Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

AMd x2 or Intel Core Duo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Im building my ultimate gamin rig at the end of this year and im looking at buying the nvidia 8800 or 8950 gtx (which ever one is out at the time). Ive been looking around at it seems to me that the amd works best with nvidea crads. Althought from many people i have heard core 2 duo is the way to go. What do oyu guys think?

Legendary Battlemage
Reaction score
well by the time you get ready to buld it phemons will be out and phemoms will be way beter than C2ds

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
I say AMDx2, I've never liked Intel's CPU's at all. They duck up after a while, and just slowly get slower. I've had my AMDx1, and it still works great. So I say go AMD. duck Intel ^^

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
you should go with intel atm...cause they are faster ->atm<- then the amds ....i would pick the e6600-e6700 :)
the amd 6000 is as fast as the intel 6420 ...maybe abit faster or slower i dont know
-
Remember these are just my opinions ^^

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
You mostly nee dot look at your upgrade options.

AM3 (AM2+) a.k.a Phenoms are coming out fairly soon, and any current AM2 socket will support them, and the AM2 chips are darn cheap as well for the performance you get (High price to performance ratio) with no need to overclock them for great performance.

Intel chips (right now) lead the market in terms of speed and power, the only advantage AMD has is the Memory Bandwidth, which for a comparable comparison, the e6600 vs. the AMD x2 6000+ with decent PC 6400/DDR2 Ram... the e6600 may pull about 6000 megs bandwidth, as opposed to the AMDx2 6000+ giving 10,000+ bandwidth..

This may be very important in the upcoming graphics processors, especially when the phenoms are released.

In short, if you are looking for somethign at the end of next quarter give or take, you have to decide if you want more power now, or lots more power later.. hence, intel now, phenom later.

Reaction score
Anyways you need to wait to decide on what to get until a month before you plan on getting it.

The AMD K10's and the Intel 45nm's come out at the end of this year. Which is better? The Intel 45nm's are. But the thing is they come out latter and might not be out when you get them.

Also AMD might be able to tweak the K10's for higher speeds and could then compete against the Intel. Not to mention the prices of them might say something else.

The Intel might be $999 while the AMD will be $499. But if the performance is only ~5% less it would be better to save the money and go AMD and not to mention AMD's high end CPUs will work in dual sockets so you can get two for the price of one Intel. Saying if they keep to the same price as the current ones.

I'd like to see the Phenom against the Penryn core :eek:

Penyrn clocked 50% higher then a K10 will be 58% faster. So performance to watt is much closer but the Intel will still lead. And also have the advantage of Hyper-Threading. So the quad core Penryn will be able to handle 8 independent threads. Then again the K10 will be much lower in power and vastly higher bandwidth.

So in the end it'll be cool to see how they will be. That is dual K10's VS a single Penyrn. (should be same power draw and cost) My guess would be the K10's would win out. Though Intel is planning on making a Dual CPU system also. Though it will probably be doubled in cost of the dual AMD setup.

NoPeace - out

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Anyways you need to wait to decide on what to get until a month before you plan on getting it.

The AMD K10's and the Intel 45nm's come out at the end of this year. Which is better? The Intel 45nm's are. But the thing is they come out latter and might not be out when you get them.

Also AMD might be able to tweak the K10's for higher speeds and could then compete against the Intel. Not to mention the prices of them might say something else.

The Intel might be $999 while the AMD will be $499. But if the performance is only ~5% less it would be better to save the money and go AMD and not to mention AMD's high end CPUs will work in dual sockets so you can get two for the price of one Intel. Saying if they keep to the same price as the current ones.

Penyrn clocked 50% higher then a K10 will be 58% faster. So performance to watt is much closer but the Intel will still lead. And also have the advantage of Hyper-Threading. So the quad core Penryn will be able to handle 8 independent threads. Then again the K10 will be much lower in power and vastly higher bandwidth.

So in the end it'll be cool to see how they will be. That is dual K10's VS a single Penyrn. (should be same power draw and cost) My guess would be the K10's would win out. Though Intel is planning on making a Dual CPU system also. Though it will probably be doubled in cost of the dual AMD setup.

NoPeace - out

-nods-

The real war going righ tnow is to reduce the bottleneck between the GPU and CPU.. and I am figuring that the dual chip Phenom option is goign to do much better then any single chip out there.. can't wait to see, Im excited! :)

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Though it will probably be doubled in cost of the dual AMD setup.

Hmm, that's unlikely as Intel will need to keep up with the competition in not just performance but price also, so they will more than likely try to drive prices lower than AMD ones. Wouldn't make sense for them to go and invest all of that extra money and time to get dual cpu's and then end up with nobody buying them because AMD has cheaper ones ;)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
WEll sure enough i have relized that im plannign thsi pc way to early as by the ne dof this year alot more new stuff will be out....
i was plannign to use the e6700 and a 8800 gtx but by the time im ready to buy the 8950's and the phenoms will be out...

But my max budget is close to 900

Reaction score
Hmm, that's unlikely as Intel will need to keep up with the competition in not just performance but price also, so they will more than likely try to drive prices lower than AMD ones. Wouldn't make sense for them to go and invest all of that extra money and time to get dual cpu's and then end up with nobody buying them because AMD has cheaper ones ;)

The same people who buys the $1000 CPUs will be buying the dual $1000 CPUs. They are only there for show and that's it. Only 1% of sales goes to the high end market. It's just there for bragging rights and with Intel. Price doesn't matter.

Pentium 4 EE where always $999 and a $400 AMD 64 could easily beat it. Though it never caused Intel to drop their price.

WEll sure enough i have relized that im plannign thsi pc way to early as by the ne dof this year alot more new stuff will be out....
i was plannign to use the e6700 and a 8800 gtx but by the time im ready to buy the 8950's and the phenoms will be out...

But my max budget is close to 900

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Core 2 duo. Phenom have no benchmarks at this time. C2D 6850 will be better than 6800XT and cheaper (No XTreme Edition). Waiting = Never Buying. AT THE MOMENT buy a Core 2 . That's all.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Iv'e built like 60 comps and in 75% of them I've used amd.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hmmm....

Thanks for your help im sure ill have more questions soon !!

Retired s'2010
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I say Intel Core Duo, I use it and it is perfect for my server:

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I donno about you guys but i HAD amd and now i HAVE Intel ... and i must say that the extra $$ i spent on the Core 2 Duo was not wasted

Btw I like got close to 2000 3d Marks (on FutureMark 3dMark 2006) ... donno about you guys but I'm impressed

Reaction score
I donno about you guys but i HAD amd and now i HAVE Intel ... and i must say that the extra $$ i spent on the Core 2 Duo was not wasted

Btw I like got close to 2000 3d Marks (on FutureMark 3dMark 2006) ... donno about you guys but I'm impressed

No need to bump up an old thread.

NoPeace - out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back