Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

AMD Launchs "Bobcat"

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I just noticed that AMD just launched their lower end "bulldozers" known as the "bobcat". Any take on these chips? They are fairly cheap and pretty impressive for such a cheap price. They have no L3 cache which isn't a big problem since they have a 4mb L2 cache (better L2 cache is faster then L3). I hear AMD plans on launching a BE for the same core, anyone see any overclocking potential in these chips? Also they support "Crossfire" style graphics with the on-chip GPU. Hence you drop in a 6000 series PCI-E card, and your additional card + on-chip GPU will work together as what they call "Duel GPU".

Last edited:
A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
They perform at the rate of an i3 CPU vs CPU, but as far as onboard graphics when paired against the like priced i3.. the GPU output is almost exactly double. The i3 was playing the same games at about ~30-32 fps.. while the bulldozer was pushing over 60fps.

Fantastic news for laptop and media devices, as well as HTPC servers... May give me a good reason to pull the low end card out of my current HTPC and replace it with a bulldozer chip. Much less wattage, lots quieter, and performs a tad bit better.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They perform at the rate of an i3 CPU vs CPU, but as far as onboard graphics when paired against the like priced i3.. the GPU output is almost exactly double. The i3 was playing the same games at about ~30-32 fps.. while the bulldozer was pushing over 60fps.

Fantastic news for laptop and media devices, as well as HTPC servers... May give me a good reason to pull the low end card out of my current HTPC and replace it with a bulldozer chip. Much less wattage, lots quieter, and performs a tad bit better.

What catch's my eye, is the crossfire type of support with a single 6000 series card and the built in GPU working together. Such a huge bonus for budget gamers. Which is quite astonishing, since the APU has 400 of its own Radeon cores. Sorta like buying a 6950 and having 6970 benchmarks.

Last edited:
Back