• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook pagefor updates, or we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.)

Advice on a small upgrade

Reaction score
I've got it all together now and it's been great but now I'm having problems!

I played some LoL and had the settings on highest, had a steady frame rate and was loving it till my pc just shutdown! It wasn't off but just hanging there unresponsive and I had to turn it off to restart.

Trying to find out the problem atm but getting nowhere fast!

edit: Taken my graphics card out and it's no longer just dropping on me. I wonder if it's a gpu / driver issue? In any case I've re downloaded the latest drivers and I'll try my card in again soon.

further update: I've put my 8800gts back in and after 10 mins or so browsing with no problems I launched LoL, it started fine, I thought to make a test game with bots and try different settings in game. After character selection as the game began to launch my pc died again :( Same as before, the monitor says it has no input, the audio stopped and it just hung there till I held the power button.

I've left the card in and I'm just going to browse for a bit longer and see what happens.

final edit..... for now: I think my PSU must be getting weak in its old age! It seems like the most reasonable explanation after loads of messing around :p Gonna pick up a new PSU in a few days, will let you know when it's finally working properly!

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I bet as soon as a load was put on the new Graphics card, it was probably shutting off because of power fluctuations (Safety Feature). Are you using the 2x4pin to a single 6/8pin pigtail dongle to get power to your graphics card?

I have done this before with an older power supply, and can say it does put a strain on the older PSU.

Chnces are your current PSU is not putting enough required amps to the card and its clicking off when in use.

Keep giving it a test, hopefully thats the fix!

Another thing, 100% uninstall all drivers and reinstall from scratch, it could possibly be a profile setting that is causing it to go a bit funky. Another thing, check your CPU temps.. if it is pushing over 60C on idle you will need to pull off your heatsink and reseat it with a proper heat transfer paste (MX-4 and arctic silver are great).

Reaction score
Hey man thanks for the reply, it certainly seems to be the issue atm. My graphics card takes a 6 pin plug. I did a power calculation on the asus site and it said I should have 550w as a minimum. I've got a 550w in but it's years old and I think it's arthritis is playing up!

I've had the pc on for hours now with the gpu out, tomorrow while the wife is out I'm going to steal her system and test my card in it as hers is stable.

I'll try reinstalling my GPU drivers from scratch tomorrow too, I actually re downloaded them earlier today.

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Cool, hope they help you out! (Drivers)

I am almsot positive its the PSU kicking up. Typically, the older the power supply, the less power it can draw - aging and such on it.. generally I replace my PSU every 3-5 years or sooner.

The other option, is that it -may- possibly be a defective GPU.. which isnt uncommon to have, in that case its as simple as contacting Newegg or whomever you purchased the item from and getting an RMA process set up.

Reaction score
Well, I tried a fresh install of my GPU drivers and all seemed fine for about an hour till it just cut out and my pc rebooted itself. I unplugged my monitor from my GPU and plugged it into my mobo to use the onboard and the monitor came back on right away with my post-bsod report.

I used a program called bluescreenview and googled my problem which is apparently the driver ntoskrnl.exe so I'm going to try and repair my windows installation!

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
It could also be the temperature, because it's a very old GPU so it probably can't handle the game and overheats and shuts down to prevent damage to your pc.

That's what happened to me when playing bulletstorm with a 9600GT (had i5-2500k) then I upgraded to GTX 560 and all problems gone.

Reaction score
try the beta drivers;

wlldo, im 90% sure it's my psu now though.

It could also be the temperature, because it's a very old GPU so it probably can't handle the game and overheats and shuts down to prevent damage to your pc.

That's what happened to me when playing bulletstorm with a 9600GT (had i5-2500k) then I upgraded to GTX 560 and all problems gone.

It cuts out even if I leave the system doing very little, the gpu never cut out in my older system and I've not been playing anything intense yet, only mir2 and league of legends.

Back