• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

[C#] Sprite Sheet Testing

Master Summoner
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Due to recently playing Sonic 3 again (The Thread in the gaming section reminded me of it so i got a rom of it :tongue:)

I decided to figure out how Sprite sheets work and i (THINK?!) I did it the correct way. :tongue:

Its a simple app where you can select the 'Mode' and speed of the sprite character (In this case its sonic)

And it animates the sprite (Through the one sprite sheet)

Jeax - [C#] Sprite Sheet Testing - RaGEZONE Forums

Anyway,

EXE On its own is here:

Source:

Could anybody perhaps tell me any 'better' ways to do things like this (I'm going to presume theres got to be a better way)

~ Jeax

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Would be 10x easier to write sprite based programs in VB but it depends on how and which GUI system you want to use (e.g. directx?, openGl?)

Regards,
Vynsan

Supreme Arcanarch
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Cool, when I was noob I've always wanted to do a sprite based game, didn't even tried because moved to pure 3d. ;D

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Would be 10x easier to write sprite based programs in VB but it depends on how and which GUI system you want to use (e.g. directx?, openGl?)

Regards,
Vynsan

And C# using OpenGL/DirectX is 10x faster in execution speed ^^.

Anyways, this is what I'm looking for in the near future, but then in C++. I'll try to figure out how you do it :p

Cool, when I was noob I've always wanted to do a sprite based game, didn't even tried because moved to pure 3d. ;D

2D is much easier with pathfinding, collision detection etc. Also, all files are much smaller, your map files would be much much smaller. Also, in 2D you probably need less textures. AND!, in 2D I find it easier to make good looking things, while in 3D you'll need to add a lot of models like grass and tree's to make the world not as empty as most MMORPG's I see on this forum.

I'll move to 3D, but it will be top view. I find top view to be much better in how things look then first person. Yes, if your game would use the CoD4 engine it would look cool, but with large maps you shouldn't even bother...map making would be a hell of a job.

Supreme Arcanarch
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I'll move to 3D, but it will be top view. I find top view to be much better in how things look then first person. Yes, if your game would use the CoD4 engine it would look cool, but with large maps you shouldn't even bother...map making would be a hell of a job.

Like MuOnline?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Like MuOnline?

Yup, I like it. You have a good overview of what happens and you don't have the problem that users can view a lot of terrain at once, so you have a more consistent FPS. Mythos looks better though, but it's newer aswell ;)

But 2D can be very good. Just add some of the 3D effect most games use, like ripple or a great particle system for explosions. There's a game which is 2D with a lot of nice features. Can't remember the name...

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
And C# using OpenGL/DirectX is 10x faster in execution speed ^^.

Anyways, this is what I'm looking for in the near future, but then in C++. I'll try to figure out how you do it :p

2D is much easier with pathfinding, collision detection etc. Also, all files are much smaller, your map files would be much much smaller. Also, in 2D you probably need less textures. AND!, in 2D I find it easier to make good looking things, while in 3D you'll need to add a lot of models like grass and tree's to make the world not as empty as most MMORPG's I see on this forum.

And i said vb would be 10x faster to use because its easier and more simple to work with 2D compared to C# if your not an expert.

If you did make a 3D style of engine and it was very stable and effective at most stuff its programmed to do then the chances are you would get a sponsor to pay for modelers etc to make the maps and the worlds for you, but still your talking about a lot of years work doing it all on your own, if i was ever to make a 3D game engine i would have to do it as part of a team and program it objected based (aka features are plug ins). Anyways 3D/2D development isn't really my thing at the moment, I'm learning about the theory around C#,C++,xml etc for my next college course.

Regards,
Vynsan

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
And i said vb would be 10x faster to use because its easier and more simple to work with 2D compared to C# if your not an expert.

Yes I know, but I generally prefer execution speed above developer speed, and since VB is so much slower most companies don't use it aswell. Best is to use it for what it's made: business GUI applications.

If you did make a 3D style of engine and it was very stable and effective at most stuff its programmed to do then the chances are you would get a sponsor to pay for modelers etc to make the maps and the worlds for you, but still your talking about a lot of years work doing it all on your own, if i was ever to make a 3D game engine i would have to do it as part of a team and program it objected based (aka features are plug ins). Anyways 3D/2D development isn't really my thing at the moment, I'm learning about the theory around C#,C++,xml etc for my next college course.

I'm in a team that is making a 3D game, in 1 year we've gathered more members and made a design document and a lot of other documents, all very detailed. We have only just started working on the actual engine. All in C++. It takes a lot of work, and you have almost zero chance of getting a sponsor. Millions of people make 3D games, why would they sponsor _you_?

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Yes I know, but I generally prefer execution speed above developer speed, and since VB is so much slower most companies don't use it aswell. Best is to use it for what it's made: business GUI applications.

I'm in a team that is making a 3D game, in 1 year we've gathered more members and made a design document and a lot of other documents, all very detailed. We have only just started working on the actual engine. All in C++. It takes a lot of work, and you have almost zero chance of getting a sponsor. Millions of people make 3D games, why would they sponsor _you_?

Because if you had an extreme effective engine then they would sponsor you or buy it from you, most 3D games are underrated and to many people give up on there 3D Games, most games that hit the market are made by companies not dev groups, so someone who is that 'brothered' about making a game should start a company and get money from the banks, its possible.

Regards,
Vynsan

Back