Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Question about VPS

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
I'm about to order a VPS from OVH. Called them up to ask a few questions and couldn't really get a straight forward answer from them

Windows 2012 R2 std, is it suitable for server files?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes it is. Also Windows 2008 R2 Standard.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Go for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64. But, it will be also working on 2012 R2 :):

Okay awesome. I don't wanna drop to much money into a server just yet ^_^ so going for a cheap cloud one so me and some friends can do test. Then when we launch i'll upgrade

is this fine?

OpenStack KVM
99.99% SLA
2 vCores
3.1 GHz
4 GB RAM
50 GB
High Availability NVMe (Ceph)

ImperiaMuCMS CEO
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Okay awesome. I don't wanna drop to much money into a server just yet ^_^ so going for a cheap cloud one so me and some friends can do test. Then when we launch i'll upgrade

is this fine?

OpenStack KVM
99.99% SLA
2 vCores
3.1 GHz
4 GB RAM
50 GB
High Availability NVMe (Ceph)

Yes, it's fine for private testing. But if you will want to open it for public, it will be better to get something more powerful :): But it also depends on number of players what you will have. it will be enough for maybe 50-100 players. So if you have bigger plans, get at least 4 cores, 8 GB RAM and some bigger HDD - 100+GB should be fine :):

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Yes, it's fine for private testing. But if you will want to open it for public, it will be better to get something more powerful :): But it also depends on number of players what you will have. it will be enough for maybe 50-100 players. So if you have bigger plans, get at least 4 cores, 8 GB RAM and some bigger HDD - 100+GB should be fine :):

Thanks for the help Jacubb :) really appreciate it. Yes there is only going to be about 10-20 testers before i decide to upgrade ^_^
I want server stable before launch :D

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the help Jacubb :) really appreciate it. Yes there is only going to be about 10-20 testers before i decide to upgrade ^_^
I want server stable before launch :D
Basically if you looking to get famous and avoid down time i suggest you get a dedicated server cause VPS from ovh goes down by DDos attacks as hell.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Frameworks should be installed by default, if not, you can install them via Server Manager or how it's called. MSSQL you can install normally like any other software.

Yeah got it working ^_^ server is up and running without any problems.

Just need to figure out web

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi , if this open was make about this info i wanna too ask something
I just buy VPS Server - Windows 2008 x64 and now i wait until they finish and wait to received e-mail with information about connection , i have few question .

1). How i can connect to the server ? with remote desktop connection ?
2). When server is ready to use what programs i need to install i mean after i install SQL Server need to install something else?
3). I have 1 ip lets say 12.12.12.12 , with this ip i set in muserver and can I redirect to domain ?
4). Know anyone some domain ? I found only for 1 year but i dont wanna buy for 1 year ..... 1 month because im not good in this and for start is perfect 1 month payment .

ImperiaMuCMS CEO
Loyal Member
Reaction score
1). How i can connect to the server ? with remote desktop connection ?
2). When server is ready to use what programs i need to install i mean after i install SQL Server need to install something else?
3). I have 1 ip lets say 12.12.12.12 , with this ip i set in muserver and can I redirect to domain ?
4). Know anyone some domain ? I found only for 1 year but i dont wanna buy for 1 year ..... 1 month because im not good in this and for start is perfect 1 month payment .

1. Yes, use remote desktop.
2. Things like .NET Frameworks and Visual C++ packages are usually pre-installed on Windows Server platforms, so you will have to install stuff like text editor for editing server files and maybe some webserver if you will want to host website on the same machine.
3. Yes, it will be your global IP so you must use it in server files configs everywhere, where should be global IP (ConnectServer and game client). If you will host on this machine your website, you will have to redirect your domain to this IP too.
4. You can buy domain only for 1 year or longer. You can buy com domain for ~5-10 USD, it's not a big deal.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
1. Yes, use remote desktop.
2. Things like .NET Frameworks and Visual C++ packages are usually pre-installed on Windows Server platforms, so you will have to install stuff like text editor for editing server files and maybe some webserver if you will want to host website on the same machine.
3. Yes, it will be your global IP so you must use it in server files configs everywhere, where should be global IP (ConnectServer and game client). If you will host on this machine your website, you will have to redirect your domain to this IP too.
4. You can buy domain only for 1 year or longer. You can buy com domain for ~5-10 USD, it's not a big deal.

Thanks ,

1). About the firewall should i set On or offline firewall from the windows ?

2). I use zteam season8 ep.2 wich port i need to block ? from what i know they have diferent port but i dont know wich port i need to block and wich one i need to allowed .

3). LoL , how to download SQL Server ? is to big , i just copy muserver file from my pc to vps and have 14mb and takes 32 minutes :|

Last edited:
ImperiaMuCMS CEO
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Thanks ,

1). About the firewall should i set On or offline firewall from the windows ?

2). I use zteam season8 ep.2 wich port i need to block ? from what i know they have diferent port but i dont know wich port i need to block and wich one i need to allowed .

3). LoL , how to download SQL Server ? is to big , i just copy muserver file from my pc to vps and have 14mb and takes 32 minutes :|

1. Keep Windows Firewall enabled.
2. You need to block DataServers and allow ConnectServer and GameServers.
3. Download of Express edition is available directly on Microsoft's website.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
How do i change my ip numbers on my vps to domain name ? 5.21.2342=blablabla.com ?
do i just buy domain ? on any website
i have try no-ip and it dosnt work so i am not sure if i buy domain will it work ?

Reaction score
How do i change my ip numbers on my vps to domain name ? 5.21.2342=blablabla.com ?
do i just buy domain ? on any website
i have try no-ip and it dosnt work so i am not sure if i buy domain will it work ?

After you buy a domain, you need to park it to your host (host ip)
i do that mostly with cloudflare ;)

register at cloudflare free/ add domain xxxxx.com then u will get some nameservers 1 and 2
go to your site where you bought your domain from and select the domain you bought, set nameservers - and use the nameservers you got from cloudflare, then go next steps in cloudflare and put the ip's of the server in the cloudflare domain settings and wait abit and it should work.

Back