• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Computer Build?

Master Summoner
Reaction score
Basically, I wrote out a nice post, but firefox, being as crappy as it is, closed on me so i'll cut it short.

Im new to building computers, I need some help, got some basis from new egg and what not but still need some opinions and help

Someone mentioned to me something about dual video cards, I dont remember, all I remember was something about nvidia motherboard. Anyone got an idea?

Code:
New build
Motherboard - EVGA 122-CK-NF63-TR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Processor -  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail 

RAM   OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Micron D7 Chip Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail 

Case  Sunbeam Transformer IC-TR-BA Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail - Retail 

Power Supply -  Antec NeoPower 650 ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail

Hard drive -  Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Why bump a thread that's already on top..

Get yourself a Dell and you wont have to think about what to buy.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Im new to building computers, I need some help, got some basis from new egg and what not but still need some opinions and help
i wouldn't recommend trying to build your own computer untill you had some more
experience with building computers

Master Summoner
Reaction score
I've actually watched video tutorials and, its not that hard also, it will help me learn better how to make computers, I had someone help me out. Found everything but the video card, what do you think of this?

Motherboard - EVGA 122-CK-NF63-TR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Processor - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

RAM OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Micron D7 Chip Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Case Sunbeam Transformer IC-TR-BA Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail - Retail

Power Supply - Antec NeoPower 650 ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail

Hard drive - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

And, I rather spend 1, xxx or whatever on a good computer instead of buying an overpriced piece of crap Dell. For the same price, I can get something better.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'd say a 8800GTX.
If you can wait, wait for the 8900's.

Not worth it at all. The 8800GT's are about $300 and are nearly as fast as the GTX. So for a little more then the price of a GTX you can get SLI GTs.

Anyways the second system seems good. The EVGA 680i boards are great. I've built two systems with them and they are solid boards. The Q6600 is a damn good processor also. Also Dominiator RAM is over priced. Get the regular Cosair XMS2 ram. Just as good but doesn't have the over priced heat sink on top. I got 4x1gb sticks of that and they run awesome.

NoPeace - out

Master Summoner
Reaction score
Not worth it at all. The 8800GT's are about $300 and are nearly as fast as the GTX. So for a little more then the price of a GTX you can get SLI GTs.

Anyways the second system seems good. The EVGA 680i boards are great. I've built two systems with them and they are solid boards. The Q6600 is a damn good processor also. Also Dominiator RAM is over priced. Get the regular Cosair XMS2 ram. Just as good but doesn't have the over priced heat sink on top. I got 4x1gb sticks of that and they run awesome.

NoPeace - out

Hm, I was talking to my friend and he said the Corsair ram isnt very good, but I'll look into that. I guess I'll read some reviews, thanks NoPeace :D

I'd also like to add, which Corsair XMS2 Ram? There are a few.

Narrowing it down a bit in type, which one

DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

The mother board is DDR 800 supporting to 1200, so I should go for the DDR 1066 I guess?

EDIT:----

I also wanna know, since I dont need anything too powerful for a video card right now since there is always room for upgrades, How is the NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT? and whats a good price range for it?

Reaction score
Hm, I was talking to my friend and he said the Corsair ram isnt very good, but I'll look into that. I guess I'll read some reviews, thanks NoPeace :D

I'd also like to add, which Corsair XMS2 Ram? There are a few.

Narrowing it down a bit in type, which one

DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

The mother board is DDR 800 supporting to 1200, so I should go for the DDR 1066 I guess?

EDIT:----

I also wanna know, since I dont need anything too powerful for a video card right now since there is always room for upgrades, How is the NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT? and whats a good price range for it?

Cosair is damn good RAM. Just as good as OCZ RAM. It may not be the best of the best like Crucial is but it is a lot cheaper and nearly as good.

I have 800mhz @ 4-4-4-12 timmings which is more then fast enough for any Intel setup. The 1066mhz @ 5-5-5-15 is the exact same RAM and just costs more money.

NoPeace - out

Back