It's quite straight forward...
You can use yubba's PHP script or do it manually.

Go into gmg_account and tbl_account. Fill out the details. You should follow the format of the above character/user.

Congrats! You should have a fully functional Trickster server!

Flaws of this:

- Systems might not work (worked for me after a few days)
- Limited to 11 characters for an IP address.
- This is old!
- If you use Vista or higher, chances are that it won't connect to any LAN server.

EDIT: 7/29/13 - I forgot the ODBC crap... sorry. :C
EDIT: 10/19/13 - DON'T EVEN ATTEMPT THIS ON ANY X64 WINDOWS SYSTEM.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I see you're on a stalking spree. lol
:p
(jk)
Pshh..
good one...
haha....
iceblade112 - Trickster Server Tutorial - RaGEZONE Forums

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
How long until the rest of the tutorial is finished?

PS: Looks great so far.

Reaction score
*snip*
Also, do you have a link to the 0.50 english patch that was posted in that release thread, or will it not work with this.

I do not have the English patch. However, the client uses a "checksum lock", so if you modify libconfig.dat, you need to make it have the same amount of bytes of the original one. You should probably use mTO's translation.

@RaGEZONE IRC
Reaction score
I do not have the English patch. However, the client uses a "checksum lock", so if you modify libconfig.dat, you need to make it have the same amount of bytes of the original one. You should probably use mTO's translation.
Anyone who uses this must show proper credits to the translators at least.

Reaction score
Link me?

Anyone who uses this must show proper credits to the translators at least.
Agreed.

@RaGEZONE IRC
Reaction score
Yet, you guys will never figure out how to get, party, friends, card battles, etc to work.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
2013-10-19 20:37:47, 10009:FnlFw Parameter![SvrType(0),SvrNo(1),Version(1),ThdNiCnt(24),SessionCnt(1024),SendCnt(1000),Port(14446/14446),ThdDbCnt(12),QoolSz(1000)]
2013-10-19 20:37:47, 20076:Cannot initialize logger.[ErrNo(2)]
2013-10-19 20:37:47, 10003:Service has been ended.[Ended FirstLoginSvrW service!]

I got this error.. Im already check for 5 times where is wrong..

Reaction score
2013-10-19 20:37:47, 10009:FnlFw Parameter![SvrType(0),SvrNo(1),Version(1),ThdNiCnt(24),SessionCnt(1024),SendCnt(1000),Port(14446/14446),ThdDbCnt(12),QoolSz(1000)]
2013-10-19 20:37:47, 20076:Cannot initialize logger.[ErrNo(2)]
2013-10-19 20:37:47, 10003:Service has been ended.[Ended FirstLoginSvrW service!]

I got this error.. Im already check for 5 times where is wrong..

Create the log folder in C:\.

Back