• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

[360] Three Red Lights "Of Death" [360]

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I Have A 360[Duh] And I Have It Messed Up Somehow.Overheating, I Guess Or Something. And EveryTime i try to start it up, i get Three Red Lights. My Friend Says They're Called "The Three Red Rings Of Death".
How Do i Fix It?
;/

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Three Red Lights

Bad news! This is the hardware failure message. It can also be caused by a power supply failure though, so try powering down and cooling everything off before panicking and crying.

I get the same thing sometimes. Just unplug everything and leave it alone for a few minutes.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
It's Been Like That for A Few Weeks :p We Unplugged the 360 For 3 Days, Then it Still Didnt Work

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
You don't fix it, there is a problem with your hardware, so you must ring up M$ and get them to fix it, provided your still under guarantee you will get it done free of charge (which is 100% likely, as 3 red lights problem has a 3 year guarantee).

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Cool :p I Just got it Last Christmas

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I've had mine for a year and no problem. Honestly if you just took care of the 360 nothing would happen to it. give it room so overheating doesn't occur, make sure it doesn't fall, getting hit or anything of the sort, make sure it doesn't gather massive amount of dust, etc. Sounds like a lot but it isn't/ it s really all about where you put the 360.

Supreme Arcanarch
Reaction score
I've had mine for a year and no problem. Honestly if you just took care of the 360 nothing would happen to it. give it room so overheating doesn't occur, make sure it doesn't fall, getting hit or anything of the sort, make sure it doesn't gather massive amount of dust, etc. Sounds like a lot but it isn't/ it s really all about where you put the 360.

I heard that some of the batches are more likely to suffer with this problem than others, faulty components and such, hence why microsoft will fix this problem for free virtually no questions asked.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Trust me, it usually has nothing to do with how you take care of the 360, there is a reason why Microsoft extended the warranty on the 3 red lights...

Yes, what Gohan has said, I had mine in a perfect position, didn't use it for extended periods e.t.c. and then one day it eventually died (after nearly 2 years), and when I got it back from them, they had ticked the box for "replaced motherboard." If anyone else has had 3 red lights what was wrong with their system? If lots of people have broken motherboards I would start to become worried :S.

Reaction score
It's actually the solder, they use some type that let's loose to easily. Except for that the 360 is quite stable.

This was also a big problem, before Microsoft would just redo the solder that let loose, and would return it, only being sent back a month later or so because another 1 let loose. Now they are putting in new stuff to stop those problems, and they probably redo the bad mainboards so they can put them in new 360's.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be under guarantee as it goes back under warranty if it has the three red lights

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Yes, what Gohan has said, I had mine in a perfect position, didn't use it for extended periods e.t.c. and then one day it eventually died (after nearly 2 years), and when I got it back from them, they had ticked the box for "replaced motherboard." If anyone else has had 3 red lights what was wrong with their system? If lots of people have broken motherboards I would start to become worried :S.

yeah mine was motherboard too and i'd had mine since the week it was released lasted up until about august this year. but yeah send it back to m$ and they'll do it for free.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
yeah mine was motherboard too and i'd had mine since the week it was released lasted up until about august this year. but yeah send it back to m$ and they'll do it for free.

I'm getting really suspicious now, because that is exactly the same for me, three red lights came in August, and I had got it at launch...

Back