• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

2 modems 1 DSL line

Reaction score
Can i have 2 different DSL modems on one telephone line?
I've searched google and couldn't find anything useful other than connecting 1 router to the other router.

The problem i have is that i have a younger brother and has to be up at 8AM everyday, and modem goes of at 10PM, and i work from 6PM till 4AM and only chance i get on the internet is from 4PM when i get up before i go to work and when i get back at 4AM till i got to bed at 8AM and i can't switch it on when i get back from work at 4AM because soon as internets on hes up and on it and never gets to Ducking sleep, and if dont get to sleep before 12AM/1AM hes in bed all day so he misses college.

Anyway back to what i asked, can i have another router from another phone line in my house?
If so, how, can't find poop on the net.

Cheers.

Evil Scottish Overlord
Legend
Reaction score
What router do you use? You can alternatively, and much more simply, set permissions on the router to block the MAC address/IP address (providing you use static IPs) of his device between x and y times.

edit: the other alternative option is if your router supports VLANs you could create a guest network for your brother, apply permissions to that, change the password on the primary network for yourself.

Reaction score
It's a crappy sky router, one of there old ones, i'll look into getting a new one a limit his internet at times on days, i can do it with the sky router but for some reason it dont work everyday, its setup for 10PM till 8AM sunday to friday but it only works when it feels like it, some days it works some days it dont and hes on the same ip all the time so idk..

Reaction score
What do you mean the modem "goes off"? I think the most pertinent question is why the internet is only accessible between those times.

If you are referring to 2 internet services running on a single line (single phone number), then no it cannot happen.

If you want to run 2 internet services on 2 separate lines (2 different phone numbers) at a single premises, then yes it is possible. If the lines are existing, ISP can just jumper the 2nd one to the exchange & you can connect your modem to it. If it's not existing, ISP's can run another line to your premises for a fee.

If you want to run a single internet service on a single line & have 2 modems connecting to it, then yes it is possible provided they are not connected at the same time. They would both simply need to be configured with the ISP username & password, and one would need to be disconnected before the other can be connected onto that line.

If you are saying that the modem is turning itself off (or disconnecting) at those times, someone must have set some specific timer in the modem config. If you know the ISP username & password you can do a factory reset of the modem & then re-setup the modem with those ISP details. That should remove any timer someone has configured on it.

Back