• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Changing Hard Drives

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well, ever since my other PC has broken, I've been wanting to get some files off it.

The computer I'm currently using has two hard drives (That's all I know :() and so does the broken one. I want to take one of the two out of the broken PC & put it in this (Which means, Im guessing I would have to take out one of two out of THIS PC) I just have a few questions

What is involved, Is it as simple as just changing the cords then reconnecting them to go back to old HDD? them?

Can you tell me how I know that they are compatable?

How do I know which out of the two has windows installed.
& What are the risks of it?

Cheers, Exploit.

***EDIT***
Sorry, it's in wrong section. Can a mod please move it to Tech Help?
Thnx :) & Sorry again.

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
First up.. what type of connection are they using? SATA or IDE? IDE is the long 40 wire thin cabled style, and SATA is the smaller 3/4" style plug on the end.

If it is IDE, then the Master (the first drive plugged in on the cable and/or labeled as Master on the Cable) is your windows install. If it is SATA, then 'usually' it would be the one plugged into Sata Port 1.. but since your old broken computer is broken and using only two hard drives, I am guessing it is an IDE Setup.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thnx for the reply, now would just removing the second hard drive and putting the other one in it work or is there more too it?

Would I have to install it somehow?

Cheers, Exploit.

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
The only problem, is if you are trying to move an old hard drive with a windows install, to a newer computer.. chances are you will get blue sreened on bootup because of hardware incompatability and drivers. You may have to reinstall windows (after backing up information) onto a new hard drive first.. and then plug your newly installed Windows in on the Master, then plug your secondary windows in on the Slave and make sure the jumper pins on the back of the hard drive are in the correct position (Or in Auto mode.. most are already in Auto though)

That way you will be able to boot up in yoru new install of windows, and browse the older drive to pull any files off you wish to save befor eyou format and clean it up.

Back