Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Packet Sniffer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hey

I been studying packet sniffing recently in order to make use of packets send to the zone server and all..
So i was kinda thinking if people in here can help me with it a little ..

Or share opinions or possible share a little of their work,

Thanks

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
i need help with pvp shouts to be exact. How can i implement it

Goodbye
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Start with the easy part, read and store the log messages that zoneserver sends to logserver then just dump the useless ones and keep the Kill:Die messages.

Reaction score
I made a quick dot net application which can be downloaded from here . In Main Server. Zone Server and Battle Server give GameLogIp as 127.0.0.1 and GameLogPort as shown in my exe file. It just starts dumping raw logs into text files in string format. If you need clearer logs you can try using Chris's logger which is available here http://forum.ragezone.com/f487/zoneserver-log-agent-logs-zs-646398/

Last edited:
Goodbye
Loyal Member
Reaction score
So now you have the logger, let's go to the next step.

Another interesting thing that can be done is to analyze the log messages and make them understandable, this will help you in many ways.

a) Keep an easy to search log in order to track down things that happened in your server and might be useful in order to help your users or track down scammers.

b) Implement some kind of per character logging

c) Keep info on who died in PvP and who killed him

etc etc

Not excited with the logging? Want to move on to packet sniffing?

OK , setup your sniffer prog and start by slowly trying to figure out what happens between servers.

For example: Sniff packets being sent to a single server each time, don't monitor all of them together, start by looking for stuff that seem easy to understand and contain some understandable string to help you figure it out. Fortunately , communication between servers is not encrypted :)

This is not an easy process and unless you are really lucky or highly experienced you will end up looking at hex jargon for hours until you find something that might be a starting point for further investigation.

You can also save the sniffer logs and start searching them for strings displayed in game, this can be helpful too.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Ah chris thanks for the go.. Lemme try to go on with this a little step by step.. Gimme a couple of days.. lemme study

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back